Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Champion?

Viper · 161 · 14353

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: New Champion?
Reply #60 on: November 30, 2007, 12:41:30 AM
Yet another thread effortlessly show straight to hell....

Def

Look it's not easy doing it to every topic you know.  :)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #61 on: November 30, 2007, 12:42:24 AM
It takes hard work and dedication to achieve the level of skill we have!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #62 on: November 30, 2007, 02:33:48 AM
It takes hard work and dedication to achieve the level of skill we have!

It takes a lot to screw thing up as much as we can. :)

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: November 30, 2007, 03:40:43 AM

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #64 on: November 30, 2007, 10:07:43 AM
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #65 on: November 30, 2007, 02:38:08 PM
Well I have already had an opportunity to take my new Champ plus' cherry.  My cube neighbor at work needed the phillips.  I asked her if she should think about keeping one in her purse.  Of course a lady doesn't think of keeping a knife in her purse.  Of course if she asks me to borrow it 5 or 6 times we need to have a talk.  At that point she should think about a commited relationship with a SAK.  I think calling the SAK a knife keeps many women from carrying one.  Yet women I know who have gotten a multi-tool and keep in on them use it all the time.  I really think a female oriented multi-tool should be developed with more of a feminine appeal.  I would call this the FemTool.  Austin Powers would love it. 

The Champ Plus does have a nice combination of tools on it.  It's a bit big for the pocket but I take it in a small celphone outside pocket on my pack to work.  So it is kind of with my Super Tinker I keep in my pocket.  I hope that works out the relationship issues.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #66 on: November 30, 2007, 02:44:36 PM
I think the Juice models work well as a FemTool- small, light, not as industrial looking, yet perfectly functional.

But then, that's just me...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #67 on: November 30, 2007, 02:55:16 PM
I think the Juice models work well as a FemTool- small, light, not as industrial looking, yet perfectly functional.

But then, that's just me...

Def

It's an idea I am working on.  I think part of the problem is calling it a "knife".  On the Champ Plus I count about 25 things on it and only two are knife blades.  A FemTool needs nice colors and perhaps a curvy stylish design.  Perhaps adding some female oriented grooming tools would help.  There is a SAK knock off called the Miss Swiss.  But it is built like junk and is bulky.  It actually has a compartment for perfume etc.  The SAK credit card thing is closer but the tools aren't robust on it. 

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #68 on: November 30, 2007, 03:12:04 PM
I bought the Miss Army Knife for my wife.  It is a piece of junk but she liked it.  She now has a Leatherman Squirt S-4 that she carries.   

Offline FredKJ

Reply #69 on: November 30, 2007, 03:16:17 PM
I witnessed a female multi-tool application recently.  This story should give proof of a woman having a need for a multi-tool.  My girlfriend and I were in our apartment and getting ready to go to the swimming pool.  Now God was good to her(Yes and I am a lucky man).  So her bikini top is one of those heavy duty ones with an underwire support.  Apparently the underwire needed adjustment.  She pulled out my Gerber multi-plier and made the necessary adjustment to the underwire with the pliers while wearing it.  My Gerber multi-plier had an enjoyable time.

Do I need to say more that there is a need for a FemTool.  I would hardly call the Champ Plus a "knife".  I think once you get past a certain number of gadgets on one of these it is more appropriately called a multi-tool.  Sure the point is purely one of perspective but the perception will make a woman more likely to carry one.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: November 30, 2007, 03:17:24 PM
Miss Army Knife:

:twak:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #71 on: November 30, 2007, 03:23:40 PM
I know, it does look feminine.  My wife seemed to like hers but I thought that it was junk and it is junk.  That is why I bought her the S-4.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #72 on: November 30, 2007, 03:29:06 PM
I know, it does look feminine.  My wife seemed to like hers but I thought that it was junk and it is junk.  That is why I bought her the S-4.

Yes.  Clearly they got the idea that there is a potential market for women.  Where they dropped it was in actually delivering a "real" product.  Got the marketing right but then just delivered junk.

Reply #73 on: November 30, 2007, 03:39:33 PM
Your quite right about the whole knife/woman perception thing, there are a lot more ''indepentant have a go type girls'' out there now, that the main manufactures aren't really tackeling, except with the likes of the classic and squirt type tools, but none that are really robust and feature packed :(, coz let face it as good as a Swisstool is, it'd look silly on the hip of a petit 5ft 3inch woman.

So maybe they could design a tool with the features of say a spirit, but in a more streamlined and compact package, I think gerber have come closest with the 400 series :)

Offline FredKJ

Reply #74 on: November 30, 2007, 03:46:11 PM
Your quite right about the whole knife/woman perception thing, there are a lot more ''indepentant have a go type girls'' out there now, that the main manufactures aren't really tackeling, except with the likes of the classic and squirt type tools, but none that are really robust and feature packed :(, coz let face it as good as a Swisstool is, it'd look silly on the hip of a petit 5ft 3inch woman.

So maybe they could design a tool with the features of say a spirit, but in a more streamlined and compact package, I think gerber have come closest with the 400 series :)

That's exactly my point.  Everyone is designing around it but not on the center.  And the point you made about it not looking good on the curves of a woman is "exactly" what my girlfriend and I were discussing.  Clearly there is a niche that is not filled.

Reply #75 on: November 30, 2007, 03:47:27 PM

That's exactly my point.  Everyone is designing around it but not on the center.  And the point you made about it not looking good on the curves of a woman is "exactly" what my girlfriend and I were discussing.  Clearly there is a niche that is not filled.
Well get designing mate, you could be on your way to you second million this time next year ;)

Offline FredKJ

Reply #76 on: November 30, 2007, 03:55:47 PM

Well get designing mate, you could be on your way to you second million this time next year ;)

I'm actually working on that.  I know what is in store for me.  I just read a CNN money article on the trials and tribulations Tim Leatherman went through.  It's a challenge.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: November 30, 2007, 04:10:11 PM
You might be better off than Tim Leatherman was.  When he did his original design it was somethign new.  At least now, designing a new one, the market is already proven.

Make sure to let us know if any of the resources here at Multitool.org can be made to help you in your design, creation and eventual production and sales.  Of course, we will need a Multitool.org member discount when you are big and famous! :D

Def

Offline FredKJ

Reply #78 on: November 30, 2007, 04:14:42 PM
An interesting insight on the knife/tool perception...  One of the first companies Tim Leatherman went to with his "thing" was Gerber.  Gerber's response was "We like it but we sell knives and this is a tool." so they turned him down.  Once Tim was selling a gazillion through Cabella's Gerber didn't seem to have any perception issues anymore and jumped on the bandwagon with their own.  Amazing how that happens....

A woman does have other needs.  Fortunately my girlfriend is giving me some insights.  For instance you would think a nail file is obvious.  But she told me women don't really like metal nail files.  They prefer the soft cushy ones.  There could be some new tool ideas, a tampon extractor?...  One never knows.  

I would consider the Champ Plus a multi-tool and not a knife.  The Super Tinker might be more in the knife range but it's all about perception.  But perception is what decides whether many people will buy one and not necessarily the utility.  

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: November 30, 2007, 04:26:36 PM
One of the first companies Tim Leatherman went to with his "thing" was Gerber.  Gerber's response was "We like it but we sell knives and this is a tool." so they turned him down.  Once Tim was selling a gazillion through Cabella's Gerber didn't seem to have any perception issues anymore and jumped on the bandwagon with their own.  Amazing how that happens....

You can replace "Gerber" with any number of knife and/or tool manufacturers and tell exactly the same story.

Def

Offline FredKJ

Reply #80 on: November 30, 2007, 04:32:27 PM
As for the FemTool, yes I am working on the concept.  I think it is an excellent idea and hasn't really been approached.  Would love input.  Then again you need the feminine perspective but interestingly you guys already see some like a woman has curves and doesn't like an accessory that interrupts that.  It's actually an interesting fashion/function design challenge. 

We've been talking about the knife/tool thing.  Now we have to deal with the "fashion accessory" concept. 

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #81 on: November 30, 2007, 05:51:20 PM
If you were to design a tool for women I suggest that you try to do a few things different than other manufactuers.  Smaller, lighter, and pink is a good start.  You could eliminate a lot of the features that are not needed by the ladies most of the time like the can opener, awl, file, and the saw.  Corkscrews come in handy for anyone that drinks wine so that might be one to keep. 

Offline FredKJ

Reply #82 on: November 30, 2007, 06:06:17 PM
If you were to design a tool for women I suggest that you try to do a few things different than other manufactuers.  Smaller, lighter, and pink is a good start.  You could eliminate a lot of the features that are not needed by the ladies most of the time like the can opener, awl, file, and the saw.  Corkscrews come in handy for anyone that drinks wine so that might be one to keep. 

Interestingly I've found the corkscrew to be one of the most useless but kept as an artifact traditional thing.  Yes a lady color is important.  SAK actually has a pink one for breast cancer now.  I'm thinking something slim and curvy to hold in the hand.  The curves not only would make it stylish but also more ergonomic in the hand so form and function could combine.  It could also be held in the hand with some protruding stuff to have a self-defense function.  The babes might like that.

Reply #83 on: November 30, 2007, 11:06:06 PM
Seeing as this topic has attracted a lot of interest, I've moved it here so it can have a wider audience...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2928.0.html

Offline FredKJ

Reply #84 on: November 30, 2007, 11:32:55 PM
Seeing as this topic has attracted a lot of interest, I've moved it here so it can have a wider audience...

Thanks for the move.  It did seem like it needed its own home.  I do think I am on to something there.  But I also have found the ultimate multitool.

http://www.eatliver.com/i.php?n=1831

Reply #85 on: November 30, 2007, 11:39:53 PM

Thanks for the move.  It did seem like it needed its own home.  I do think I am on to something there.  But I also have found the ultimate multitool.

http://www.eatliver.com/i.php?n=1831
Sshh it a scam of mine and a way for me to recycle old paperclips :D

No you are definatly on to something mate it is something the bigger manufactures are either ignoring or have no idea how to tackle :)

I wish you every success mate :) :)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: November 30, 2007, 11:55:12 PM
Man. How did this thread get so popular?
[

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: November 30, 2007, 11:57:45 PM
Not entirely sure, it went slightly off topic then just degenerated from there on, it does look like a nice SAK though the champion.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: November 30, 2007, 11:59:48 PM
We should keep talking about OT stuff, this is only 40 posts away from being in the top ten!  :pok: :cheers:
[

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: December 01, 2007, 12:00:27 AM
40 posts? Well that would get us nearly half way to the 5000 posts in a month...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%