Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plus scales - when did they first make an appearance?

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Plus scales - when did they first make an appearance?
on: February 08, 2011, 08:14:22 AM
Am I correct in thinking that the first appearance of "Plus" scales with the ink pen slot added was initially offered on the Scientist model beginning in 1986? I know these first ones did not have the stick pin hole since that was added later.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Scientist
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pen
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Straight+Pin
I ask because the SAKWicki page for the "Compact" model mentions the 91mm Golfer getting these scales in 1987 which is pretty close to that time frame. If the Scientist was the first one it would help some to see why the Scientist became so popular and also thereby so scarce.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Compact

Plus scales on a Scientist model.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:19:46 AM by stressmaster5000 »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Plus scales - when did they first make an appearance?
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:28:26 PM
Could be, but at this time I'm inclined to think it was itroduced with the SwissChamp in 1985 (in Switzerland).

I beleive the reason the Scientist is a little hard to come by is because it was not imported into NA in any large quantity, large batches of them seem to turn up in many other countries though.  Maybe it was always hard to come by here and that has always made it something collectors wanted.

Offline richs2891

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:36:26 PM
I think it was withthe swiss champ as well as I have one circa mid 1980's with the pen slot (and the pen amazingly still works), but no pin hole, and no hook.
Kind of makes sense introduce some thing to the top of the range (at the time) model and then filter down.
When did the pin hole become popular / standardised ?

Richard

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:42:11 PM
Could be, but at this time I'm inclined to think it was itroduced with the SwissChamp in 1985 (in Switzerland).

I beleive the reason the Scientist is a little hard to come by is because it was not imported into NA in any large quantity, large batches of them seem to turn up in many other countries though.  Maybe it was always hard to come by here and that has always made it something collectors wanted.

Another reason for their scarcity is that they are very useful.  (guess what I carry day to day ;) )  So you've got a lack of initial supply, collectors hunting them down and people who want one to use.  No wonder they are not plentiful :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:26:56 PM
OK, I forgot about the SwissChamp. So the SwissChamp gets the Plus scales in 1985 and then the Scientist in 1986 and the 91mm Golfer in 1987.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 01:45:16 AM
Swiss Champ, in the USA in early 1987.

I know that for a fact: on or about 28 DEC 1986, is when I got my first Champion (stolen in DEC 1995 while at the commissary in Alaska) from SMKW, I knew nothing about the Swiss Champ.  I wanted the biggest SAK, and the Champion was it.

Around FEB 1987, a classmate of mine showed me the newest SMKW catalog, announcing the Swiss Champ....I got sick at my stomach...I didn't have the biggest SAK.   He later got one...and I got one in DEC 1988.

If the Swiss Champ was out prior to 1 JAN 1987, it wasn't in the USA.  Maybe Switzerland, but not in the USA.  Or, I would have bought that in lieu of the Champion.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 06:36:47 AM
From Victorinox's PR material, in their "The Evolution of the VICTORINOX «Swiss Army Knife» 91 mm":

1986 Pliers with wire cutter, combination tool with: bottle opener, can opener, screwdriver and wire stripper (cans opened clockwise)).

which would jive with the 1986 date for the SwissChamp and the Scientist. However, there are several errors in that list so who knows? They also say 1985 is the year the ballpoint pen started; no point in having a pen if you have no place to put it.

1986 Europe, 1987 USA are the dates I've heard from other sources in the past. I have a 1986 SwissChamp and a 1986 Scientist, both with plus scales. FWIW, the only knives from this period I've ever seen with plus scales are the SwissChamp, Scientist, Golfer 91mm, and the Deluxe Climber. After 1990 you start to see them on lots of other knives.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:39:22 AM by jazzbass »

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 06:26:51 PM
Well, I was putting together a blog post on my Scientist model and wanted to add some dates and interesting details so I scoured the SAKWicki but completely forgot the SwissChamp in the time line. Anyway here is my Scientist blog post. Its a user.
http://sakfan.blogspot.com/2011/02/victorinox-scientist-valued-collectors.html

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 06:33:30 PM
Nice blog post! I really enjoy your blog :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 06:43:02 PM
Nice blog post! I really enjoy your blog :tu:

I'll second that :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:19:08 PM

Probarbly it was the SwissChamp , anyhow from the Victorinox timeline of 91mm:
1985 Ballpoint pen, small screwdriver (new
shape), chisel, reamer with sewing eye, cap lifter
with 90° lock.

I looked in the book The knife and its history 1984, i could not see any Plus scales,
Get more tools

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 01:37:16 AM

I looked in the book The knife and its history 1984, i could not see any Plus scales,
Is that book worth its price?

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 01:43:28 AM
I rather enjoy my copy; I don't believe I'd pay above $70 for it, though; but that's just me. :/

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 02:45:00 PM

Is that book worth its price?

Hi sorry for late answer, yes it is worth having even if one has collected SAKs for some time, not much news for us really with the knife itself, it has many good pictures of the different factory buildings and production and some knives. It tells about the family.  Most of the book tell about the development of knives as tools from the stoneage until today, that part is very good. One of the best knife books out there.
Get more tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD