Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pics of my trip

J-sews · 54 · 5201

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Pics of my trip
Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 12:40:57 AM
Looks like a fun week, wish I could come next time.

You and anyone else here has a standing invitation J! :salute:

Mind you I've never shot anything other than air rifle, are you sure you want me there?  :D

Did you carry a fixed blade?  I think I asked you in another thread what you were taking but I forgot :P
I think I saw a black handled one in Bob's gear pic, duno what it is thou.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 12:41:32 AM
A+ Pictures and write up bob, I'm glad that the lone hunter/hunting culture is alive and well, its a skill mankind cannot live without inspite  of our "modern living" IMHO.
Hope you have sorted out whats need to be sorted.......... Picture request picture of the prepared deer dish or processed deer would be nice  :drool:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 12:46:33 AM
Awesome story and pics, thanks Bob.  I'd love to explore that island..were there still standing settlements/farms, or has it all been eaten up by mother nature?

So how did you find out that the ship wasn't coming to pick you guys up?  Did you all just meet up at the dock and realize you were all there for another day?

Did you carry a fixed blade?  I think I asked you in another thread what you were taking but I forgot :P

There are several old farmsteads Anthony, although they are rapidly disappearing. The ravages of time and weather seem more intense out on the island. :-\

As regards the delayed ferry ride, the park rangers on the mainland radioed the island crew and informed them that the boat would not be coming. We hunters were all packed up and waiting on the dock at that time. The tall hills behind us were blocking the wind, so we had no idea there were mountainous waves crashing through the channel! (we found out later that a park employee did indeed come across, in an inflatable rough-weather raft and wearing a full survival suit in case he got washed overboard!) :o

Needless to say, none of us was THAT anxious to get home! :D

My fixed blade:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 05:52:53 AM
Just curious Bob. How well did the Surefire A2 perform for you and how many sets of batteries did you go through?
"

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 06:15:46 AM
Excellent write up and pics!  Gives a good sense of what it's like to be on the island.

Seriously, this is good enough to be published in one of the outdoor mags.

I'm amazed that only 26 people show up to take advantage of the opportunity.  Seems like there would be enough people applying that they'd have to limit the number through a lottery or something.

N

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 06:30:27 PM
I would go just for the camping and exploring! Looks like a neat place to hang out for a week. Congratz on the tag mate :cheers:
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 12:08:46 AM
Congrats on the deer Bob. It sure looked like you had a great time. I don't recall it being asked but what rifle and caliber did you use? I got a deer this year too. But I didn't use a rifle, I used that ultimate deer killer, a Ford.  :D :D

I would go just for the camping and exploring!
Yeah, I'd like to go and do that too. Not too much of a hunter anymore since my eyes went to craps but I think it'd be fun to see how well I could do in the woods for a week w/o any modern conveniences. That no having any fire rule would make it twice as hard IMO.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #37 on: November 17, 2009, 12:26:27 AM
Congrats on the deer Bob. It sure looked like you had a great time. I don't recall it being asked but what rifle and caliber did you use? I got a deer this year too. But I didn't use a rifle, I used that ultimate deer killer, a Ford.  :D :D

I would go just for the camping and exploring!
Yeah, I'd like to go and do that too. Not too much of a hunter anymore since my eyes went to craps but I think it'd be fun to see how well I could do in the woods for a week w/o any modern conveniences. That no having any fire rule would make it twice as hard IMO.

No, no, no!

Not having a fire makes it twice as easy.

You don't expend valuable time and energy gathering wood, starting, and then feeding a fire.

You can camp anywhere without consideration if it's a safe spot for a fire.

Instead of ruined night vision from a bright fire, your eyes undergo dark adaptation and you see more of what's around you in the night.

Without the crackling of a fire, you can hear the wildlife all around.

Critters will sometimes come right into your campsite, which they would never do if you had a fire going.

N

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 12:31:52 AM
I like fire.  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 12:39:27 AM

Because you're still a Neanderthal at heart. ;>

Well, maybe you've progressed to Cro Magnon.

N

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 01:34:37 AM
Nice pics Bob, looks like quite the experience.

As for myself, I require some sort of heat once the temperature drops below 65 degrees F. My thin suburban skin can't handle those frigid conditions.  8)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 17, 2009, 02:17:14 AM

Because you're still a Neanderthal at heart. ;>

Well, maybe you've progressed to Cro Magnon.

I do carry a club, although I call it a cane and no one seems to mind.  :D :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: November 17, 2009, 02:32:36 AM
Just curious Bob. How well did the Surefire A2 perform for you and how many sets of batteries did you go through?

An hour past sundown and deep in the forest with an overloaded buck cart, my A2 was absolutely invaluable for scouting a path home. Had it just been me walking, there would have been no issues. But with the loaded cart, I constantly needed to avoid thick brush in the woods, ditches, fallen trees, etc. The incandescent lamp on the A2 lit things up nicely, allowing me to plan a path around obstacles before I actually reached them. :)

On the downside, the batteries were already failing before I got back. :(

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: November 17, 2009, 02:34:07 AM

My little sweetheart, a Browning A-bolt in .25-06 :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #44 on: November 17, 2009, 05:48:39 AM

An hour past sundown and deep in the forest with an overloaded buck cart, my A2 was absolutely invaluable for scouting a path home. Had it just been me walking, there would have been no issues. But with the loaded cart, I constantly needed to avoid thick brush in the woods, ditches, fallen trees, etc. The incandescent lamp on the A2 lit things up nicely, allowing me to plan a path around obstacles before I actually reached them. :)

On the downside, the batteries were already failing before I got back. :(

Princeton Tec Eos:
http://edcdepot.com/princetonteceosheadlamp.aspx

Get one.

Preferably before next year's hunting trip.

Nice to have the hands free for the cart, for pushing branches out of the way, and for whatever comes up.

Nice to have hands free light around camp for cooking, reading in bed, and whatever.

Nice to have a 3.7 oz light that gets decent runtime using 3AAA cells.

N

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 11:45:50 AM
That was a fascinating read Bob; well written with great pics.  Well done for bagging yourself a buck!  It looks like you had a great time; I'm intending to get into that sort of thing over here :)

Of all the excellent experiences you must have had, is there one that truly stands out as the best of the trip?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: November 18, 2009, 02:26:57 PM
Thanks for the pics and all the caption on them Bob :cheers: Glad the coyotes didn't eat ya :D and that looks like a very nice buck you got there :cheers:

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: November 18, 2009, 03:04:33 PM
Bob,  :tu:
 :salute:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #48 on: December 10, 2009, 04:51:08 AM
I was talking with another hunter who went on that trip and he says he saw you get that deer.  He sent me this pic thinking you may want a copy of it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 04:56:53 AM
I was talking with another hunter who went on that trip and he says he saw you get that deer.  He sent me this pic thinking you may want a copy of it!

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

Uhh... umm... nice hat, Bob!
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 05:16:19 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

Uhh... umm... nice hat, Bob!
:ahhh :ahhh
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 10, 2009, 05:56:08 AM
Just came across this thread for the first time, was a very nice entertaining and educational read Bob.   :tu: on the headlamp suggestion, I use one on every camping/hiking trip. Thx for sharing  :cheers:

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #52 on: September 07, 2011, 02:06:45 AM

Bob,

Are you planning another island adventure this fall?
This was the first post I ever read on MT.O, and I've never looked back (despite above pics).
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: September 07, 2011, 03:59:20 AM
Oh man, you must be reading my mind!! :D The application period for the island hunt is September 1st through the 30th, and this weekend I started dreaming about going again. :dd: I reeeaaalllly want to go, but we've got a lot happening at work right now, and I don't know if I could get away for the whole first week of November. :think:

Damn, I might just do it though!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%