Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman, Clip blade -> Flathead driver mod?

ca Offline JackNate

Leatherman, Clip blade -> Flathead driver mod?
on: February 20, 2011, 02:36:33 AM
I have been thinking about purchasing a Leatherman Kick (possibly used) and grinding the blade into a large screwdriver. I would probably be using a belt grinder and a file.
I think it would make a nice fat flathead for things like adjusting hose clamps or flush valves. Anybody had luck with this kind of mod? Luckily I found a cheap knock off tool in the basement that I could do a first trial with.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Leatherman, Clip blade -> Flathead driver mod?
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 02:57:22 AM
 :ahhh :ahhh poor blade  :D :D

It would be interesting to see how strong the modded blade  would be as a screwdriver , all that grinding might effect the metals temper & make it brittle  :think: :think: :think:. I guess it is worth a shot  :D :D ,handy that you have a guinea pig MT  :D :D. Be interesting too hear how such a long driver performs in-regards to strength ,that is resisting breaking & twisting/bending. :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline CENTURION

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:33:34 AM
Since the blade has a bevel on it (the main grind), wouldn't your screwdriver tip end up being a triangular-ish profile rather than a normal rectangular one?

ca Offline JackNate

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:12:42 PM
Yes, that would be a problem. I didn't realise the blade was beveled over its entire width. Many pictures make it look like its very flat. The other problem would be that I would have to remove quite a bit of material before it was short enough to be a strong driver. I might as well either find another driver to swap in, or just leave the whole thing alone.

Offline patrat

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 10:35:42 PM
Better off take a screwdriver, heat the end of the shank to orange, hammer it into a pivot shape, and then drill and grind to fit in place of the blade.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%