Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone got a Vic Expedition Lite?

ca Offline somniloquist

Anyone got a Vic Expedition Lite?
on: January 23, 2011, 07:29:10 AM
Hi folks,

This knife has got me very intrigued. I already have a Vic Traveler and Altimeter, but being able to add the saw and file to the Traveler seems very appealing. Does anyone have one of these? What are your impressions? Also, it seems like it might be a Europe only item. Are there any North American dealers that may stock these?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone got a Vic Expedition Lite?
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:24:43 AM
I've got one, and I like it!  However, it's really just part of my collection at this time and it does not get any real use so I can't really comment on how it is as a regular EDC or anything.  Since you have some similar knives I think you can get a pretty good idea of the Expedition Lite.  I happen to like the scales that are used on the digital knives much better than the other translucent scales. I really prefer in-line Phillips if I'm going to need to use such a screwy driver; and this has that and probably every other essential and general purpose SAK tool.  If I did not carry a Spirit it would be a candidate for EDC, but not the only candidate.  If you need any of the electronic features then that really makes it attractive.

It still does not yet seem to be importanted into North America, but in the past a saw a couple sellers carry a couple they must have imported themselves.  No problem, easy enough on the internet to buy it from another continent.

Compared to other similar options, I think it comes down to the electronic features, and if you prefer the LED light over the Magnifier. The Cybertool Lite might be something to consider, but since the other knives you mention have the electronic scales the Expedition Lite might really be the one for you.

au Offline Vemo

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:28:13 AM
I have a Traveller and love it! I know a lot of you don't like electrics on a knife but I've used the alarm clock when travelling and the altimeter and thermometer when camping. I've even used the light on occasion. Victorinox even have a very cute pouch for it with a window for the display and a hole for the light to shine through...
I didn't realise there was a model with a saw - that would make it great for camping, I'll check out my German dealer, thanks.
Ian

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:05:19 PM
This thread had me looking at the Expedition Lite, and it does indeed look like an excellent traveling SAK, but WOW it's not cheap!

Best of luck finding one mate and welcome to the forum. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline somniloquist

Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 05:18:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I have been eyeballing this one for a while and have only just figured out that you can buy the knife separate from an "expedition kit" which tacks on another 100 dollars or so to the price.

I EDCed a Traveler for a long time and loved it. I also agree with ICanFixThat that these particular translucent scales are excellent. In fact, they may just be my favourite type of scales on Vics, aside from alox, of course. The hunt is on!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 05:38:16 PM
Ya I bought mine without the kit because it just didn't add to the value for my uses.  With the kit it would make a great gift for someone.  It sounds like you'll really like it.  Good Luck!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 07:56:37 PM
I came VERY close to buying one at the Vic dealer in Seoul, ROK I used to go there all the time.   They are VERY expensive and VERY thick.   Hence, why I turned it down and bought a Traveller Lite (that got stolen between the time my house hold goods were packed/shipped in/from Korea last June, and delivered last August in the USA; I got a replacement one 3 weeks ago after a 4+ month wait from a place in CA that sells them).

The added saw and metal file made no sense to me when I bought a Traveller Lite for around $110, vs. nearly $200 for the Expedition Lite.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline buck

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 12:57:50 PM
I know this is an old thread but all threads are "old" in 120 days and for someone specifically searching like myself I think it's better NOT to have things scattered about in N threads.

I bought the expedition lite kit for $125 + shipping from Canada on ebay and consider it well worth it.  That seller no longer has any but there are other sellers that have it listed for $169 OBO at this time.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=sog+TiNi&_osacat=1401&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvictorinox+expedition+lite.TRS0&_nkw=victorinox+expedition+lite&_sacat=0

Size is on the order of the SwissChamp which to me is still perfectly usable.

I love the frosted red translucent scales that only come on these models with digital features.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Expedition+Lite
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 08:28:54 PM
I am pretty sure Jazzbass has one. I have never seen one for sale.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:40:10 PM

I saw several on ebay last night they were offered by international sellers (far east and EU)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 08:44:42 PM
I never look at that high of a price. They are up there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:03:53 PM by GigaHz »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 10:00:40 PM

I have two, actually. The first I picked up in Italy on a trip over 3 yrs ago. I got it for my collection but used it as an EDC while I was there. I liked it so much I picked up a TSA seizure about a year later and put it in my EDC rotation. It's by far my favorite knife to take out hiking. The altimeter and thermometers work surprisingly well and the tool selection is perfect. I got the second one for about $40, which is a steal considering what I paid for the first one new (€120 IIRC when it was €1 to $1.25).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%