Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Higonokami's

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Higonokami's
Reply #30 on: November 28, 2014, 07:11:03 AM
Cap't, thank you for the great writeup.  I can imagine this folder must be very popular in its golden days, where many school boys would have one on each them, like a pair of pants.

You must remember the pencil knife we had in elementary school, or was that not in HK?

When I go to school, I vaguely remember pencil knife is still ok when I was in primary school, but it was frown upon(or even banned) when I was in highschool. 

The funny part is, the school do allow students to carry razor sharp cutter for art/craftsmanship class, which usually is way sharper than the pencil knife(since no one knows how to sharpen properly).   ::) :D

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 28, 2014, 10:05:18 AM
Cap't, thank you for the great writeup.  I can imagine this folder must be very popular in its golden days, where many school boys would have one on each them, like a pair of pants.

You must remember the pencil knife we had in elementary school, or was that not in HK?

When I go to school, I vaguely remember pencil knife is still ok when I was in primary school, but it was frown upon(or even banned) when I was in highschool. 

The funny part is, the school do allow students to carry razor sharp cutter for art/craftsmanship class, which usually is way sharper than the pencil knife(since no one knows how to sharpen properly).   ::) :D

I must've had 10+ of those since I kept losing them, they aren't sharp to begin with and I had no clue how to sharpen anything. I only remember them during my early elementary school years, since we were switched to fountain pens in grade 3 or 4.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 10:10:50 AM
I suppose you could use it if you are determined, but I've tried it and many others, always come back to Vic Climber after a while.  :P

I am in no way saying it is the best option, but it is actually useful for most cutting tasks.

On a separate note I did not get a chance to give them a "face lift" when I was at my friends house.

You don't have a file? Or some sandpaper?  :think:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 12:49:57 PM

I must've had 10+ of those since I kept losing them, they aren't sharp to begin with and I had no clue how to sharpen anything. I only remember them during my early elementary school years, since we were switched to fountain pens in grade 3 or 4.

Mine came quite sharp.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 12:52:20 PM
I suppose you could use it if you are determined, but I've tried it and many others, always come back to Vic Climber after a while.  :P

I am in no way saying it is the best option, but it is actually useful for most cutting tasks.

On a separate note I did not get a chance to give them a "face lift" when I was at my friends house.

I had been doing some reading and apparently these do not sharpen well on anything short of a Japanese wet stone. Anything else will cause the blade to chip from what I read. Time will tell though. I will have to sharpen mine eventually. 
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 09:09:54 PM
Everything’s adjustable

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 10:18:53 PM

I had been doing some reading and apparently these do not sharpen well on anything short of a Japanese wet stone. Anything else will cause the blade to chip from what I read. Time will tell though. I will have to sharpen mine eventually.

Not to sharpen, to clean up the spine and jagged edge.  ::)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 10:28:18 PM

I thought you quoted Jzmtl for some reason. Yes I do, but I have no where to do it and I do not really want to do it inside my house.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 10:42:53 PM

I thought you quoted Jzmtl for some reason. Yes I do, but I have no where to do it and I do not really want to do it inside my house.

Stop with the excuses and smurfing do it already.  :pok:  Five minutes work and two minutes to clean up.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 11:00:46 PM

No we were talking about a cheap knife from the 80's that somewhat resembles higonokami, cost a couple of cents each I think. Literally everybody had one in his pencil case.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 11:24:34 PM
We'll smurf. I'm just all over the place today.  :facepalm:
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 08:28:54 AM

No we were talking about a cheap knife from the 80's that somewhat resembles higonokami, cost a couple of cents each I think. Literally everybody had one in his pencil case.

(Image removed from quote.)

IIRC, I think that's what I used to have!

Capt  :salute:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26175.0.html

Great writeup!  I was reading that the other day as I want to learn more about it's history from another forum, and thinking the choice of background is artful and interesting 'cards' collection, here you are posting the link.  :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 08:54:19 AM

Capt  :salute:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26175.0.html

Great writeup!  I was reading that the other day as I want to learn more about it's history from another forum, and thinking the choice of background is artful and interesting 'cards' collection, here you are posting the link.  :D

Yep its a really great read  :tu:

I thought I would post that link, took me an hour to find it and now its been bumped  :facepalm: :D

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #43 on: November 29, 2014, 11:30:45 AM

I thought I would post that link, took me an hour to find it and now its been bumped 

:pok: That is why I made this list, to stop people from wasting hours: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55891.msg983942.html#msg983942

The higonokami link is 4th from the end, in the 1st post....  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 11:35:22 AM

I thought I would post that link, took me an hour to find it and now its been bumped 

:pok: That is why I made this list, to stop people from wasting hours: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55891.msg983942.html#msg983942

The higonokami link is 4th from the end, in the 1st post....  :D

Enki_ck was right on the money, no one read stickies!!  >:D :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #45 on: November 29, 2014, 11:37:05 AM
Its not a sticky, so maybe nobody reads my posts.    :rofl:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: November 29, 2014, 12:53:51 PM

Stickys, your posts, assembly instructions  :whistle:
Everything’s adjustable

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #47 on: November 29, 2014, 02:04:32 PM
>:D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: November 29, 2014, 04:49:34 PM

Yikes, why on earth will I have that impression on that?!  Guilty as charged!  :facepalm: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%