Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

does victorinox rust?

kareem · 12 · 12582

Offline kareem

does victorinox rust?
on: March 26, 2011, 07:31:30 PM
i have two victorinoxes and usually when i wash them i just let them dry on their on
while when i put even a drop of water on my leatherman freestyle i whip it immediatly sincei have seen lot of pictures with rusted freestyles/skeletools
now my questions are
1:does victorinox rust if i put water on it and dont whip it off or in a year or so it will rust?
2: will a swisstool/spirit rust if i take them to the beach or go with them in the sea?

nz Offline HawkeyX

Re: does victorinox rust?
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:53:00 PM
Whilst Im sure there is a point where they do, I had several knives that had been sitting in silt and eroded the alloy scales to almost nothing. The tools and blades after a soak in soapy warm water came out good as new still (sharp even).
I'd be rinsing something off that had been in salt water, but thats common practice for everything isnt it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:42:38 PM
Last summer I was camping at the sea with some friends. One of them asked me if he could borrow a knife. I gave him my GAK and forgot about it till the next morning. It turns out he went diving for mussels (type of clamps) with it and forgot the knife on the shore  :ahhh (note to self "never ever let someone use your gear, people are idiots" ). I found it in a puddle of sea water, and as I didn't have any maintenance gear with me I just washed it of in bottled water and wiped it down with a paper towel. No rust what so ever. I can't remember I ever saw a rusty SAK. Leathermans on the other hand tend to get rust spots even from sweaty hands.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:16:22 PM
I think on SOSAK a member took his farmer swimming for 2 hours in the ocean to see how it held up against rust. 2 Hours in salt water, a rinse down, and not a spot of rust.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:43 PM
YES! Vics can rust, I've seen them.  Tends to happen around the nail nicks and the tang stamps in my experience.  Now all the ones I've seen (and it's not many) have all been second hand, so I don't know what the owner did to them, but it is possible.  Also be careful of the aluminium liners on SAKs oxidising, it'll ruin the action when opening and closing the tools.

As the others have said a soaking in salt water won't kill them, but I'd rinse them off in clean water afterwards.  Also try not to get sand in the pivots, it can be a PITA to clean out. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:02:59 PM
Steel will rust. Some faster than others.

Offline SRSemenza

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 12:24:09 AM
Hi,

A little wiki info on stainless steel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

Seth

Offline kareem

Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:51:54 AM
i found a video on youtube by cutlery lover
he tests the h1 steel so he puts it in salt water for days and he puts a small SAK with it and it turns out that after some days the SAK rusts, just a bit not to much
then he puts it in a jar of bleach and leave it there for some days , the knife deteriorate and 1/4 of it goes away

but if we want to be realistic... we dont live in the sea and leave our tools in the water for days nor we leave them in bleach for a week , in my opinion you can take the sak to the beach with out fearing that it will get ruin , over time it will but if you dont live near the beach i dont think there would be a problem

an amazing thing is the h1 steel , truly truly amazing

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 04:36:24 AM
The H1 steel is pretty amazing...I've got two of them and they are fantastic. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 10:29:44 AM
I like H1 too, but I guess a Vic will hold up pretty well too.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 12:02:18 PM
i found a video on youtube by cutlery lover
he tests the h1 steel so he puts it in salt water for days and he puts a small SAK with it and it turns out that after some days the SAK rusts, just a bit not to much

I saw that video too:

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 04:46:02 AM
They can rust , but you really have to work at it .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD