Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

survival kit help

Offline ryanrrx

survival kit help
on: January 31, 2011, 05:07:22 AM
please be advised that i dont know where to put this topic on the forums..if this is not a good place for it ..dont crysify me..i took hour and a half to put it together properly with my poor spelling and sparatic thinking..ill add a few pictures so it isnt so boring to just read everything ..:)

I'm putting together a survival kit,

in the even there is massive emergency,
i need not say more because everyone know this may happen one day in our life time.

right now is good time for me to start to build it up from what it is, and continue to add to it as time goes on...

so far Ive got the basics down and I'm sure I'm missing somethings..

let me know what comes to mind for you ...

myself, Ive chosen the right bag ..this bag is rugged and big enough to house everything i need...

i have the northface heckler bag that i edc for work..

i picked up the final one today..i have 3 now..

i have this same bag for 2 years ..no wear and tear really..
i got my kid the same bag..awesome bag..

that can handle pretty much everything ive ever put in it ..and its got nice strong wide straps...

i got a coleman 0 deg sleeping bag,
actually 3 of them, carried in 3 of our packs, they can compress really small when you suck the air outta them..

also made sure to get blend colors, and not some super bright orange or whatever..
there's no need to be attracting attention with sleeping bags..

although, I'm sure the fire will be enough for anyone to see...

also have full cooking gear that's compact and will do well..Ive used it already camping..its fine...

id rather be short a pot and have more room for important stuff..
3 spoons forks 1 fish fillet knife, 1 chef knife 1 large cooking stainless spoon
2 travel size stainless coffee cups
1 pack 10 plastic cups

i have a full medical kit..and giant bottle of 99% alcohol...

3 princeton tech headlamps ordered them today..
I'm not sure what else may be needed for light..this is enough?

great life and plenty of light on those headlamps

looking for 3 super bright emergency strobes, in the event we need to be found by air chopper rescue..
i had some on my survival suit when i use to fish in alaska but I'm unable to find them forsale..
ill keep searching...

20 AA and AAA battery packs...

for protection

i think its only smart for all of us to have a knife..primarily for protection period...
especially my wife and son..you never know in this kind of event wtf could happen when..
i have one for myself and my wife, i have no idea what to get for for my 10yr old..

i have the ak47 g10 folder in my pocket at all times anyway
i also have the cold steel trail master..big knife..when ever i seen anyone on the trail and i had this..they walk far away from me lol
good intimidater

in need of a good pocket saw for cutting trees probably ..please recommend..

later this year I'm getting glock 50 cal as long as my paycheck will permit...
i own a big pump shot gun, but realistically i need a handgun for carry in this type of situation...
also need to pick a holster for that gun..and i need to get a strap for the shotgun

also im in need of a 100% accurate compass ..not some plastic cheepy..please recommend..

on to other things here..
tools..

i have skeletool and style cs on me at all times so I'm sure they will be there..

I'm looking for a good price on a used wave for this purpose..
1 pair binoculars,

I'm looking for a good portable shovel maybe?
maybe some good lightweight hammer?

I'm not sure what else i need for tools pleas recommend..

please keep in mind all this stuff will be sitting in bags in a closet ..so when and if this ever happens ..just grab the bag and go..

i also have a 10 pack of bic lighters
1 bag cotton balls
10 high quality dust masks
3 sets of swimming goggles
3 pairs sun glasses
3 sets of quick shoes ..rubber shoes that will fit the 3 of us,
3 sets of water sock shoes ...

all our boots are by the door we wont be forgetting all them either..
3 rain capes..
3 ski masks
3 hats
3 pairs wool gloves
1 box rubber latex gloves
for fishing, I'm looking for a compact solution, I'm looking into the portable fisherman it looks kind of big ..I'm thinking more of a full telescoping rod would work better..

i had old telescoping rod that i lost that was 5 inches when scoped down..and when scoped up it was nearly 5 feet..very cool to have..

i have about 30 hooks in each size, and 400 yards of 8,10,12,20 lb test line...4 spools...
a small box of assorted lures too..

i have 200 ft para cord

that would also work for slicing up into small strips and filling with rocks for weights ...

this cuts down the 10 lbs of weights i would normally carry for fishing..

i think its important to put at least 5 tshirts and 2 pair jeans 4 pair socks in each our bags..

2 walke talkies, 1 in my wifes bag, and one in my bag, in the event something happens, we get separated, we know how to get a hold of each other..
ie: in this type of event, a cell phone would be pointless probably..

also looking for a batt operated alarm, something portable that is really loud, so that way we can be found by search and rescue...

we all have metal water bottles attached to our pack that holds about 30 ounces each..

2 bars of soap 4 travel size shampoos, ..4 tooth brushes

1lb coffe, 1 lb sugar, 12 ounces of cooking oil, 12 ounces sesemie oil, 12 ounces ketchup, 2 bottles food supplement tablets,
75 feet reynolds wrap. 2 X 100 oz hydration pack. 100 water purifier tabs,

for bartering trading in case this ever has to happen, i have 2 packs cigarettes, 2 bottles jackdaniels whiskey, 1 bottle womens perfume, 1 bottle mens cologne,

which will barter quite well depending on what i need to trade for ...

for food i was considering a few things ..id like to see whats recommended....

i may be forgetting a few things...ill add as i remember more...n please comment..
i know this is a oh that will never happen topic..but when it does it will be good that i, / we were all prepped for it ...

thanks
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:16:20 AM by ryanrrx »

Offline ryanrrx

Re: survival kit help
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:43:05 AM
i orderd a few things to add to my kit here tonight,

one is this amazing pen fishing pole..it looks amazing for what it is ..

thease led lanterns there super small for the most part amazing light and run time
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Equipment-Lantern-Chocolate/dp/B004AJI9N2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1296451142&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Apollo-Latern/dp/B003IR7672/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296451070&sr=1-1-catcorr

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:47 PM
Good thread but I will move it to the outdoor edge forum where I think more people will see it .

Offline ryanrrx

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:29:58 PM
thankyou dunc forgive me im new here..unsure of what to do and where to go LOL
i need a multitool.org compass LOL

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 05:30:33 PM
Thats ok  :)  your doing just fine  :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:28:34 PM
seems like an awful lot of stuff to carry about with you  :think:

when do you carry it bout with you in the car or something?
I

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:13:00 PM
I am not an expert on this. But you could use your big knife for cooking, too, for example. In an emergency I guess you won't have much to eat, so a full set of kitchen knifes would be too much to carry around.

Have a look at Nutnfancys videos on his urban survival kit. There are some nice ideas that could help you. He explains in detail why he carries the items and what they are good for.

Offline ryanrrx

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:36:05 PM
interesting

ok I don't carry this stuff around with me,
I said I put it in the closet and it sits there until the emergency happens

thanks for the videos cool  never seen those
I had planned one big chef knife to cook with not the whole set

and yes all this seeems like a lot of stuff because it's 3 of everything for 3 people to survive

this is for a single emergency only when you'd litteraly have to leave you home and go make it on your own

ie some massive disaster

in most cases this will never happen because you could stay in your house period

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:14:34 AM
You might want to consider this book:
http://www.amazon.com/When-All-Hell-Breaks-Loose/dp/142360105X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296633991&sr=8-1
I just bought it and I am reading it. It covers "Urban survival", how to prepare your family for a disaster. It has a big chapter about psychology (very important in my opinion), and then lots of stuff about things you need to know about shelter (your heating could fail in winter), water and other important stuff. It concentrates on urban surroundings (you and your family at home, but no supplies etc.), and discusses if you should stay at home or leave, and what to take. It requires some reading (and I have just started), but it is quite fun to read, and so far I can recommend it.

It's not about making fire with nothing, or building a shelter out of trees in the wilds, or about fighting with bears. It's for people like you and me who want to be prepared if a (snow)storm cuts off the power and food supply, or anything happens that threatens you and your family and brings you into a survival situation. You can have a look into the Table of content and some pages at amazon.com and see if it might be of interest for you.

Offline ryanrrx

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:45:23 PM
from waching the videos I had about 4 items I was missing

not bad I suppose

also orderd black diamond lantern and the pen fishing rod today
for the kit so :) about that

thanks I'll get that book

Offline ryanrrx

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 10:42:03 PM
today I added a few things to the kit
I just happen to stop by local barginland here in NYC
it's a little cheepo store and I got
 latex gloves
regular 16oz hammer
prybar 16 oz
1 orange range pancho

this little buy made my day with a 5$ price tag

I was even more stoked when I got home to test it

what kindnod survival gear do you put away and never even try it

especially a 1.50$ hammer?

I beat the crap outa the hammer and prybar
literally no damage

this little buy to put away and forget about it gave me the biggest releif today
I actually feel that much more calmer with this small items that desperatly be needed

went back and grabbed another pancho for my train bag
just in case

train bag has latex gloves rain poncho headlight 100ft paracord and I forget what else

point being there's nothing better feeling than good piece of mind, and a good price at that made it even better

some of you mite say, ya know you don't need that

so in response before its said,
This makes ME feel better, I maybe not for EVERYONE,
but for ME this is BIG PIECE A MIND :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:47:33 PM by ryanrrx »

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 05:04:43 PM
This was getting my attention - "12 ounces ketchup"?  ::)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 05:30:21 PM
One thing that caught my eye,: cotton balls.

No need for them.  You have plenty of gear to make tinder for firestarting and they're pretty worthless for bandaging.  If they were for bandaging, dump them.  For big bleeds, you're better off with tampons and sanitary napkins.  They can be packed into wounds, absorb WAY more than cotton and can double as compression bandages if need be (Use with duct tape for example).

Edit to add:

I'd skip the water purifier tabs.  They're slow to use, and taste like cr@p.  Either get a good pump filter or go with a Steri-pen.  You can purify WAY more water, much faster and it will taste better too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:35:43 PM by Mr. Whippy »

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 08:38:30 PM
Good advice there Mr. W.    :tu:    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline ryanrrx

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 03:42:28 AM
hey ketchup on cooked rat mite be good right ? lol

I'm considering this filter kit but I can't find one small enough that's portable
they all seem to take up so much room and then te price is another factor

Offline ryanrrx

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 09:55:29 PM
One thing that caught my eye,: cotton balls.

No need for them.  You have plenty of gear to make tinder for firestarting and they're pretty worthless for bandaging.  If they were for bandaging, dump them.  For big bleeds, you're better off with tampons and sanitary napkins.  They can be packed into wounds, absorb WAY more than cotton and can double as compression bandages if need be (Use with duct tape for example).

Edit to add:

I'd skip the water purifier tabs.  They're slow to use, and taste like cr@p.  Either get a good pump filter or go with a Steri-pen.  You can purify WAY more water, much faster and it will taste better too.
i get what your saying.............
------------------------------------------

here's a pic for those of you that wanted to see what i picked up other  day for a few dollars...

looking for some Mylar bags..there is rain poncho latex gloves
vinyl gloves ..hammer crowbar..ive already fastened a little quick release for the hammer with paracord..so it can hang on my back belt loop and be deployed easily..

a new little update here...

i got the fishing rod today..this thing is awsome..im looking in the shed for a old reel see if it fits..

super compact rod..sad thing to reel doesn't free spool to cast..kind of lame if ya ask me...

but i didnt get it for the reel...i got it for the compact size of the rod.,..

few pics..all of this is dedicated to my esp it does not get used its just sitting in the closet ...

btw i tried my abu garcia full size bait cast ...its too long..doesn't fit...

which is fine..i got other plans..
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:58:03 PM by ryanrrx »

Offline ryanrrx

Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 09:56:36 PM
delete

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 09:55:01 AM
awesome kit.

makes me want to put one together.
actually, I NEED to put together one.
It will mostly be ammo though. ;)
idk if I'll use packets of ketchup either. =)

edit: you forgot the booze!
Quality Control
Materials
Design

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 08:20:25 AM
Just a few coments in general:

If you cannot carry it all on a long hike, then it is too much or too heavy.

Shelter is number one, water is number two. Food is way down that list.

Given those points, lose the ketchup.. and anything else that is not really necessary. Items should be multifunctional and/or simple. Look for items that can be used to improvise or create other items.

You have zero degree sleeping bags. That tells me you expect a cold weather bug out. You then hinted at adding jeans to your packs. Cotton is a very poor choice for cold weather survival clothing. Stick with wool and/or modern synthetics.

Toilet paper?
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 08:41:54 AM
Forget the coffee. Tea is lighter and easier to pack.. and easier to make on the run.. if you must have it.

Lose the cooking oil. This is weight that is not useful. Grill or bake your food. I suspect you are planning to cook by fire. Frying and sautéing in a survival situation is a bit luxurious. I'd rather eat fish baked in clay than carry a bottle of oil.

While cigs are a good trade if the world goes to hell, I'd rather be better equipped by carrying something I can use instead. And if the world goes to hell, I'd steer clear of other people at all costs. Why should I barter with you for cigarettes when I can just kill you and take your food, ammo, and wife? Same is true of the whiskey. I cannot imagine anyone caring about smelling sexy at that point... Cologne and perfume?

If you want to have a barter stash, then do that. Bury some whiskey inside a capped PVC pipe in a location you can get to later. But don't weigh your party down with fifth bottles of booze.

But planning for TEOTWAWKI is one thing.. Planning for a major disaster is another. Which do you expect?

If you expect the former, then I'd suggest losing anything to trade in favor of ammunition. And maybe add a bible, because you will need all the help heaven can offer. I'm not much of a religion man myself, but I pray that day never comes.. And if it does, remember the old military adage: there are no atheists in fox holes.

If you expect the later, then your kit needs money, not cigs. Cash. Gold maybe. Anything short of the fall of man will still accept the mighty dollar. And cash is light and easy to pack.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:44:54 AM by glorn »
G

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 04:28:59 PM
If you have ordered the book I suggested, read it as soon as possible. I just have read the first chapters so far, but there are so many good suggestions and thoughts in there. And I haven't reached the chapters on equipment etc. yet (but I had a look at a few pages  ;))

Offline ryanrrx

Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 05:31:08 AM

i have to Wait 14 days for the book to come so..

thanks for so much for the input..and yes i removed the ketchup and added packets for salt ketchup pepper etc etc...

myself..i want it in my pack..because ya never know..

everyone is different...there is no difference if i carry a few things different then everyone else..that's ok...it my pack..i can carry it ...and it weighs a whole 22lbs as of right now..

and I'm adding a few things like
cold steel pepper spray suppose to be awesome for anything defensive
pocket air horn
sony am fm 1aa battery pocket radio 80% feedback..

uniden 22 mile pocket 2 way radios run off AAA batt
1 pair sealed safety glasses
3m high quality dust mask
real flame gel..this will help start any fire in a hurry..
aquamira fortier water filer 20gal x2
pack of 6 glow sticks
1 box baking soda
strap velcro reflectors
zip pouches to organise everything
water resistant
pen signal flair pen

please don't feel discouraged if i don't take ur advice..
I'm glad for any input..but realistically i don't need to take all advice, a lot of it just doesn't suit me but thank you anyway..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%