Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The spooky calm before the storm

Mike · 5 · 1253

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
The spooky calm before the storm
on: October 18, 2007, 02:52:47 AM
I live in Western Washington State right around Everett. Now, tomorrow we're scheduled to get 30-40mph winds with gusts around 50mph. Not a hurricane, but enough to cause power outages and some damage.

At 5:00pm I walked the dogs like I normally do around our 61/2 acres. You'd think they'd take a run around on their own, but they don;t so I have to walk them, run them, play with them to get them to MOVE! The lazy buggers! LOL! Anyhow it was quite pleasant, some clouds, not raining, lite breeze, a comfy (for me) 50-55 degrees. Generally we see about 3-4 rabbits, the same ones every night at their usual places and various birds flying around doing their bird things. Not today, not one single rabbit, no birds ..... just the distant chirp of the occasional cranky squirrel. It's eerily spooky, this calm before the storm.

Good thing I got the generator all setup and test run. Plenty of groceries and fresh gas with Stabil, bar oil and two stroke mix so have plenty for the chainsaw.

Just yacking, thanks for reading. Add your tales, be interesting to see what other folks notice before these types of things.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: The spooky calm before the storm
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:09:11 AM
Good luck...hopefully your internet connection won't be down for long!

I love storms...we haven't had one here in months :-[
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:23:55 AM
Must be the wildlife can sense the low barometric pressure?

We get those hard blows here in northern Michigan this time of year as well. Anything over 50 knots (90 km/h) is called Edmund Fitzgerald Winds, after a big freighter that sank in a storm on Lake Superior when I was a kid. A very sad story. Hard to believe it was over 30 years ago.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:45:08 AM
Oh, I don't lose internet access unless I want to lose internet access. LOL! Besides the generator, the DSL router is on a battery backup, as is the wireless access point. Then, both our computers are laptops so they have their own batteries too. So, I can continue posting ..... much to the chagrin of many people. Muwahahahahaha!

Gordon Lightfoot did a song about that wreck. I like the song, even though it's a sad story. It's kind of haunting.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:06:48 AM
Must be the wildlife can sense the low barometric pressure?

We get those hard blows here in northern Michigan this time of year as well. Anything over 50 knots (90 km/h) is called Edmund Fitzgerald Winds, after a big freighter that sank in a storm on Lake Superior when I was a kid. A very sad story. Hard to believe it was over 30 years ago.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Edmund_Fitzgerald
Your right about the animal's being able to detect the shift in pressures :)

That's a very strange design of ship ???, I've not seen one like that before with a superstructure, fore and aft, but then I'm not exactly a maritime expert ::)

Good luck waiting out the storm mate, enjoy the sites and sounds if you can (safely) :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD