Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need a torch for work

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Need a torch for work
on: October 23, 2007, 02:21:38 PM
I have been thinking of replacing my 2AA Mini magL.E.D that gets used for work £20-00 would be an absolute max as the risk of losing it breaking it getting it pinched etc etc etc is very high £35-00 plus for a surefire is out of the question(the batteries cost a bomb too)
If there is anything out there that will outperform my Minimag I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction
Cheers

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Need a torch for work
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 02:50:27 PM
If you want to keep inexpensive but good, check out the Gerber Infinity Ultra at www.EDCDepot.com, one of our banner sponsors.  The Gerber is less than half what you want to spend and is brighter than the incandescent MiniMag, with only a single AA.  I think it's on par with the MiniMag LED but I don't have one of those so I can't be certain.

The Victorinox 2AA LED is quite powerful- much more than the MiniMags with the LED conversion, although I don't know how well they compare to the factory LEDs.  You can get those at a great price from Felinevet at www.felinevet.sosakonline.com and while you are at it, maybe grab a few SAKs too! :D  See my comparison of the 2AA Vic versus a couple of Mag Upgrades here:
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=122&Itemid=35

You could also check into the Fenix brand of lights- I was very impressed with the L1P which is now discontinued.  Many folks rave about how good the Fenix lights are, so that would probably be a good place to start. 

Nuwaii also seems to have a pretty good rep, but I have never used one of those so I can't say one way or the other.

I hope this helps.  I don;t know much about flashlights, but I knows what I likes!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 07:37:18 PM
I highly recommend the Fenix L2D-CE.  It's my favorite torch from my collection bar none.  It's about the same size as your 2AA Minimag, but will BLOW IT AWAY in output.  It offers many levels (low, med, high, SOS, turbo, strobe), and the levels you typically want (low, turbo) are very easily accessed.  On low, it will run 86 hours on NiMH rechargable batteries.

I'm not sure where to get Fenix in your area, but you can click here for details:

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_71&osCsid=d694e7b9600258f602541c5ad4d1980a
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 05:37:44 PM
I highly recommend the Fenix L2D-CE.  It's my favorite torch from my collection bar none.  It's about the same size as your 2AA Minimag, but will BLOW IT AWAY in output.  It offers many levels (low, med, high, SOS, turbo, strobe), and the levels you typically want (low, turbo) are very easily accessed.  On low, it will run 86 hours on NiMH rechargable batteries.

I'm not sure where to get Fenix in your area, but you can click here for details:

https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_69_71&osCsid=d694e7b9600258f602541c5ad4d1980a

I second that with Fenix.  My P1D CE is really impressive.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD