Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My poor man's Sebenza

edap617 · 116 · 24084

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: My poor man's Sebenza
Reply #90 on: April 24, 2011, 07:52:17 AM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  I give up!!!!!!!!
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #91 on: April 24, 2011, 08:10:41 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  I give up!!!!!!!!

dont give up GG its your opinion but not everyones, again life we all make these to day to day, as i said i agree but its life, my opinion,  :D

lifes to short to worry about these things, lets move on, if folk dont like these posts dont post on them just leave them  :tu:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:10:00 AM by Zed »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #92 on: April 28, 2011, 02:44:59 PM
another one th cheese GG off  :D  the poor mans larger sebenza  ;) Bee L03-2

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #93 on: April 28, 2011, 04:25:25 PM
..also available in fake damascus....

I know people harp on about the 710, justifiably, but there are some quite cracking knives coming from SRM, Land, BEE, Navy etc. that hardly ever get a mention.
This is one of them, really nice looking knife, a bargain at under $8.  :tu:
Nice pushchair and bike too, good selection for the background.  :D
IMG_7582.JPG
* IMG_7582.JPG (Filesize: 55.62 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: April 28, 2011, 04:38:53 PM
..also available in fake damascus....

I know people harp on about the 710, justifiably, but there are some quite cracking knives coming from SRM, Land, BEE, Navy etc. that hardly ever get a mention.
This is one of them, really nice looking knife, a bargain at under $8.  :tu:
Nice pushchair and bike too, good selection for the background.  :D

bikes my oldest daughters  :D the only thing i might change is the thinkness of the scales as i think its a little too thick but other than that its very good, im going to copy these scales for one of my 710's as tony sent me some the other day, i might just profile the l03's scales near the stud  :tu:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #95 on: April 28, 2011, 05:03:55 PM
That's a nice folder Paul..  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:15 PM
That's a nice folder Paul..  :tu:

cheer allan, its very smooth, no blade play, brass washers, ive profiled the sclale near the stud so much easyer to open although that hard before but just me  :D  its all smoothed off and treated so would not known i did it  ;) i paid £12.50 and think thats a good price as build wise worth more, although i wish it was allen bolts like the 710 as i dont have these sizes here to fiddle other than one that fits the blade screw, very cool folder very happy,  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:48 AM
well grinded bottom of the blade as wanted it to go further over on the frame lock, profilled the thumb stud side scale to make it even easyer to flick out and altered the shape of the other side scale, all done now  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: April 29, 2011, 11:06:23 AM
I removed the thumb stud to heat it up out of interest, it went blue but not all over so stuck on the heat again and it went goldish, oh well worth ago  :D

my 3 frame locks
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:37:03 AM by Zed »

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #99 on: April 29, 2011, 06:45:16 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

I appreciate that...  You're now on ignore!!!!   >:(
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: April 29, 2011, 07:52:07 PM

I appreciate that...  You're now on ignore!!!!   >:(

:-\  dont worry GG these dont get out much , more out of interest, still packing a casexx pocket knife  ;)

us Offline choombak

Reply #101 on: May 06, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
These knives are good to toss around the house, and cut a thing or two, but I won't bank on them for serious jobs, or camping/hiking/trekking carry. You get what you pay for. If I am short on moolah, I go with the Byrd line from Spyderco, or the Tenacious folder. If I have money, I go with the Delica/Endura (~$50 knives).

Also, the cheapest place to get the SRM knives from is exduct - they also run monthly specials where knives are heavily discounted. Shipping is typically ~$4 per piece, registered.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #102 on: May 06, 2011, 01:27:12 PM
..I go with the Byrd line from Spyderco, or the Tenacious folder. ..

If only we knew which Chinese company makes the Byrd line..  :D
Oh, well, my experience with SRM,Bee etc. has been positive so far, but for harder tasks I use a, cheap, martiini or a mora.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: May 06, 2011, 03:41:55 PM

Oh, well, my experience with SRM,Bee etc. has been positive so far, but for harder tasks I use a, cheap, martiini or a mora.

Me too  :tu:

us Offline choombak

Reply #104 on: May 12, 2011, 07:19:56 AM

SRM does make some Byrd knives, as revealed by Sal after a lot of prodding on the spyderco forums (or bf, don't recall which one). This discussion was sparked by SRM mentioning they being OEM for Spyderco on their pages. Which ones, we don't know. The only thing we know, is Byrd manufactured by SRM (or any Chinese shop) goes through the Spyderco-established QC process, while their own models do not. That accounts for the price difference between Byrd and SRM. So when you buy directly from SRM, the fit/finish won't be as good on the Byrd ones.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Re: My poor man's Sebenza
Reply #105 on: May 12, 2011, 10:25:50 AM

SRM does make some Byrd knives, as revealed by Sal after a lot of prodding on the spyderco forums (or bf, don't recall which one). This discussion was sparked by SRM mentioning they being OEM for Spyderco on their pages. Which ones, we don't know. The only thing we know, is Byrd manufactured by SRM (or any Chinese shop) goes through the Spyderco-established QC process, while their own models do not. That accounts for the price difference between Byrd and SRM. So when you buy directly from SRM, the fit/finish won't be as good on the Byrd ones.

Is that from personal experience or just hear say? Because I have both Byrds and SRMs and to be honest, I had more complaints to the Byrds fit and finnish than SRMs. I had to take the Cara Cara 2 apart to clean it and remove some metal shavings from it when I got it and it wasn't as sharp as it shoud be from the box. The original Cara Cara was much better. I have 6 SRMs, never had a problem or complaint with any of them.

us Offline choombak

Re: Re: My poor man's Sebenza
Reply #106 on: May 12, 2011, 10:44:38 AM

Is that from personal experience or just hear say? Because I have both Byrds and SRMs and to be honest, I had more complaints to the Byrds fit and finnish than SRMs. I had to take the Cara Cara 2 apart to clean it and remove some metal shavings from it when I got it and it wasn't as sharp as it shoud be from the box. The original Cara Cara was much better. I have 6 SRMs, never had a problem or complaint with any of them.

Personal experience - all my SRMs' have come with poor fit and finish, and were very difficult to deploy. All my Byrds' have been excellent, and super sharp. Haha, interesting - we both are at extremes. I am sure we won't be at odds' had we been discussing about a Delica4 or Sage1/2. :-)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #107 on: May 12, 2011, 10:53:20 AM
I dont pay say £10 on a knife and excpect it to last forever of be the best fit n finnish in the world, but ive had no real issues with srm or many other cheaper knives, TBH its like the winchester folding hunter i just got , its pretty solid , blade has no movement open but some play closed (ive heard some 110's have had this issue) but when i get a 110 i know it will have better back up if it goes wrong, but then thats why you pay more, for the after service,  :tu:

us Offline choombak

Reply #108 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:42 AM
I dont pay say £10 on a knife and excpect it to last forever of be the best fit n finnish in the world, but ive had no real issues with srm or many other cheaper knives, TBH its like the winchester folding hunter i just got , its pretty solid , blade has no movement open but some play closed (ive heard some 110's have had this issue) but when i get a 110 i know it will have better back up if it goes wrong, but then thats why you pay more, for the after service:tu:

I would rather purchase the costliest knife I can afford from a reputed manufacturer, that I can trust, than several cheap ones. I have physical scars to prove this point. Haha. :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #109 on: May 12, 2011, 11:43:56 AM
I dont pay say £10 on a knife and excpect it to last forever of be the best fit n finnish in the world, but ive had no real issues with srm or many other cheaper knives, TBH its like the winchester folding hunter i just got , its pretty solid , blade has no movement open but some play closed (ive heard some 110's have had this issue) but when i get a 110 i know it will have better back up if it goes wrong, but then thats why you pay more, for the after service:tu:

I would rather purchase the costliest knife I can afford from a reputed manufacturer, that I can trust, than several cheap ones. I have physical scars to prove this point. Haha. :)

i do agree but have many scars from good knives and MT's  :D for me its like my wave, i had my originla for over 11 years but then had a few issues so off it went and back it came all brand new, i use the wave a lot and some of these knives like this 710 dont hardly ever see the light of day, i generaly only colect user tools but have got into collecting a few that i cant due to uk laws, these are shelf queens so dont worry me about warrantys etc, but as i always say each to there own,

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #110 on: May 12, 2011, 04:27:47 PM
The way I see it the downside with buying SRMs etc is that you can’t really go to a shop and see it and if you have a problem you can not have a dealer fix it or offer you a replacement on the spot.

Beginning of rant, will be very boring, skip….

However, for most people that are not in the US this is also true for spyderco, Buck, Cold Steel, Leatherman (not so much) etc.
Apart from the Swiss army knives you can not get many known brands in shops (I don’t know anybody that owns a spyderco or a buck or a cold steel and have not seen any in shops… and I look).
We do have a leatherman dealer who sells them for nearly 3 times what I can get them from the internet…  If you ask for an item to be replaced because it is damaged they will replace it for free provided you pay them 20-30 euro for their postage cost to the states (for a ps4).  >:(

Most internet sites and Ebay sellers (all that I have dealt with) will refund you for, or replace any knife or multitool you have a problem with.

I have not had to send an SRM knife back yet, and I have a few, but I have sent and had replaced, Opinel, Buck Creek, Steel warrior and have got refunds for CRKT and Buck, all these through ebay sellers. I also received a free replacement, from the seller for the Ps4 I mentioned previously. As I am aware,  ??? ??? looking at comments in various forums, the big Chinese companies that sell SRM will also sent replacements and provide refunds.

I tend to use mainly SRM/Enlan etc and Cold Steel folders (I am talking locking knives only, not slipjoints) and I am happy with them. I try to avoid buying low quality knives but for me SRM/Enlan and so on, are not low quality, just good value. I however, tend to like lower cost knives, in general.  :D

End of Rant…

With respect to having problems with all the SRM knives you have and based on my experience from various sellers, I would try and buy from different sellers/shops, as some sellers will repeatedly sent problematic knives out, especially if you do not ask for replacements when you have problems.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #111 on: May 27, 2011, 07:29:08 PM
I just got a mail with this months specials from exduct and this caught my eye.

Navy Pocket Knife - SP-K507
- $9.99+$5,4 shipping to Europe.

Black G10 handle and SS frame lock and stonewashed blade.
Looks great.
http://www.exduct.com/Special-Limited-Products/SP-K507-Navy-Pocket-Knife.html

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: May 27, 2011, 07:44:26 PM
I dont pay say £10 on a knife and excpect it to last forever of be the best fit n finnish in the world, but ive had no real issues with srm or many other cheaper knives, TBH its like the winchester folding hunter i just got , its pretty solid , blade has no movement open but some play closed (ive heard some 110's have had this issue) but when i get a 110 i know it will have better back up if it goes wrong, but then thats why you pay more, for the after service,  :tu:

SanRenMu knives come with three month warranties, some sellers also offer longer warranties as well.  I have had an SRM replaced under this warranty when the pivot on a 704 cracked.  I got it replaced in two weeks and didn't have to send the knife back, and only paid $1.50 for the extra shipping charge from Hong Kong.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #113 on: May 27, 2011, 07:50:34 PM
i like that, looks like a 710 with g10, blade shape is different,  :tu:

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #114 on: May 27, 2011, 09:15:58 PM

SanRenMu knives come with three month warranties, some sellers also offer longer warranties as well.  I have had an SRM replaced under this warranty when the pivot on a 704 cracked.  I got it replaced in two weeks and didn't have to send the knife back, and only paid $1.50 for the extra shipping charge from Hong Kong.

who has this warranty?
where did you purchase from?
Quality Control
Materials
Design

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:00 PM

who has this warranty?
where did you purchase from?

A couple of the Chinese sellers have extended warranties (TinyDeal I think, don't hold me to that).  The place I bought the 704 from was Exduct, and they handled the warranty return.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%