Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One good reason not to buy a cheap Multi-Tool!

us Offline RFOneWatt

One good reason not to buy a cheap Multi-Tool!
on: January 28, 2011, 03:14:43 PM
Because you just never know....

http://bit.ly/fcUZke
Want a free and easy way to share files between all of your computers & mobile devices? Install this now and thank me later! http://bit.ly/eL1KjV

ca Offline darkhawk

Re: One good reason not to buy a cheap Multi-Tool!
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:41:06 PM
chilling thought

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:26:25 PM
To be honest I don't think that's a very good way of testing a blade  ::)
You could loose your arm!  :ahhh
Everything’s adjustable

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:09:45 PM
I really want to see this film .

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:26:56 PM
with a surge he would have been home in time for supper ::)

on a side note i saw an interview with the real guy explaining in detail his ordeal

That guy is one tough ......!

x2 on seeing that movie with Franco.
:like:    :MTO:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:10:14 PM
Didn't realise the fact it was a cheap tool was such a plot point in the film.  If only he'd had his SAK.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:18:06 PM
He actually tried to sew Doug Ritter of Equippedtosurvive.com because of what doug had written about him .

Also he stopped at the Leatherman stall at one of the shot shows and said he wished he had one of them on him at the time .

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 12:17:16 AM
I foundthis clip on youtube of Aron Ralston interview explaining how he cut his arm off .

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 01:31:00 AM
terrifying stuff.  Just imagining having to cut my own hand off......

us Offline RFOneWatt

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 03:02:40 AM
Ugh. Surreal.

I foundthis clip on youtube of Aron Ralston interview explaining how he cut his arm off .

Want a free and easy way to share files between all of your computers & mobile devices? Install this now and thank me later! http://bit.ly/eL1KjV

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 03:27:54 AM
Yeesh, not many things in this world give me creeps, but listen to him describing the ordeal and imagine doing it to myself sure did!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 04:13:15 AM

If it weren't such a morbid "real" event, that clip would make a fine Leatherman commercial! :salute: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 09:40:15 AM

If it weren't such a morbid "real" event, that clip would make a fine Leatherman commercial! :salute: :D

Yes he could have been home two days earlier  :rofl:  and if he had a SURGE!!!!!!! with him he could have pounded the rock into tiny peices .

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 01:27:10 PM
Could you imagine if it was one of us who was in that situation . Multitool comparison test .

" Well the Wave plain blade went through the flesh on my left arm with ease but the saw didn't perform aswell as the Vic Swisstool on the bone , after that I decided to do the same test on my left leg with a LM Surge and a Gerber Diesel ....  "

:rofl:

us Offline RFOneWatt

Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 05:21:54 PM
Dunc, I was thinking the exact same thing. Would have been nice to have a sharp pair of scissors for the tendons and nerve.

He ALMOST had his http://bit.ly/eKiAf6

It was just an arms length away.. <grin>

:climber:

Could you imagine if it was one of us who was in that situation . Multitool comparison test .

" Well the Wave plain blade went through the flesh on my left arm with ease but the saw didn't perform aswell as the Vic Swisstool on the bone , after that I decided to do the same test on my left leg with a LM Surge and a Gerber Diesel ....  "

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 09:34:42 PM
Wouldn't fancy getting the blades out one handed though.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 11:16:58 PM
Dunc, I was thinking the exact same thing. Would have been nice to have a sharp pair of scissors for the tendons and nerve.

He ALMOST had his http://bit.ly/eKiAf6

It was just an arms length away.. <grin>

:climber:

This film really could be an advertising coup for Vic and, I suspect, most top brand MT makers.

Wouldn't fancy getting the blades out one handed though.

I'm actually pretty good at opening standard 91mm Vics one handed.  That I'm a south-paw helps I think, the nail nicks are in the right place.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 11:55:46 PM
Off topic... but nice avatar. :tu: My family still has a working C64 in my parents basement, and it gets used. :cheers:

Oh, and on topic... I hadn't heard of this movie, but now I'm interested- it sound like a good one. And my choice of MT would have to be the Surge. :P
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:58:03 PM by NeitherExtreme »

us Offline RFOneWatt

Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 09:18:19 PM
Off topic... but nice avatar. :tu: My family still has a working C64 in my parents basement, and it gets used. :cheers:

Oh, and on topic... I hadn't heard of this movie, but now I'm interested- it sound like a good one. And my choice of MT would have to be the Surge. :P

Thanks! :)  I was actually just interviewed by the site http://www.c64.com/  - I'll let you try and figure out who I am.  :D 

The Commodore 64 was a very big part of my life when I was young. I'm glad to hear that your ole' C-64 is getting some love in 2011. :)

Anyways, the movie 127 Hours was pretty good.  The director did a good job of making it as interesting as he could. Not awesome or anything but not a waste of time either. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I like to think I'd never be in that situation however if I was, I would have had my Charge TTi.  If for some reason I didn't have a Charge w/ me I would have a Gerber MP600, I'm sure.  (that is my backup full-size MT)

Hmmm.. Now that I think about it I might just need to pick up a quality pocket knife.

spam Offline SLT.AMBEMC

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 10:15:18 PM
I just saw the movie, it is very good. The director manged to make the story of one guy stuck in a ravine cinematographic. It is not the cutting I found harrowing but the snapping of the bones! I am not sure I could break my own arm but cutting it, actually, I think I could after 6 days in a canyon, with no water, gangrene setting in and the perspective of a certain death. I thin itis well presented in the movie, how he came to that conclusion after exhausting any other solution. Rather than a multi, you would be better off with a strong and sharp knife though.
LM Kick, Swisstool, Paul Chen Multitasker, and many unbranded ones

gb Offline craigy

Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 12:44:54 AM
its a good film i was abit disapointed with the way people explained the gorey bit wasent that gorey.but it makes sence just make sure you have a decent equipment i bet hes not the first person whos bought somthing cheap because he thought it would do the job give me a 20 pound victorinox to go camping walking or just everyday living when cheap multitools cost about 10 quid anyway.
A

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 08:05:00 AM
After six days in a canyon, I imagine most MT.org members would by that point be close to a decision as to which one of the many multis and knives they had on them would be used to cut their own arm off.

And if there were data reception somehow, they'd already have started a thread:

"Which multi is best for amputation?"

G

us Offline RFOneWatt

Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 02:16:35 PM
And if there were data reception somehow, they'd already have started a thread:

:rofl:  :tu:

Haha.. had to laugh.. ain't that the truth!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 02:54:46 AM
Hehe, good one Glorn! :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 08:54:48 AM

Nice movie, BTW :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 03:28:44 PM
I think I have to agree with Doug Ritter on this one.  He took a stupid risk by not telling anyone where he was going, and by going off by himself.  This is the kind of stupid risk that gets most people killed.  This guy was lucky to have survived his stupidity and tell the tale.  Fortunately he will be reminded of it, and others can learn not to do dumbass things like that.

For the record, I am all about taking risks- I just believe in there being a big difference between stupid risks and smart risks.  For instance, climbing rocks in unfamiliar territory is a risk- it's a smart risk to go with a group and have some kind of recovery and medical equipment in case things like this happen.  It's a stupid risk to go alone and rely on your ability to lop off your own limbs to get home.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 08:52:28 PM
I think I have to agree with Doug Ritter on this one.  He took a stupid risk by not telling anyone where he was going, and by going off by himself.  This is the kind of stupid risk that gets most people killed.  This guy was lucky to have survived his stupidity and tell the tale.  Fortunately he will be reminded of it, and others can learn not to do dumbass things like that.

For the record, I am all about taking risks- I just believe in there being a big difference between stupid risks and smart risks.  For instance, climbing rocks in unfamiliar territory is a risk- it's a smart risk to go with a group and have some kind of recovery and medical equipment in case things like this happen.  It's a stupid risk to go alone and rely on your ability to lop off your own limbs to get home.

Def

Oddly this actually sums up how I feel about Bear Grylls quite nicely.  Large parts of his show are perfectly benign (if a bit heavy on the dramatic production) but then he'll go and take a really 'stupid' risk, or rather it would be if he didn't have a team with him to make sure it all went well.  Sorry, rant off. :-[

us Offline Pacu

Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 09:27:30 PM
I just watched 172 hours

kinda long in the tooth but watchable.

has a confirmed SAK sighting...not where it needs to be though ::)
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline RFOneWatt

Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 12:42:38 AM
Oddly this actually sums up how I feel about Bear Grylls quite nicely.  Large parts of his show are perfectly benign (if a bit heavy on the dramatic production) but then he'll go and take a really 'stupid' risk, or rather it would be if he didn't have a team with him to make sure it all went well.  Sorry, rant off. :-[

You gotta admit though, even with the crew Bear has done some very, very stupid stuff.  He's gonna get bit one of these days.

If you know anything about the guy from 127 hours you know that what he was doing on that day wasn't really a big deal to him. In comparison to many of the things this guy did/does on a regular basis what he did that day was basically the equivilant of you or I walking to the corner to grab the mail out of our mailbox.

Really, his only BIG mistake was not telling anybody where he was going and when he'd be back. Second biggest was doing what he did, alone.

</start signature of of non-disclosure agreement>

I think I'm going to start a website where you can check in and tell the community where you are going and write the software so that it only unlocks the emergency contact information if you do not return back and check the page within a specific amount of time. It could also TXT and/or email you in advance to remind you to login and let everybody know you returned. I can think of a whole bunch of really cool features, actually. The possibility's are endless!

</end signature of of non-disclosure agreement>

I'm going to be the next Mark Zukerberg or Bill Gates!!! (I did kind of own and operate a Facebook of sorts before Facebook... the second largest BBS in the USA, actually.)  Of course my biggest investor backed out at the last moment and I filed corporate bankruptcy in 2000 along with the rest of the .com's...  Sigh.. Ok, Sorry for the rant and getting off topic. I'm feeling rather nostalgic today.. hahah...

My old servers, around 1998:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 02:15:47 AM
Wow! :o And to think your notebook has more memory than that today! :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%