Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What caused you to buy a swisstool

CQC-7 · 63 · 7842

Poll

What elements helped you to decide to buy a swisstool

Blade design
0 (0%)
Size and weight
0 (0%)
Variety of tools
2 (6.7%)
Solid construction (good fit and finish)
18 (60%)
Company reputation/lifetime gurantee
3 (10%)
all the cool kids have them
7 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
What caused you to buy a swisstool
on: November 07, 2007, 04:45:16 PM
I was wondering about this one for a while.  For those of us who own swisstools, why did we buy em?

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Re: What caused you to buy a swisstool
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:47:14 PM
I bought both of my swisstool models because of their fit and finish.  My tools have absolutely no rattle.  I admire all qualities of my swisstool but fit and finish was the ultimate factor in my purchase.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:47:39 PM
As the head of SOSAK, it's pretty we a necessity for me!

Of course I wanted one when they first came out.  That was a few months after I'd gotten my first multi, a PST II, and having had Victorinox knives before that, I wanted to see what they could do with a plier tool.

It was a few years before I managed to get a SwissTool though- at the time I was working so many contracts I never had the time to go shopping, and at a retail price of about $140, it was a bit steep.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:54:32 PM
If I could've split my  vote,it would've been for fit and finish and company reputation.
I

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 04:57:11 PM
I bought mine because everyone here talked about how good they were.  So I picked "all the cool kids have them" :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 05:04:18 PM
I kind of figured I'd put that option in there because I know that at least someone used that as a reason.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:19:02 PM
Impulse....i was going to work at an outdoor activity centre in Scotland 3 years ago and i already had my Gerber MP600 but wanted a backup and Amazon had the Swisstool....so i bought it...then when i was there i bought a Wave...and the addiction started, i knew nothing about multitools back then but later i found out i'd made a rather good choice with the Swisstool.

Roadie
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:25:19 PM
 Well SWISS ARMY KNIVES are my favorit anytime. and I don't know why I took so long to get one....but the name say a lot to me and I know they will never let me down..... + the products are the most tough in the market.....

M.TEX

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 06:36:59 PM
Fit and finish for me plus the victorinox name . I can remember the first time I saw one in a shop window and I thought " hey thats shiny and looks tougher then my PST "and the rest they say is history  :D

Dunc

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 07:03:38 PM
The fit and finish for me too, combined with indestructable build and from a great company too, I couldn't loose really :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 11:42:46 PM
Where is "All of the above" option?  :D
-------
Alexei

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 12:25:48 AM
The actual reason is Tim Leatherman's politics.  I was a happy Super Tool guy for a long time before that. 
W

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 12:30:48 AM
I bought a Spirit because "all the cool forumites have them"...I didn't need it at all, but it came up in a trade and I went for it :D
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 01:35:54 AM
I guess that almost everyone likes the swisstool.  I have never heard anyone here ever slam them.  It appears that fit and finish is top dog right now with all the cool kids have them a distant second.   

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 02:28:07 AM
I bought my first one at a local sporting goods store just to see how it compared to my Leatherman. I bought my RS and a black oxide one because of All Of The Above.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 05:54:22 AM
From what I have read here, a lot of people find them in sporting goods stores.  I know of only one store around here that actually carries a nice selection of Vic knives however, they never had swisstools.  When I asked them if they ever got them in the guy did not even know that they made a multitool.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 02:15:29 PM
 I do most of my buying online and especially from Tim(Felinevet).Just one sporting goods store nearby carries a wide line of Vic,and they tend to take MSRP as a baseline and go up from there. :twak:
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 03:41:40 PM
The place that carries Vic knives around here actually has decent prices.  I got a Ranger for $30.  I havent looked up prices on the ranger but I thought that it was a fair price.  It is a small local hardware store and I was suprised at their SAK selection was as large as it was.  Most places around here only carry a few buck 110's, a few Case, and a bunch of cheap Chinese junk.  The store also had a lot of Leatherman Sheaths but not one Leatherman tool.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 06:51:10 PM
I bought my SwissTool from this store years ago. It was the only one they had. It was in some sort of special display at the front of the store. Nobody bought the tool, and I saw the same one there in the same place for many months. If I recall correctly, it was rather highly priced. Too rich for my blood. I had no idea then what a top quality piece of work it was. Finally the store put the SwissTool on clearance just to get rid of it, and I bought it. (Can't remember the price.) Finally handling the tool, I was amazed at the quality of construction, fit, and finish.

Anyhow, I've never seen another SwissTool for sale in a store.  ???

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Splat

Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 01:50:42 AM
You know, I really bought one because it's solidly built, has a good plethora of tools, and is outside-opening. The last being the most important because my LM Core isn't....but also has a great plethora of tools!  :)
--
Splat
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 01:53:33 AM by Splat »
Splat

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 03:13:41 AM
The tool selection is quite useful to me as well.  I decided to use only my swisstool today when I was servicing my firearms collection because I was bored out of my mind.  The swisstools tool selection works great for everything that can be found on a firearm except the hex screws.

Offline jtb49er2000

Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 05:42:53 AM
I stumbled across a table of knives for sale at a local Lowes home improvement store a few years back during a Day after Thanksgiving special.  The hardest thing was to narrow down my choices to only what I could afford...all the prices were at least 50% off, with a lot of the prices marked down a good 75%!!  I ended up buying a Case trapper and a Vic Swisstool.  At the time I didn't know that Victorinox made plier based multi-tools, but once I handled it, I knew I had to have it.  The funny thing is that I had just bought a SOG Powerlock about a week or so before at Wal-mart when it kept getting marked down.  The price and selection got low enough so I finally snagged one (I think their last one) and actually never saw Wal-mart carry them again.  I thought that SOG was the way to go until I bought the Swisstool!  I swear, looking for the illusive perfect multi-tool has definitely led to too many toys sitting around in shoeboxes now.

Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 10:27:35 AM
I swear, looking for the illusive perfect multi-tool has definitely led to too many toys sitting around in shoeboxes now.
I think that's a pretty common story around here mate :D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 03:11:29 PM
The same thing happens with just about everything that I buy.  Golf clubs, Knives, Guns, Multitools, they are all the same.  I pick one up because I think it it cool.  I carry it for a while and them I eventualy replace it with somthing else.

Offline Papacat

Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 06:48:22 PM
I got mine based on all of the stories on this site telling how reliable they are and I have to agree.  So far, I have not been disappointed by my Spirit.  Even though Victorinox is not the first to develope a plier-based multitool, they certainly know how to make it durable. 

-Papacat. 
"

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 10:03:07 PM
I hadn't really planned on getting one. But Tim (Felinevet) had a used SwissTool RS for $30.00 and I thought it would be a nice inexpensive way to try one based on the positive comments it's received. Touched up the regular and serrated blades and was good to go. Man, it's a tough multi and useful, though I did break down and get a Spirit S too. The Spirit fits in my back pocket while the SwissTool rides in my truck.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #26 on: November 16, 2007, 10:24:13 PM
I can still remember the first time I saw a swisstool  :D It was in a window display of a outdoor and country shop in Norwich ( my nearest city about 20 miles away ) . Victorinox had just released it and was way before I got the internet so finding info was difficult . A couple of months later I saw one in a department store in another town . It was £70  :o but I had just been given £2000 as a present from a relative ( shame that doesnt happen very often ) so I was feeling a little flush so I bought it there and then along with a 3 D cell Mag. I can honestly say no other product I have ever bought has impressed me so much and it still does today some 8 years later although the LM Charge Came close but quickly wore off .There is something really appealing about going into a shop and looking at and buying something youve been wanting for ages . Sadley that element is lost with the internet  >:( But replaced with greater choice and cheaper prices . A while ago someone on here posted a thread with pictures of a store that sold a Camo Charge . The store looked awsome and there is nothing that comes close to that in the UK .

Dunc

Reply #27 on: November 16, 2007, 10:41:33 PM
I can still remember the first time I saw a swisstool  :D It was in a window display of a outdoor and country shop in Norwich ( my nearest city about 20 miles away ) . Victorinox had just released it and was way before I got the internet so finding info was difficult . A couple of months later I saw one in a department store in another town . It was £70  :o but I had just been given £2000 as a present from a relative ( shame that doesnt happen very often ) so I was feeling a little flush so I bought it there and then along with a 3 D cell Mag. I can honestly say no other product I have ever bought has impressed me so much and it still does today some 8 years later although the LM Charge Came close but quickly wore off .There is something really appealing about going into a shop and looking at and buying something youve been wanting for ages . Sadley that element is lost with the internet  >:( But replaced with greater choice and cheaper prices . A while ago someone on here posted a thread with pictures of a store that sold a Camo Charge . The store looked awsome and there is nothing that comes close to that in the UK .

Dunc
And now you can't buy air-rifles of firearms via the net, I guess the gunshop will either take of in a big way again, or more likely completly die off :(

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #28 on: November 16, 2007, 11:01:34 PM

Dunc
And now you can't buy air-rifles of firearms via the net, I guess the gunshop will either take of in a big way again, or more likely completly die off :(

Thats another very fond memory I have from my childhood  :D Going to a gun shop with my dad to choose my first air rifle  :D Can still remember the smell of the shop , leather and wood and gun oil . Try not to think about guns too much or I may want another and I cant aford it and dont have anywhere to shoot  :(

Dunc

Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 11:05:31 PM
Same here I loved going into our local gunshop when I was a kid :) Looking at all the airpistols and rifles, and the proper guns too ::) i had a thing for knives even way back then too :D

I'm like you I would love another rifle, but I can't shoot it anywhere :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69