Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Suggestions for better EDC multi-tool

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Suggestions for better EDC multi-tool
on: May 19, 2011, 10:39:09 PM
Hello all,

I currently EDC a Gerber Octane clipped in one of my pockets.  I know it's not the greatest multi, but I like it because it's compact and light weight; it fits very nicely into a pocket.

However, I'd like input on something more capable, but would still be a good EDC tool.  My only requirements are that it have a pocket clip.  It would be nice if was also on the smaller side and lighter weight, but I'm willing to make trade-offs for a good tool.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: Suggestions for better EDC multi-tool
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:42:53 PM
The best one I can think of for this purpose is the Leatherman sideclip.  It can be a bit pricey, but it is well worth it.  Especially when battling Perry the Platypus. 

Offline maximus0723

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 12:10:33 AM
Leatherman Wingman or Sidekick are good options.

Problem: they come out in Sep. at latest

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 12:37:24 AM
The LM Kick with added clip springs to mind. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:39:45 AM
+1 I'm a big fan of the Kick. Lighter than some of the Juice models but with full size pliers and tools.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 01:03:20 AM
you can slap a clip on a wave :pok:

best multitool in the world --  :tu:
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Randyc1974

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:04:11 AM

I agree, the LM Kick works great for pocket carry.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 01:17:56 AM
Philistines.  Choosing the kick over the sideclip.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 02:46:22 AM
Just do some more situps (or crunches, or use the spinecracker abspaz or whatever the latest option is) and then even the Surge will be pocket carry!

Seriously though, for slimline, get your hands on a Sideclip. They can be rare, but they fill the niche in a way Leatherman has yet to beat.

For current issue, I guess you have to cough up for a Skeletool or Freestyle? (which I believe are similar in design than the Octane, in one of those mysterious "chicken or egg" scenarios that occasionally crop up between competitors :P )

us Offline Tabasco

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 04:12:22 AM

:D :D
Yeah, you right...

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 06:07:08 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Is there a difference between the 'sideclip' and 'sidekick'?  I found a place that says they have the sidekick in stock, for $39.  It looks like a good model, with a nice selection of tools, and is very reasonably priced.  Can't find a weight for it though.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 08:22:15 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Is there a difference between the 'sideclip' and 'sidekick'?  I found a place that says they have the sidekick in stock, for $39.  It looks like a good model, with a nice selection of tools, and is very reasonably priced.  Can't find a weight for it though.
I'd be very sceptical about anyone who is claiming to have a Sidekick in stock, they're not due for release yet.  This is the future Sidekick: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,25395.15.html

This is the retired tool, the Sideclip; http://www.leatherman.com/product/Sideclip
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:23:43 PM
Heinz, Every year or so I go through the same search.  I like the Juice CS4 that I carry, but there is always room for improvement in any tool.   After researching every MT I can find I always come back to the LM Juice series. 

True pocketability is a prime criteria for me.  I am in sales and dress for business during the workweek.  My MT must ride in my pocket without showing through.  Other MTs like the Kick my actually be lighter, but their squared shape shows through my pockets.  Almost every other MT has the same problem. The tools on the Juices are are a subject for debate, but they serve me well every day, multiple times per day.

They Juices don't offer a side clip, but you can add a suspension clip to the lanyard ring and it will give you the same benefits.

Here is my very experienced CS4

Tick Magnet

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 02:37:03 PM
Sideclip's are wonderful tools. They're also quite pricey.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 02:57:59 PM

I agree, the LM Kick works great for pocket carry.

Ditto  :multi:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 04:31:53 AM
MeadMaker, thanks for the input.  I was seriously thinking about a CS4 or possibly an XE6 but it's too heavy, and neither have a pocket clip, which kills it for me.  I see you've got a suspension clip on yours, but I just don't care for them because I usually have other things in my pockets (phone, keys, other lights) that I don't want anything swinging around that's going to smack into anything else.

I really like the look of the Wingman, though it's still a little heavy, and the fact it has scissors in it instead of the saw.  The place I found it does say on the product page that it's not available until Sept.  :(

http://www.harrysarmysurplus.net/leatherman-wingman-stainless-steel-multi-tool-831426.html

So far, that seems to be the one I like best, so for now I'll just wait, and keep looking.  If nothing else better comes along in the mean-time, I'll get a Wingman for myself this fall.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 02:48:41 PM
Slightly out of the box option but have you considered adding a clip to the tool of your choice?

I have just got a Nite ize clip and I have to say it's really very good. You can get them all over the place, or cheap from DX like I did: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/nite-ize-stainless-steel-cell-phone-self-locking-clip-black-70240
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 06:28:31 PM
Slightly out of the box option but have you considered adding a clip to the tool of your choice?

I have just got a Nite ize clip and I have to say it's really very good. You can get them all over the place, or cheap from DX like I did: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/nite-ize-stainless-steel-cell-phone-self-locking-clip-black-70240

That looks interesting, but I wonder if it wouldn't be too big to fit on something like a Juice. 

I'm in a real quandary here...  Right now I pocket carry an Octane, and Style CS; primarily because I like the slim design and light weight of the Octane, and the Style CS pretty much just for the scissors.  In my cycling bag I also carry a Swiss Champ and a Tenacious.

I guess the best thing to do for any further advice from you guys would be to describe my needs as best I can.

The tools I use most are a blade, a philips driver, and scissors, approximately in that order.  My needs for a knife are pretty light duty, as are my needs for pliers, which usually are tasks like pulling thorns from bike tires, bending small pieces of metal like paperclips to shape, or holding small items while I glue them in place to something else.  My kids have a lot of battery powered toys so I use a small philips driver a lot for changing batteries.  I occasionally need to crack open a computer or drive case, or tighten a loose screw here and there too.

Also, I bike a fair amount, and for that a larger set of pliers would be occasionally useful.  I say occasionally because I am an experienced bicycle mechanic (put myself through college as a bike mechanic in a shop, and eventually worked up to the head mechanic position) and I carry a full set of small wrenches, allen keys, and tire levers in a tool pouch in one of my bottle cages.  I've been considering adding a multi-tool to that tool kit as well though, so having an EDC with pliers still isn't a big deal; I'd mostly use them in conjunction with one of the small combo wrenches in my tool kit, or for pulling a cable tight, or snipping a frayed cable end, etc.  But, I keep my bike in good shape and I very rarely have to use my tool kit for more than fixing a flat or a quick brake or derailleur adjustment.

Other than occasional use duties like camping and the like, that about describes my needs...  I'd like to be able to reduce the number of items I carry and have as little redundancy as possible.  I'm not opposed to carrying two tools (after all, two is one, one is none...), but I'd like to keep it to no more than two if possible. 

Thanks in advance for any further input...

HD.

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 08:46:20 PM
maybe a skeletool? aside from scissors, it is small, light, good pliers, phillps and it has a clip. Since I got mine, it doesnt leave my pocket. I too have the same issue as yours, that is, I dont like things dangling in my pockets either. Since I dont need a scissor that often, I usually dont carry one. I do have a broken swisscard, from wich I took the scissors, and I keep that in my wallet, should the need arise. My father carries a classic to compliment whatever he is packing that day, as an example.

aside from that I would not be able to give more advice, since I havent had lighter tools edc. I used to carry a swissgrip as edc during some time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:48:57 PM by El Rago »

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 04:51:59 AM
I don't think the Skeletool really has anything more to offer than the Octane. Maybe if you're alright with a bit of modding, you could get a Swisstool Spirit and put a pocket clip on it. It'd be heavier, but it's just as slim as an Octane, with loads more functionality, including scissors.
[

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 02:30:16 AM
Agh!  I hate it when this happens... decision paralysis...  :think:

I'm still thinking about this... not sure what else to mention...  I wrote like, four different posts for this, and deleted them all...

I'm going to have to sleep on this one, so to speak...  maybe waiting a while and coming back to it fresh afterward will provide some clarity I don't have right now.

Regardless, thanks for all your input and suggestions. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%