Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

wenger soldier with no markings

dks · 9 · 2300

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
wenger soldier with no markings
on: February 21, 2011, 09:10:17 PM
First let me apologise for the bad picture quality, these were taken using direct flash, quickly, and I don’t have this knife anymore.

Basically I bought this, together with 2 other Wenger from a large tool/DIY shop.

When I tried to take some quick pictures of them I realised that the knife, though it looked fine and came in a proper box (shown in picture), did not have any markings on the blades or on any other part of it. The other two were fine.

I returned it to shop, and saw that the other 4 or so soldiers they had also had no markings. The only one with markings was the display model, which I ended taking home with me (shown in the 1st picture taken with a better flash setup), in exchange of the one I returned.
All their other wenger knives were OK. This shop sells tools, so they don’t really have any major experience with Swiss army knives, which they just got from the main dealer.

How common is it to find unmarked wenger knives?
Were these seconds, were they supposed to be unmarked or did they just escape QC?
IMG_7631-1 (Small).JPG
* IMG_7631-1 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 34.96 KB)
IMGP0718-1 (Small).JPG
* IMGP0718-1 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 43 KB)
IMGP0720-1 (Small).JPG
* IMGP0720-1 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 46.12 KB)
IMGP0721-1 (Small).JPG
* IMGP0721-1 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 40.46 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: wenger soldier with no markings
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:08:10 PM
I've never heard of unmarked SI's, so I can't comment on the rarity.  However, I think I would have kept the unmarked one, thinking that it was an interesting (and possibly collectible) variation.
- Terry

gb Offline Zag

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:49:13 PM
I would have kept the unmarked one, thinking that it was an interesting (and possibly collectible) variation.
+1

Duder mentioned them in one of his thread.
AloxWorld.com

de Offline duder

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:15:42 PM
We had a thread about them 2 days ago, this one:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26084.0.html

The one I bought in Delémont came in a box which indicated that the knife has no markings.
Wenger no markings box.JPG
* Wenger no markings box.JPG (Filesize: 103.5 KB)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:28:13 AM
ooow nice!   Thanks for posting the photo of the box... hadn't see that before.  Great!

Can we use that for the Wiki?

I have a new idea on how these came about; They used Blades from Victorinox production? 

Next time your talking with Vic, maybe just drop this casual question to them if they ever sent a batch to Wenger.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 08:10:38 AM
I looked through my pictures but don’t have any of the side of my box to see if there was any mention of it being unmarked, like in the picture shown here.

I returned the knife about a month ago but now that I see they are legit I will see if they still have any for sale (I don’t think they sell many wenger, but there is a chance they could have returned them to the main dealer after I made a fuss about it) and get a new one.

The shop I got them from is many thousands of miles away from any wenger factory shop. 
If anybody knows, were they sold for less than the stamped ones?

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

de Offline duder

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:14:18 AM
Hi ICFT,

sure, you can use the foto  :cheers:.

I just compared some Vic and Wenger knives and noticed 2 differences between the blades:
The transition between the tang and the blade itself is more like a 90 degree angle in the Victorinox knives but more half-moon-shaped in the Wenger knives.
The nail nick in the Vic knives is closer to the tip, compared to the Wenger knives.

That`s why I`m sure the no-marking-blade was made by Wenger. I hope it can be seen properly in the foto of the 6 randomly chosen alox knives (3 Vics on the left, 3 Wengers on the right).
Vic-Wenger - Kopie.JPG
* Vic-Wenger - Kopie.JPG (Filesize: 92.96 KB)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 02:26:57 AM
Nice comaprison, that shoots down my guess.  thanks!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 06:44:18 PM
....so I went back to the shop and bought the last two, one for me, one for a forum member that asked for one.
They were now back to regular price but I thought they were interesting enough to get. The boxes are exactly the same as the ones for the regular ones, unless I am missing something  ??? .... One was the display model, so the box is damaged.
IMG_8065.JPG
* IMG_8065.JPG (Filesize: 38.01 KB)
IMG_8068.JPG
* IMG_8068.JPG (Filesize: 48.05 KB)
IMG_8074.JPG
* IMG_8074.JPG (Filesize: 21.92 KB)
IMG_8075.JPG
* IMG_8075.JPG (Filesize: 33.33 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%