Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

best model for arthritic hands ?

jock1 · 33 · 5968

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
best model for arthritic hands ?
on: October 28, 2007, 09:35:13 PM
Hi Guys
I posted this question in the Leatherman forum and DEF suggested  the S.O.G  multi tool for the compound leverage action of the pliers this would greatly reduce the pressure needed  Can any of you guys suggest the most suitable model as it's going to be an Xmas present for my Dad he's still really keen to work around the house ,the garden etc but the arthritis is beginning to slow him up a bit   

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: best model for arthritic hands ?
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 09:42:52 PM
The powerlock would be good for you as it is quite large and easy to grip.

The locking mechanism is easy to release as well.

Also, if your dad would struggle to get each tool out, you could remove the ones he wouldn't use and fit spacers so there are bigger gaps around each tool.
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 09:47:07 PM
I agree...if he's not going to be opening canned food manually, you can take the can opener out...same with the blade if he already carrys one.

Another thing is the tools AND the points where the plier head attaches to the handles can be loosened for easier movement.  And the compound leverage will make him twice as strong! :D
[

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 09:47:56 PM
Cheers Mate :cheers:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:31:49 AM
The PowerLock also benefits from having the sheetmetal plates over the implements which allows it to be more comfortable on the hands when gripping.  The only drawback I can see is the locking blade, but seeing as how it's a multitool, and he has arthritic hands, and it was given to him by his son the police officer, I doubt it would really be that much of an issue!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 11:18:04 AM
Your quite right law in this country states that reasonable excuse is acceptable given his medical condition even if he was stopped he can justify having it
Then I would cheerfully choke the cops who searched a sixty year old honest upright citizen

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 01:27:05 PM
I'd go for the powerlock too, it looks like being the best bet for him, although maybe you shouldn't rule out the spirit, as it's the most ergonomic shape and has lighter weight, so it might be easier on his hand's in the first place and staving of the effects of arthritis for a bit longer :)

Mind you the slide out pliers on the gerbers would be less fiddly too ::)

I'll shut up now, go for the powerlock  :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 02:00:43 PM
I thought about the Spirit and SwissTool as well, and the only reason I ruled them out was because of the resistance of the lock mechanism possibly making it difficult to open them easily.  Otherwise I think the Spirit's handles would be exceptionally comfortable, but if all he'd be able to reliably use is the pliers then it defeats the purpose.

Arthritis is one of those terrible, degenerative things that will cause tools that work today to not work tomorrow, so while he may or may not have good use, strength and motion today, he may not in a year, five years or sometime after that.  The great thing about a quality multi is it's staying power, and it's ability to be just as useful in twenty years as it is today.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 02:55:11 PM
I thought about the Spirit and SwissTool as well, and the only reason I ruled them out was because of the resistance of the lock mechanism possibly making it difficult to open them easily.  Otherwise I think the Spirit's handles would be exceptionally comfortable, but if all he'd be able to reliably use is the pliers then it defeats the purpose.

Arthritis is one of those terrible, degenerative things that will cause tools that work today to not work tomorrow, so while he may or may not have good use, strength and motion today, he may not in a year, five years or sometime after that.  The great thing about a quality multi is it's staying power, and it's ability to be just as useful in twenty years as it is today.

Def
I take your point about the difficulty of getting the tools out on the spirit, maybe it's one of those instances where jocks dad should try before he buys ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 03:46:22 PM
If it's possible, then by all means he should try them before buying.  Of course, if it's a Christmas gift, that kind of spoils the surprise, doesn't it? :P

Def

Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 04:32:57 PM
If it's possible, then by all means he should try them before buying.  Of course, if it's a Christmas gift, that kind of spoils the surprise, doesn't it? :P

Def
Just a tad :D

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 11:48:56 PM
Just a quick update Def very kindly sent me a Powerlock for my Dad to roadtest.It proved a big hit it has made such a difference to him he is really impressed with the build standard and finds it a lot easier than his original leatherman
Thanks to Def and Mick Dads chrimbo is sorted
Cheers guys

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 11:52:27 PM
Great to hear that it was a success!

Don't forget that the PowerLock's tension can also be adjusted and the one I sent you was brand new, so it'll still be a bit stiff.  It may loosen a bit with use, or it can be loosened manually by adjusting the various bolts holding it together.

The PowerLock is a great, solid tool that I imagine will last him a very long time.  I've certainly never heard of one wearing out!

Def

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 12:59:05 AM
Another happy ending. :) Glad it worked!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 01:51:56 AM
Give us another update after awhile please Jock. Glad it's working out.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 05:57:23 PM
Sure thing I will update after Christmas

Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 10:34:28 PM
Sure thing I will update after Christmas
Someone's dad's gona be a happy camper soon ain't they :)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 12:23:49 AM
If and when I get arthritis, will you guys buy me a new SOG?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 01:38:03 AM
By the time you are old enough to experience the joys of arthritis, I'll be a professional daisy pusher, so you'll have to ask someone else!

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 07:39:13 AM
 :P

Well maybe I'll get lucky, I met a guy once who had arthritis at sixteen.

::)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 08:27:15 AM
Trust me- it's not worth it for a free tool.

Def

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 12:13:39 PM
:P

Well maybe I'll get lucky, I met a guy once who had arthritis at sixteen.

::)
Mate years ago I watched the old man jump down from the shed roof and land on a nail he pulled the thing out and didn't bat an eye ,the pain in his hands has had him fighting back tears that ain't a fair trade for a free tool

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 01:42:30 PM
Well if this site folded and went out of business tomorrow, I would still be proud of what we did to find the right tool to help your father continue on despite his problem.  I know the pain of arthritis- some mornings when I get up I have to crawl out of bed because my left ankle has seized up and any pressure on it sends pain through it on a level that no man should have to endure.  I can only imagine what your father, who was obviously a hard working man is going through with not only the pain in his hands, but also the frustration of not being able to do things that he used to do or need to be done.  Pain is one thing, feeling useless is much worse, and at the end of the day, both can weigh on you like there's no tomorrow.

Like I said, I'm glad we could have helped him, even just a bit.

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 10:42:57 AM
The powerlock would be good for you as it is quite large and easy to grip.

The locking mechanism is easy to release as well.

Also, if your dad would struggle to get each tool out, you could remove the ones he wouldn't use and fit spacers so there are bigger gaps around each tool.

+1 good idea's!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 10:53:17 AM

Def

When I was a kid, my parents would take me shopping usually christmas eve (talk about crowds, and I lived in a big city!) and get me whatever I wanted for christmas, but I couldn't play with it or use it, or wear it until I opened them for christmas (clothes was not a problem).

Sure their was no surprise but I got what I wanted (even though I never found what I really wanted shopping on x-mas eve, everything good/popular was sold out!). I was still a happy camper and too this day don't like surprises. Me, myself would much rather get what I want/need then getting the surprise of; "Ohh that's nice" and not really  mean it!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 10:56:14 AM
Just a quick update Def very kindly sent me a Powerlock for my Dad to roadtest.It proved a big hit it has made such a difference to him he is really impressed with the build standard and finds it a lot easier than his original leatherman
Thanks to Def and Mick Dads chrimbo is sorted
Cheers guys

Super nice gesture boss, your the best!

Now I've always wanted a "Blonde, Brunette and Redhead" all leggy for a test drive; shall I clean the pad, and buy more snacks now?

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 03:57:47 AM
Arthritis is definately not fun.  My grandmother can barely get around her own house now.  I have it in 2 of my fingers and I must say that pounding golf balls for 2 hours a day is not as fun as it used to be. 

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 26, 2007, 05:36:41 PM
Hi guys
Just an update on my dads Power lock .He has "tested "it vigorously half the house has been re-built and every pencil has a dagger sharp point it's real nice to see him able to do things he used to and not be in pain
Thanks Again to all who helped me with tool selection
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 05:40:49 PM by jock1 »

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 26, 2007, 05:40:14 PM
Did he get one with scissors or one with a V-cutter?

By the way, I'm glad he likes it!
[

Reply #29 on: December 26, 2007, 05:41:19 PM
Hi guys
Just an update on my dads Power lock .He has "tested "it vigorously half the house has been re-built and every pencil has a dagger sharp point it's real nice to see him able to do things he used to and not be in pain
Thanks Again to all who helped me with tool selection
Ricky Crawford
Very cool story mate, I'm glad your Dads getting on with it :), thats a very cool gift you got him mate, giving him back his hands so to speak :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD