Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool with a cloth cutter?...

Offline wykazox

• New User
Multitool with a cloth cutter?...
on: October 25, 2010, 03:17:54 PM
Hi guys!

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm posting in the right section...

I'm a french "secouriste" (roughly equivalent to a us paramedic or a first aider... well, you get it...), and I'm looking for a tool I could carry during my missions.

The tool I am looking for should ideally have :
An easily accessible full size blade (at least about 2.5 inches long ; serrated or not...).
A full size pair of pliers (like the ones found on a Leatherman, or a SOG... but not the small Victorinox ones)
A seat belt cutter sturdy enough to cut clothing or even leather... but safe enough not to cause injury to the victims (like the one found on the Gerber Hinderer, or the BenchMade ERT1)

I've already found 2 tools that might answer my needs :
Leatherman Charge ALX (but the cutting hook doesn't look safe...)
SOG PowerAssist S66 (but the V-cutter doesn't look sturdy...)

Do you know any other model that might fit?

Thanks!

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Re: Multitool with a cloth cutter?...
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:32:42 PM
Basically the entire Wave/Charge line should work for you. The serrated edge on them should go through clothes, leather, and seat belts with no problem. If you don't need one hand opening blades, you have other options. You could try either the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit in normal or S versions. The X version doesn't have what you are looking for. The the Swisstool RS would also work.
I would avoid the SOG V-cutter. It doesn't work all that well.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:13:39 PM
If by "easy access" you mean one-hand opening, and by "seat belt cutter" you mean something along the lines of a V-cutter, then I'm afraid the two tools you mentioned are about all there is out there. Your next best bet would be either something along the lines of a SwissTool RS (which has a blunt-tip serrated blade, to be used as a set belt cutter, but needs both hands to open any blade), or a multitool and a rescue tool combo (e.g. Charge + RescueTool, etc.) :-\

BTW welcome to the forum. :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:03:42 PM
Take a look at the Wenger Mike Horn...for a different option.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 07:03:09 PM
How about the new Leatherman MUT?  Pliers, OHO knife and V-cutter.

Edit: Just remembered that Bob's review said the cutter wasn't great at straps etc. :-\

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,23705.0.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:04:52 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:26:16 PM
For the safety of the victim, I would suggest getting a hook cutter that is more dedicated to that kind of job- something like Benchmade's ERT-1/Houdini Pro, Blackhawk HawkHook or even something like a Raker Ring Tool and have a separate multitool for managing other things.  Assuming for a moment that you use your multitool regularly on the job for doing all the things you need a multitool for, it could be exposed to all manner of contaminants that you may not want near an open wound on an injured person.  Plus, a lot of multitools are designed for multiple purposes, like strap cutting and field dressing animals, and so may not be idea for opening clothing on a person.  Case in point, the blade being on the backside of the hook on the Leatherman Charge series.

I think my best suggestion would be to get a good set of shears to cut fabrics and clothing and keep your multitool for dirtier, more robust jobs.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline e17

• SOG! SOG! SOG!
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:48:49 PM
Hi,

salut et bienvenu sur ce forum. Ca fait du bien de parler un peu français.  :cheers:
Tu es secouriste volontaire ? SAMU ? Pompier ?   :pok:

I have a SOG S62, with a V-cutter. Althought I was not able to try it with a security belt, I had the opportunity to try it with bandage (small, on my finger :D), plastic around heavy milling machines for transport protection, clothes (shirt, tee-shirt and jeans (dry and wet jeans)), and it works like a charm. Could be hard to sharpen, though, but SOG's tools are removable and replaceable, with is a very good option from my point of view.
Pliers are great, too. The blade... is not thick enough, but the serated blade helps a lot on hard jobs.

But as Grant pointed out... a MT might not be the right tool for you, mainly because of possible contamination (hard to decontaminate or sterilize. There is a plastic washer in mine...). And because they are done to fit a lot of needs, so no need in particular.
In the few paramedic kit I saw, I did see the kind of scissors Grant suggests, and then a MT at the belt.

But the SOG is definitely a nice tool  :D

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:06:07 PM
I have a benchmade ERT1 and it's better suited for the task than any of the implements you'll find on a MT. It comes with both pocket clip and sheath so you can easily attach it to yourself. A far as cutting performance is concerned thou scissors or a serrated blade will be better.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 01:35:41 AM
I think the SOG would be a poor choice in this situation.  Not that SOG doesn't make nice tools, but the V-Cutter is an internally held tool that deploys with a nail knick.  Not the best option under duress. 

A Leatherman Wave/Charge or Surge (depending on the pliers you need) along with one of the Benchmade series of rescue hooks would probably serve you well.  All of the Rescue hooks come with the option to use a hard-molded ABS sheath that you can hang upside down from a blouse pocket or belt and have large finger holes for fast deployment.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 02:12:58 AM
Note to any of you tool manufacturers reading these forums:

A rescue/first-responder sort of multitool would fill a nice niche and appeal to a large cross section of potential customers. :salute:  
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline e17

• SOG! SOG! SOG!
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 03:16:19 AM
I think the SOG would be a poor choice in this situation.  Not that SOG doesn't make nice tools, but the V-Cutter is an internally held tool that deploys with a nail knick.  Not the best option under duress. 

A Leatherman Wave/Charge or Surge (depending on the pliers you need) along with one of the Benchmade series of rescue hooks would probably serve you well.  All of the Rescue hooks come with the option to use a hard-molded ABS sheath that you can hang upside down from a blouse pocket or belt and have large finger holes for fast deployment.

Hum... jekostas... I hate to say that when it comes to SOG but... you get the point. In emergency situation... the v-cutter might not be best tool.
But... hum... let me suggest a Benchmade rescue hook with... a SOG   :pok:

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 02:33:09 AM
Note to any of you tool manufacturers reading these forums:

A rescue/first-responder sort of multitool would fill a nice niche and appeal to a large cross section of potential customers. :salute:  

As another EMT I would like to second that motion.

On the not of the cutters the hook on the ChALX does work well on most smaller situations but not so well on seat belts. However the sheepsfoot serrated blade is good for this. Admittedly the hope that the hook would work as a seatbelt cutter was part of why I chose the ALX, but I like it in any case.

As far as contamination, there are some fairly effective decontamination measures, but I always liked to double up.

I never had a SOG so I can't comment on that.

I think my best suggestion would be to get a good set of shears to cut fabrics and clothing and keep your multitool for dirtier, more robust jobs.

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

I always carry Shears with my on-duty gear but not in my off-duty first responder kit. They are an essential part of the kit, but they also tend to dull very quickly, and even new are never that sharp. For rapid extrication the sheepsfoot blade is a much better tool.
(insert witty quote)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 04:19:38 AM
Interesting- I always assumed that the shears would dull quickly since they have a high chromium content, the better to resist staining, but I assumed that was what the serrations were for.  I imagined them working like Wenger's self sharpening serrations, where the opposite teeth tend to clean each other each time it's opened and closed.

Have you tried any other tools, like Boker's RESCOM or the BlackHawk HawkHook?  They seem like they would be quite effective, at least in the testing I have done, which admittedly can't compare to real life.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline RNL

Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 04:10:14 PM
I use a combination of LM New Wave and Spyderco Assist in my vest, while in ambulance. Off-duty- Victorinox RT always with me in my car.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 07:19:40 PM
Maybe this could work for you: Fiskars Cuts+More..  :think:

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 09:03:11 PM
Another medic voicing a wish for a multi with those little tools I always need.  :tu:

us Offline MrCoffee

• Coffee and Multitools - Proof there is a God.
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 12:49:48 PM
As of yet, I haven't found a belt cutter/web cutting tool I like as much as the seatbelt cutter on the Victorinox Fireman model (JumpMaster modell too I think). Rounded tip, cuts webbing and seat belts very well, but I am pretty sure it isn't what your looking for.

For my CERT bag, I have a Blackhawk double pouch sheath, one pocket has my Leatherman, the other my SAK Fireman. Works well for me. :)
S

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 12:40:09 PM
The Vic dual pro works as a belt/clothing cutter for me and also the serrated Wave/Charge blade is ok as well . I can't comment on LMs gut hook as I've never used one but it does look like you would have to be carefull near the casualty with the tip .

Dunc

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 09:46:17 AM
Victorinox RS MT
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:14 AM
Victorinox RescueTool, Vic Swisstool RS, Vic Dual Pro

Those curved serrated cutters than Vic uses are the best.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 12:01:29 AM
Coming back to this thread after a while, it seems Benchmade has come pretty close to building an ideal EMS extrication tool. The new 915 Triage It has everything except the pliers. Carry that and a ST300 or even a Juice S2.
(insert witty quote)

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 12:06:46 AM
Coming back to this thread after a while, it seems Benchmade has come pretty close to building an ideal EMS extrication tool. The new 915 Triage It has everything except the pliers. Carry that and a ST300 or even a Juice S2.

Sure it has a glass cutter, the Dual Pro has a bunch of other stuff including a strong pry bar.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 11:08:58 AM
Victorinox RescueTool, Vic Swisstool RS, Vic Dual Pro

Those curved serrated cutters than Vic uses are the best.

vic makes some of the best damn stuff...period.
they have the experience as well.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 01:05:13 PM
From all my experience I have to say Vic serrations cut clothing and rope better then most others .Some of the more Aggressive serrations tend to snag on the firbes .

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%