Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Skeletool mod plans

ca Offline lictor4

Skeletool mod plans
on: January 21, 2011, 03:45:12 PM
I was really torn between a MUT and Skeletool, while searching for my first Leatherman. In the end, reason won out and I ordered a Skeletool, since my original goal was a simplistic EDC. Though the MUT is my favorite I knew it would be a bit unrealistic to carry it all the time (for me anyway)

I've been very inspired by the awesome mod that have taken place here and decided to add the things I like about the MUT to my skeletool, though it hasn't even arrived yet...

-storage of one long bit (& maintain the extra short bit storage, if possible)
-hammer & pry bar
-convert bottle opener/beaner into rescue-style "V" cutter (possibly with replaceable blade?)

I've got some sketches I'll try upload later and eventually photos of my progress :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Skeletool mod plans
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:53:03 AM
Wow, those sound like some ambitious plans Lictor! :tu: Looking forward to seeing your progress. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 04:51:44 AM
Good luck i would love to see your progress

oh and some must have reading!!
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20842.0.html

I keep this bookmarked if evil ever ends up updating or any news!

ca Offline lictor4

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:07:22 AM
Ya that thread was definitely the starting point for realizing the Skeletool could "have it all". He has done an amazing job with that project!

First question (many more to come):
Is there a good source known for torx screws to replace the rivet fasteners on the Skeletool?

ca Offline lictor4

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 06:14:40 AM
Basic plan for the hammer outline with integrated cutter
I'm hoping that I can make enough room in the bit holder to house the long MUT-style bit, we'll see when it arrives.
Hammer/cutter housing extends all the way to the existing tang(is that what you'd call it?) or if I get really ambitious and skilled, I'll replace the existing part with one custom piece that extends the full length of the handle to the hammer but.

But just for dreaming sake, here's the long bit acting as a guard for the cutter blade and also making room for the short but to stay in it's (modified) holder

A modified "eye bolt" will secure the Phillips end of the long bit (eye bolt not drawn in the previous sketch)

a bit of a pipe dream but we'll see how it progresses...

ca Offline lictor4

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:51:25 PM
Well I've actually got the skeletool now and after a few weeks of EDCing, I've made my first cut(into the tool that is)

I've cut up the carbon fiber insert so there's space in in the bit holder for 2 normal bits, or one long MUT bit.

I ordered MUT replacement bits from here: trailexplorers.com/leatherman-mut-replacement-long-bits-p-958.html
It came with 3 bits, long flat head/phillips combo, long robertson/torx combo and short (small)flat head/phillips combo
Which works out perfectly for my idea, keep the short combo bit in the the drive and the long phillips combo in the modified bit holder.

I was worried that the long bit would be a lot looser and prone to flying out after this mod but it has turned out to be a LOT tighter that the original setup(almost too tight since the bit is so close to the bolt and rivet)

The holder can actually hold 2 normal bit, they feel more secure that the original one bit holder but I'm not likely to EDC than kind of setup

I've changed my game plan  a bit since my original post. I'd like another folding blade in there somewhere, but more on that later.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:26:30 AM
Looks like you're off to a good start Lictor! :salute: How did you go about cutting the carbon fiber if I may ask? :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline lictor4

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:59:09 AM
There is a 1" "carbide shaping disc" in my rotary bit kit, it is fairly thin and cut really well. Then I used some other rotary bits and sandpaper to further shape and clean up the cuts. My first time cutting into carbon fiber, pretty amazing stuff!

ca Offline lictor4

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 06:11:03 AM
I finally got the pics off my good camera, so here is a slideshow of this mod.
youtube.com/watch?v=13eo1xr9bpA

And here are a couple more pics of my latest idea. Add a serrated, gut hooked blade(a la Charge TTi) to the beaner area. This keeps with my original idea of using that area for a belt cutter but also allows for a serrated blade that could be used when the handles are straightened out. Not totally decided on how to best lock the blade in the knife position but it'll be a while before I get the nerve to grind off that rivet anyway

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 08:42:45 PM
 :worthless:

The video still works though:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30