Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinion, Swiss tool or SOG powerlock

ca Offline darkhawk

on: January 21, 2011, 06:15:29 PM
Hay group
I was the proud owner of a SOG Power Lock then it was liberated by a contractor at work
 :rant:
ANYHOW moving on!

I have saved my pennys and cannot decide do I replace my Powerlock or get a swiss tool? Both are not an option.

For the SOG I liked the ability to mix and match my tools and never worry about sending it away also its durable with the compund leverage.  I mixed into it a roberts as well.  I did carry a second poutch with a 1/4" addapter and some bits.  Well there is that new bit holder that may just fit behind the tool in the sheath.

so will a swiss tool be a good work horse?  I like that i can get the bit kit with it and other accessories for it. (http://www.victorinox.com/product/1/100/1008/1112/3.0339.L) Would these extra ratchet and all that be better then a simple poutch and addapter.  How do you carry the extras that  come with this tool?

throw some opinions at me, much appreciated

peace
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 06:47:22 PM by darkhawk »

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Re: Opinion, Swiss tool or SOG powerlock
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:43:47 PM
For me a key issue is scissors. SOG's are terrible. Vic is much better.

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 10:48:44 PM
simple enough
thanks for the input ill add that to the considerations!

i have been reading and looking i just cant seem to decide

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:33:13 AM
Yeah Vic has WAY better scissors. Overall I think the Swisstool is a much better tool, and more durable overall, but on a jobsite the Powerlock may be a better choice if only because of the maintenance issues. If it's an EDC that will see some hard use, get the Swisstool, if it's something that is going to get pounded on at job sites all the time, the Powerlock may be the way to since tool breakage and getting it all grimed up will be a higher possibility, and these issues are easier to deal with in the Powerlock.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 01:35:40 AM
Asking this in the Swiss Forum means you are likely to get some more biased answers than if you'd asked in the General Forum.

Sure folks may prefer the SwissTool over the SOG, but how will you know for sure when you only ask SwissTool fans?  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 01:59:59 AM
Get both. It's the only way to be sure.
 ;)
G

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 02:02:40 AM
thebullfrog thanks for your opinion that helps alot!
I was thinking along simular lines but in not owning a swiss tool I did not know how to rate it, as a work horse, sure work will offer harder daily use, thats why i went with sog for the ease of chaning my own pieces.
"If it's an EDC that will see some hard use, get the Swisstool," thats good to hear!!  If guys got swiss tools out there working hard, them im liking that.

Now grant I hear what your saying smart to pick up on that about, actually that was kinda part of the plan, as I already had a sog I know first hand think of it while my gut was to replace what I had I always had my mind on the swisstool, even after i bought my sog.

I am at the moment i can get the swiss tool cs plus and the sog powerlock. 
i can get the but ratchet on the swiss and for my sog i have the 1/4 addapter.

Since doing this job i carry my multi when i got to get right into a job i bring my tool box so the real hard use days are getting behind me now but some times this tool is the main tool!. 

thanks for the inputs it helping!!

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 02:03:40 AM
Get both.  The Powerlocks are really quite cheap.   I have way too many Powerlocks if you want to trade for one let me know.
:)

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:07:26 AM
On last thing is that the ST have really good resale value here. If you get one, use it (but not destroy it) you'll be able to sell it here no problem.

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 02:07:42 AM
i cant get both at the moment
BUT
cheap you say? humm...

in my town here? the swisstool RS is 132 and the sog is 99, 162 for the swiss tool csplus and thats the one i am looking at
so i guess it is, and thats more than just a name stamp I assume.

ummmm
thanks

resale eh, never considered that, i do not plan on destroying it, infact i got the sog and expected to be harder on it and really have not needed the spare parts I got. 

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:09:21 AM by darkhawk »

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 02:11:02 AM
i cant get both at the moment
BUT
cheap you say? humm...

in my town here? the swisstool RS is 132 and the sog is 99, 162 for the swiss tool csplus and thats the one i am looking at
so i guess it is, and thats more than just a name stamp I assume.

ummmm
thanks

resale eh, never considered that, i do not plan on destroying it, infact i got the sog and expected to be harder on it and really have not needed the spare parts I got.

Have you thought about buying online? Felinevet is way cheaper than that.

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 02:17:28 AM
I am a little old fashined that way but you guys use that guy then maybe i will think about it a bit closer

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 02:22:00 AM
I am a little old fashined that way but you guys use that guy then maybe i will think about it a bit closer

Yeah, if you don't know about him, all the profits help for cat surgery. He also has great prices and fair shipping prices.

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 02:24:59 AM
I was just reading that actually, thats cool!!
ya i will put some thought into it i think save me money too win win

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 02:35:52 AM
If you aren't using it all that hard and the Powerlock is holding up, then the Swisstoo would likely work fine for you. It's an amazing tool. I've owned both. I lost my Swisstool about a year ago and am stil upset about that. I don't use my Powerlock often, but it lives with me in my EDC bag. I prefer the Swisstool overall, but the Powerlock is a fantastic tool. I would really recommend the Swisstool personally, especially seeing as you never needed to replace any tools on the SOG. IMO the Swisstool is tougher, so if you haven;t broken the Powerlock, you won't break the Swisstool. It is a bigger hassle however if you do break the thing.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 02:38:59 AM
I don't own a Swisstool, but I do love my Powerlock, even though it has been replaced in my EDC (earlier today).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:40:34 AM by yud »

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 02:51:29 AM
If you aren't using it all that hard and the Powerlock is holding up, then the Swisstoo would likely work fine for you. It's an amazing tool. I've owned both. I lost my Swisstool about a year ago and am stil upset about that. I don't use my Powerlock often, but it lives with me in my EDC bag. I prefer the Swisstool overall, but the Powerlock is a fantastic tool. I would really recommend the Swisstool personally, especially seeing as you never needed to replace any tools on the SOG. IMO the Swisstool is tougher, so if you haven;t broken the Powerlock, you won't break the Swisstool. It is a bigger hassle however if you do break the thing.

thanks for your inputs
i was worried about the hassle of breaking something but this far outo f my multis the only thing that broke was a small screw driver on a LM blast, so maybe i am not as hard on tool as i would have expected

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 03:01:13 AM
One thing to keep in mind tho is the steel in the Swisstool is relatively soft. It'll wanna bend more than snap, but the tools are crazy thick for a multi so thats not the issue. The issue is the Phillips is fairly easy to chew up if it slips in the screw, and it doesn't take much to put some fairly deep scratches in it. Even seemingly light duty things tend to leave marks, and I have somewhat deformed the Phillips on my Swisstool Spirit S. It's not a big deal, but something to be aware of. On the flipside, I've snapped both a plier head and a saw on Powerlocks (both my fault). The Swisstool is a tough beast, just bear in mind the metal is a bit more maleable than you may be used to. The plus side is that it helps absorb abuse. The tool will deform and likely be fixable, rather than just snap suddenly and need to be replaced.

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 03:09:37 AM
Interesting! I was truly unaware of this
so that explains why most used swisstools i have seen look real used.
oh um wait you snapped a plier head! wow you a monster

I was worried about a non replaceable Phillips that was a big factor in the first sog decision but with the cs plus I get that cool bit wrench (i assume it fits in the sheath too)

well i am reallying leanign to the swiss tool i tried SOG no bad experience but this is sounding good now that i know what i am getting into

really thank-you

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 03:28:01 AM
The Powerlock is a really good tool, but as an EDC the Swisstool edges it out IMO. If I had to choose one, it'd be the Swisstool, but that doesn't stop me from carrying my Powerlock around everywhere.

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 03:54:20 AM
Down the road I will hopefully own both!
But I think i hear what your saying!
thanks

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 10:25:57 AM
I can't pass any comment on the SOG as I've never handled one, but I bag carry the Swisstol CS Plus and have found it to be a phenomenal tool. I have bought a few other multitools since then but nothing so far has come close to evicting it from the bag. I've used it at work (engineering company), at home, friends, and family homes for DIY & repair projects. I've used it at the boat and in the great outdoors. I am careful about getting it too dirty (even though I put it in some challenging environments) as if gunk gets in the machanisms it may be hard to remove, and I am sensible in my use of tools, never expecting them to do more than is sensible, so the softer steel has not been an issue for me - and I'd rather chance deformation than breakage anyway.

I think you'd be very happy with a ST CS +, but I can't say whether you would be more or less happy with the SOG

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 10:27:38 AM
Don't forget Victorinox has one of the best Warranty's . If you did chew up the phillips they would sort it . Other usefull Swisstool tips ........  The pry bar really can pry , it very tough. The Saw is one of the best on any multitool .The serrated blade cuts better then a Spyderco imho .The Scissors ( if you go for the X or RS) are better then any other big brand multi imho.The Awl is very good .Fantastic corrosion resistance .The Ruler is easy to use .

I also recommend Felinvet , he's very honest and a genuine good guy .

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 11:06:39 AM
Thanks guys

I heard mixed things so to have the question answered and not just reading on a review is something more so thank-you!

I think i was being over worried when buying the sog and it turns out I am not that hard on a multi's. 

I think I will go swiss tool over sog for this time, I am looking at the Swisstool CS+ and maybe or the swisstool spirit plus, they seem real simular

This has been very helpfull! thank-you guys

I do see that changing my own pieces out is easier with a sog but ill look into sog warrenty

Anyone have trouble with the springs?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 11:26:59 AM by darkhawk »

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 11:09:42 AM
I can't pass any comment on the SOG as I've never handled one, but I bag carry the Swisstol CS Plus and have found it to be a phenomenal tool. I have bought a few other multitools since then but nothing so far has come close to evicting it from the bag. I've used it at work (engineering company), at home, friends, and family homes for DIY & repair projects. I've used it at the boat and in the great outdoors. I am careful about getting it too dirty (even though I put it in some challenging environments) as if gunk gets in the machanisms it may be hard to remove, and I am sensible in my use of tools, never expecting them to do more than is sensible, so the softer steel has not been an issue for me - and I'd rather chance deformation than breakage anyway.
I think you'd be very happy with a ST CS +, but I can't say whether you would be more or less happy with the SOG

Thank-you for the your input! real great reply

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 01:38:06 PM

Thank-you for the your input! real great reply

No probs - happy to help

Anyone have trouble with the springs?

Which springs?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 03:01:21 PM
If you mean the scissor springs, then yes they can break, but are super easy to replace and cost almost nothing. If you meant the locks, then no, never seen a problem, and again the warranty would cover it if by some freak occurrence they did have an issue.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%