Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Balance

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Re: Gerber Balance
Reply #90 on: November 12, 2011, 06:47:32 PM
Interesting story John
Thanks for sharing

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #91 on: November 14, 2011, 10:36:21 PM
I heard back from Knifecenter (who had listed the Balance as discontinued) and they said they were told at the time in no uncertain terms that there would be no Balance in 2011. They didn't address next year. So, that doesnt seem too good. Not for a speed to market big manufacturer. I know fb told me to watch for it in 2012 but there were no specifics like season or early/mid/late. Has this happened with Gerber before? Oh, and I also emailed Gerber directly but no response. I even sent them pics. They only responded to the fb inquiry
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:55:26 PM by Accujohn »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #92 on: November 14, 2011, 11:04:50 PM
Actually this is a little surprising, Gerber seem to be one company that have been really quick with releasing a product once it's been announced.  They certainly seemed geared up for a summer release IMO, so I'm guessing there was a very last minute and disastrous hiccup.   :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: December 04, 2011, 04:03:11 PM
this looks very interesting if the quality and size are spot on.

It seems to have just the most useful tools, a normal and small bit driver, knife scissors and pliers.

If it is juice size as Grant said, that may just make it a must-have tool.

And I hope it has metal handles rather than plastic.

I've read through the thread but can't be sure its been mentioned, are the tools locking?

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #94 on: December 04, 2011, 06:18:19 PM
Mine has aluminum handle scales and same on the slide button. My thoughts earlier were that it would be hard for gerber to stay within their expected price point without going to plastic but who knows.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #95 on: December 04, 2011, 09:45:08 PM
Too bad Gerber will not communicate more but they do a good job with releases usually. Unlike sog :-)

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #96 on: December 04, 2011, 10:30:36 PM
If its in their new catalog then that will be encouraging

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #97 on: December 04, 2011, 11:39:16 PM
At this point in the year they are probably waiting for the Shot Show so they can re-announce it for 2012 ::)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #98 on: December 05, 2011, 12:45:41 AM
At this point in the year they are probably waiting for the Shot Show so they can re-announce it for 2012 ::)

Yep, Im sure that's the plan! They want it to unveil it for 2012. They should re-name it to the "Actual Balance" or the "Suspense".

Is Shot in Jan?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: December 05, 2011, 12:50:26 AM

Yep, Im sure that's the plan! They want it to unveil it for 2012. They should re-name it to the "Actual Balance" or the "Suspense".

Is Shot in Jan?

Yep, the 17th thru the 20th. :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: December 06, 2011, 12:45:24 AM
Hmm I wonder what they would be doing with a re-design. Apart from aesthetics, they dont have too many tools to play with. Maybe one handed opening on the blade? That would be sweet.

In a way shame for us UK users the knife is locking, otherwise would be legal.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:53:39 AM by Raukodur »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #101 on: December 06, 2011, 01:14:47 AM
I'm kinda hoping that they're loosing the smaller bit driver.  Surely the whole point behind having a standard bit driver is that it can give you a huge range of size and type of tips? :think:  Doesn't that make having the smaller one somewhat redundant?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: December 06, 2011, 08:52:26 AM
what would you have them replace it with?

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #103 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:11 AM
I guess i could argue for or against the additional driver. It's a pretty limited slot or space for whatever goes there. 2 bigger issues for me are #1. Why they didn't go with a standard bit size. And #2 if the tool will actually be produced. I've said before that the tool is a tad complex in construction and function. I totally believe that they may have run into production or cost roadblocks. Given that, what will be the changes that make the tool a reality? I am skeptical about the Shot show re-release because if they had a date then their promised retailers would know and they would be more forthcoming with specific information as to what part of 2012 it would appear. Hope they get er done soon though. It is an interesting design and I'd love to see how it does for Gerber. Gerber may very well be taking this design very seriously. It's very different for them and done correctly could be a big seller. So, all this limbo could be their just wanting to get it right before release. That would be very smart
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:57:36 AM by Accujohn »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #104 on: December 06, 2011, 06:46:58 PM
what would you have them replace it with?

My gut reaction would be a file. :)

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #105 on: December 06, 2011, 10:02:43 PM
Yeah, a file crossed my mind... Or a pen or an awl or something. I think a file makes the most sense. You might be able to fit a saw (thin). I'm also still waiting for that beverage holder :)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: December 06, 2011, 11:38:13 PM
Would have to be the next 'most used tool' after knife, screwdriver, and scissors.

Would file fit that category? awl? prybar?

Some sort of awl/prybar combo (is that even possible!?) would be perfect IMO.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #107 on: December 07, 2011, 10:36:23 PM
Nice!
A

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: December 15, 2011, 07:28:50 PM
Accujohn can you post pictures of this with it lying on its side, so we can see the implements in open and closed position when looking down on the handles rather than from the side. I want to get an idea of how wide it is, because it looks very fat.

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #109 on: December 16, 2011, 01:03:46 AM
Accujohn can you post pictures of this with it lying on its side, so we can see the implements in open and closed position when looking down on the handles rather than from the side. I want to get an idea of how wide it is, because it looks very fat.

Yep! I'll try to do that tonight

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: December 16, 2011, 02:03:02 AM
Ok first, here are some shots to help with thickness. Let me know if I got this right
DSCN3716.jpg
* DSCN3716.jpg (Filesize: 45.73 KB)
DSCN3718.jpg
* DSCN3718.jpg (Filesize: 38.26 KB)
DSCN3723.jpg
* DSCN3723.jpg (Filesize: 47.08 KB)

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: December 16, 2011, 02:06:12 AM
I mentioned a few times before that this tool is a tad complex in construction... lotsa parts and tight fits. Here is a picture of just 1 example. This is the pivot joint behind the sliding pliers and button lock. It's why I can see them having production/cost issues.
DSCN3725.jpg
* DSCN3725.jpg (Filesize: 35.19 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: December 16, 2011, 07:34:25 AM
good pictures John. :tu:

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: December 16, 2011, 12:47:39 PM
Its a shame the pliers are so thin. They look almost LM squirt like in terms of their narrowness and profile.

I can see the reason, its to fit the knife and scissors in the outside opening configuration.

But that isn't a necessity, the Vic Spirit handles this perfectly to give one example, the long deep tools like its file, knife, saw, and scissors are all at the edge of the handles, and reside under the curved lip, so they don't take up any extra space, and the pliers are nice and fat.

Now I don't know if that is possible with the sliding plier head gerbers, but I always find it a shame when you have a tool like this and the pliers seem too small for the tool, like a 'shrunken head' almost.

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: December 16, 2011, 08:39:54 PM
Ok, If we are comparing the pliers to a SQUIRT then a few size comparison pictures are in order because that's not a fair comparison. My bad for not doing a size reference shot until now :) This is the Balance next to my old JUICE C2. I don't have a Squirt. The Plier head to it's handle ratio is another issue, but the pliers are very usable. Also keep in mind that the pivot is hidden under the handle (unlike the juice) so you have to add that to the actual size of the Balance pliers vs. Juice. Cheers!
DSCN3730.jpg
* DSCN3730.jpg (Filesize: 50.15 KB)
DSCN3732.jpg
* DSCN3732.jpg (Filesize: 43.92 KB)
DSCN3734.jpg
* DSCN3734.jpg (Filesize: 52.16 KB)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:43:49 PM by Accujohn »

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: December 16, 2011, 08:40:45 PM
another for handle thickness/ length
DSCN3735.jpg
* DSCN3735.jpg (Filesize: 55.14 KB)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: December 16, 2011, 08:58:33 PM
Nice comparison pics  ;)

Just to clarify my original post, its not so much the size that I was comparing to a squirt, but the 'design' in terms of the thickness of the pliers. And yes, whereas the tool is larger than a juice, its plier heads are about the same size, which is exactly what I was saying, its disproportionate which for some reason bugs me, but I can begin to see its a necessity with the way the tool is designed.

You do make a good point that because the pivot is hidden in the handle, that makes the pliers look smaller. I wonder how that affects how much force you can get out of them?

Would you be able to compare its size to Vic spirit, or LM charge?

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #117 on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:12 PM
Btw, the pliers feel very strong and sure. Good grip too. I don't, however, have any plans to put it to the test  since it's a prototype.

A long time ago in my knife collecting days I found a one of a kind Benchmade with a damascus blade and no cutting edge applied to it. ( not dull, no edge bevel at all). It was interesting but at the time i thought a knife w/o an edge was like a bull without balls. So i had Shane Sibert apply a custom edge to it. At any rate, i never heard the end of it on the BM forum. I ruined an extreme rarity, yada yada. Live and learn :)

On charge/spirit request..i don't have either of those models at the moment. You could send them to me though ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:44:17 PM by Accujohn »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #118 on: December 16, 2011, 11:08:01 PM
another for handle thickness/ length

Wow! That's surprised me - I'd expected something Juice sized or a little bit smaller.
Thanks for the pics  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Gerber Balance
Reply #119 on: December 17, 2011, 12:03:50 AM
No, it's a fair sized tool. Not sure of weight. Aluminum scales help, I'm sure, but still on the hefty side... Just checked advertised specs: 3.8" length fully closed. And weight 7oz. Alternately the fully loaded juice xe6 is a half inch shorter but nearly the same weight at 6.7oz. Thickness on the balance is just over 5/8" or exactly 11/16".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:55:44 AM by Accujohn »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD