Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pulse and Flair

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Pulse and Flair
on: October 22, 2006, 09:57:04 AM
We haven't seen much of the LM Pulse and Flair. Does anybody out there have one these tools and what do you think of them?
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Pulse and Flair
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:10:47 PM
Those are two discontinued models that I haven't got (yet) so I really can't comment on them myself.  I think those were the types of tools that were just really in the "background" an were part of the line but never really made much of an impact.  There wasn't really the serious interest in them that there is for more interesting tools like the Wave (one handed opening), SuperTool (massive size), Juice series (bright colors- blasphemy in a tool!) and so on.

It's too bad because the Flair especially interests me, but then I also make alot of wine at home, and I like fancy corkscrews.  I try to limit my corkscrews to tools though as I could never affordt to buy antique corkscrews!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 02:01:32 AM
I always thought the Flair was somewhat of a joke. I mean, why the heck waste precious blade space with silly things like a Coktail Fork (little pickle sticker) or a Spreader Knife (butter knife with no serrations). Both are really quite useless.

However, I have appreciated the corkscrew on mine a few times, and the pliers and handles are the same as a good ol' PST. As a matter of fact, the Flair has all of the same capabilities as a PST II, except that it substitutes the corkscrew for the diamond file.
Flair box.jpg
* Flair box.jpg (Filesize: 73.69 KB)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:09:57 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 08:51:13 AM
I got my Pulse in the mail today.  I like it. It's light weight, has strong pliers, scissors (a most used tool for me), diamond file, and all the screwdrivers you need.  And the ST 200 style lock release that I always hated is much easier to use on the Pulse.
"

Offline colubrid

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 04:40:50 PM
I always thought the Flair was somewhat of a joke. I mean, why the heck waste precious blade space with silly things like a Coktail Fork (little pickle sticker) or a Spreader Knife (butter knife with no serrations). Both are really quite useless.

However, I have appreciated the corkscrew on mine a few times, and the pliers and handles are the same as a good ol' PST. As a matter of fact, the Flair has all of the same capabilities as a PST II, except that it substitutes the corkscrew for the diamond file.

I alawys thought the same thing. what was leatherman design team thinking?

I wonder how many of these were made and if they will end up being more collectable?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 09:07:36 AM
I don't think we should knock LM for trying something different once in a while.  So many of their tools today are the same with just more or different implements. I don't know the numbers but they porbably didn't make the Flair in large numbers anyway.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 11:40:30 AM
I agree... in the last 20 years or so there have been so many variations in the basic tool design that I don't think any idea would be too far fetched.

Experimentation is pretty well what keeps the industry fresh and interesting.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 02:14:58 AM
I got my Pulse in the mail today.  I like it. It's light weight, has strong pliers, scissors (a most used tool for me), diamond file, and all the screwdrivers you need.  And the ST 200 style lock release that I always hated is much easier to use on the Pulse.

On the Pulse, I like the way they rolled the edges of the handles over, so it is comfortable to sqeeze hard. As a matter of fact, I think this is a classier solution than the plastic inserts that came along later on the Kick / Fuse / Blast, which serve the same purpose.
pulse edge.jpg
* pulse edge.jpg (Filesize: 43.59 KB)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:19:14 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 02:30:15 AM
Probably cheaper and easier to slide in some plastric inserts rather than fold the metal though.

Too bad as it does look nicer too.

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 10:38:17 AM
I agree it looks nicer too. I think alot of LM's older designed tools looked better than there newer ones. There is a simple elegance to the PST when you look at it. Even if it did kill your hands when you used the pliers.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 09:12:46 PM
Pretty is as pretty does...

I personally don't mind sacrificing looks for function in a tool.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%