Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Balance

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Balance
Reply #120 on: December 17, 2011, 11:33:53 AM
hmm 3.8 inch length is very close to the 4 inch length of charge/spirit tools.

That is a real shame, this tool has the bare minimum on it, the most useful tools, in a nice package. But if it is going to be the same size as a LM charge or Vic Spirit, or even close, then it cannot compete, they pack pretty much everything under the sun.

This would have had to be LM juice width and length for it to really stand out.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #121 on: December 17, 2011, 02:07:27 PM
hmm 3.8 inch length is very close to the 4 inch length of charge/spirit tools.

That is a real shame, this tool has the bare minimum on it, the most useful tools, in a nice package. But if it is going to be the same size as a LM charge or Vic Spirit, or even close, then it cannot compete, they pack pretty much everything under the sun.

This would have had to be LM juice width and length for it to really stand out.

I'm sorry to say I agree with this, and this tool has just lost a fair chunk of appeal for me. Up to the size on an XE6 I could have lived with. Beyond that, there's several other tools I'd rather have in my pocket. That's a real shame actually as I was looking forward to this new "small" tool  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #122 on: December 17, 2011, 06:24:18 PM
Well that's what these forums are for... To be informed. All above points taken (and valid), it's still a very cool design and very pocket friendly for it's size. To appreciate it, you have to place more value on the one hand opening pliers, larger blade and bit drivers etc.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #123 on: December 18, 2011, 11:11:24 AM
one handed opening pliers doesnt make much sense if the rest of the tools arent OHO, real shame they didn't make that a feature of the knife  ???

Who knows, maybe they will make some changes before release, that is if they still plan to release it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #124 on: December 18, 2011, 11:23:57 AM
one handed opening pliers doesnt make much sense if the rest of the tools arent OHO, real shame they didn't make that a feature of the knife  ???

Who knows, maybe they will make some changes before release, that is if they still plan to release it.
I'm not sure I agree with that.  Yes, it might be nice if some if the other tools were also OHO, but the fact they aren't doesn't make the fact the pliers are less useful IMO.  That's certainly true of my MP400 and 600 anyway. :)

I'm also sure we'll see a new version at SHOT, lets just hope it makes it onto the shop shelves this time. :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:26:49 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: December 18, 2011, 03:27:28 PM
Doesnt make the pliers less useful, no, but surely anyone in their right mind at Gerber would realise that if they are going to use that as an advertising point for the tool (which they may not), it would be strengthened considerably by being able to say the other 'essential' tools are also OHO, especially the knife.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #126 on: December 18, 2011, 03:49:23 PM
Well if you want easy and quick OHO pliers and a OHO blade then you're going to have to look at other Gerber options I think, the Flik springs to mind.  Lets be fair there's almost no MT's that are all OHO, the Buck X-Tract being one of the very few exceptions I can think of.  Owing that almost no other MT manages it I'm not sure that it's fair to single out this tool for criticism.  :)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: December 18, 2011, 05:12:19 PM
Gareth I think you misunderstand, probably because I am not expressing myself clearly  :)

I am not criticizing the Balance because of this, I am saying they missed a trick in that it would be a very strong selling point if they could advertise it as being compact, carrying the essential tools we use very often, AND being one handed opening, including the pliers, with the sliding design being unique to Gerber.

As it is, I am not so much bothered about this, but disappointed with the size of this tool, it seems too big to justify having only 4 tool along with the pliers.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #128 on: December 18, 2011, 05:42:56 PM
Well that's what these forums are for... To be informed. All above points taken (and valid), it's still a very cool design and very pocket friendly for it's size. To appreciate it, you have to place more value on the one hand opening pliers, larger blade and bit drivers etc.

Fair point! The knife for me is always an achilles heel on tools - I tend not to use them (well, most of them anyway). OHO pliers can be nice at times and the drivers do look very nice. I still wish Gerber would put it on a boil wash to try and shrink it a bit  ;)

I'm also sure we'll see a new version at SHOT, lets just hope it makes it onto the shop shelves this time. :D

I'm looking forward to see what changes have been made  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #129 on: December 18, 2011, 07:31:20 PM
Gareth I think you misunderstand, probably because I am not expressing myself clearly  :)

I am not criticizing the Balance because of this, I am saying they missed a trick in that it would be a very strong selling point if they could advertise it as being compact, carrying the essential tools we use very often, AND being one handed opening, including the pliers, with the sliding design being unique to Gerber.

As it is, I am not so much bothered about this, but disappointed with the size of this tool, it seems too big to justify having only 4 tool along with the pliers.

Ah, OK.  I was indeed missing your point then I think, but that's just as likely to be my fault as yours. :cheers:

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #130 on: December 19, 2011, 12:56:42 AM
I think there is always something that bothers someone about any tool. Not  any all OHO multis out there that i know off. I think the biggest selling point here is the OHO pliers combined with other outside opening tools.. No inside opening tools .That's a handy package and not many can say that
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:00:53 AM by Accujohn »

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #131 on: December 28, 2011, 09:54:07 AM
Just took a second to check out the Gerber site to see if anything new is posted on this tool. It is no longer shown on the site except for the pdf of the 2011 catalog where it is permanent. Wonder if this is a good sign or bad. They may be preparing for it's new january release?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #132 on: December 28, 2011, 10:33:49 AM
Just took a second to check out the Gerber site to see if anything new is posted on this tool. It is no longer shown on the site except for the pdf of the 2011 catalog where it is permanent. Wonder if this is a good sign or bad. They may be preparing for it's new january release?

that would be my guess.  I can see Gerber wanting to forget the stalled 2011 release and just focusing on the 2012 one. :)

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #133 on: December 28, 2011, 06:45:38 PM
This is a reply from Gerber:

Hi there!
The Balance wasn't released last year, although in was in the catalog. We are releasing it this year, likely in February!

Thanks for your interest.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #134 on: December 29, 2011, 03:23:27 AM
This is a reply from Gerber:

Hi there!
The Balance wasn't released last year, although in was in the catalog. We are releasing it this year, likely in February!

Thanks for your interest.

Good news that :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #135 on: December 29, 2011, 08:40:29 AM
I agree- the Balance seemed like a very good tool when I saw it, and I'm really looking forward to it as a production model.

In just another couple of weeks I promise I'll be grilling the folks at Gerber over what happened!   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #136 on: December 29, 2011, 09:28:34 AM
Maybe the same thing that happened to their kick axe a few years back?  :P

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #137 on: December 29, 2011, 12:54:13 PM
As much as I would have loved one of those it struck me as a liability nightmare.  :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #138 on: May 31, 2020, 07:58:36 AM
I just snagged a knock-off of the Gerber Balance. The ZGB Slide-Out Multipliers. These:

The sliding mechanism is the same, but there are differences. The pliers are a different shape and have bypass cutters instead of the anvil cutters the Gerber has. The scales are different, and are only held on by two screws. The Gerber balance scales are held on by many screws. And finally, the tool load out is different. There is only one driver (the micro size), and no scissors. Instead it has a blade, a saw, the bitdriver, and a dual opener tool with can and bottle openers, which is similar to the Suspension's opener tool.

The blade is very sharp out of the box, and even the can opener edge can cut paper well. the driver on the end of the can opener is also well-defined with sharp edges. All the outer tools are non-locking, and instead have strong backsprings.  The handle splay is a little on the large side, but still WAY less than the NXT's splay. The pliers are spring-loaded, and open the same amount as, and are generally the same size as, the NXT plier head.

It appears to be a very good copy of the Balance, and with an arguably better tool load-out. While I'd gladly give up the openers for the scissors, I don't think everyone would.

Now, the limitations of this tool are pretty much the same as the balance. It feels too big in my hands, it's difficult to open without the whole pliers jumping out of my hand, and the tool selection is pretty minimal compared to the large size. But it's a smooth tool that is easy on the pockets. The bitdriver is well designed - even though there is no lock, the ergonomics are such that really pushing on the screw wants to keep the driver open, not close it. So, that's nice. The driver is also *almost* in the center of the tool.

Note, the opening on this tool isn't as smooth as the Balance. Actually, as it opens the handle splay increases, so you have to make sure you're not gripping it tightly. I don't believe the balance does that. The balance isn't spring-loaded either, I don't think.

That said, as far as Chinese knockoffs go this one is absolutely top notch.

Charles.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #139 on: January 19, 2021, 08:29:48 PM
Having edc’d a balance at work for the past 5yrs solid. Mine (green version) has virtually no paint left on. Typically I then read that the green version was supposedly the less common colour.
I grabbed a dark grey model last year in a sale. Today I thought I’d look for a green one too.
Found one, last in stock, reduced to £30
Just been informed it has already been dispatched
Really pleased I scored both colours.

Another late addition to the Gerber collection.  :facepalm:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #140 on: January 19, 2021, 10:40:20 PM
Glad you got them, and after reading about your good experience with it for the past five years, "better late than never". Pictures when you get them! :tu: :popcorn:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #141 on: January 19, 2021, 11:13:49 PM
Glad you got them, and after reading about your good experience with it for the past five years, "better late than never". Pictures when you get them! :tu: :popcorn:
The dark grey version is somewhere in the loft ??
But I’ll definitely upload a picture of the green version next to the one I’ve carried for the past 5yrs.
My user has amazing patina

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #142 on: January 20, 2021, 01:10:44 AM
Having edc’d a balance at work for the past 5yrs solid. Mine (green version) has virtually no paint left on. Typically I then read that the green version was supposedly the less common colour.
I grabbed a dark grey model last year in a sale. Today I thought I’d look for a green one too.
Found one, last in stock, reduced to £30
Just been informed it has already been dispatched
Really pleased I scored both colours.

Another late addition to the Gerber collection.  :facepalm:

I thought you were done collecting   :D

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #143 on: January 20, 2021, 06:34:01 AM
I thought you were done collecting   :D

I am
But the Balance has earned my respect, despite earlier misgivings.I’ve never once shown it any love whatsoever. But yet when it mattered it tried its best. Hard not to respect that.
I’ll be sad when it eventually breaks or gets lost. Both the new ones are just for collection. I may look for another yet, as a back up for my user.

The Balance tweezers have never, not EVER failed to work. They are utterly amazing.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #144 on: January 23, 2021, 06:51:05 PM
My brand newBalance arrived today
I’m so pleased I managed to get another Green version.
Here’s a few pics of my new green balance next to my edc green balance

See if you can spot the difference...

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #145 on: January 23, 2021, 09:15:59 PM
One is new and the other is old .

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #146 on: January 24, 2021, 04:14:40 AM
 :iagree:
But...it appears also that the lock button is shaped differently; the older has kind of a bar in the middle, while the newer is rounded?  :dunno:

Also, the "Balance" on the newer is "double lined"/ wider and the one of the older is thinner type.  :dunno: :dunno:

Anyhow, great tools, and glad you're able to enjoy them.  :tu: :cheers:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #147 on: May 04, 2021, 07:04:10 AM
I found out the other day that you can order a new Gerber Balance directly from China via AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002241560136.html

Charles.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #148 on: May 04, 2021, 10:35:06 PM
I bought it.  Probably counterfeit.  But quality is good!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #149 on: May 05, 2021, 01:28:17 PM
I bought it.  Probably counterfeit.  But quality is good!

Might not be made with any agreement from Gerber, but there is a good chance it's come out of the same factory it always did.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%