Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Deluxe Tinker Caplifter Question

Offline pelotonjon

Deluxe Tinker Caplifter Question
on: March 29, 2011, 04:44:09 AM
Is the cap lifter on the Victorinox Deluxe Tinker supposed to be much stiffer than the other components?  It's so stiff it's a lot harder to close than all the other components on the tool.  Did I get a lemon?

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Re: Deluxe Tinker Caplifter Question
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 05:19:21 AM
Does it have the half-stop position? Does it close slowly or only under force? Is the small blade hard to close as well? Could be a overpeening thing on that one end or if it is only the cap lifter it could be a dirty or corroded liner. Anyway, the best thing to do is clean well under warm water, dry thoroughly and then apply light mineral oil to it and retest. If it does not fix it and the small blade closes fine it is probably a bad or corroded liners next to the cap lifter.

Offline pelotonjon

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 05:28:56 AM
The caplifter does have the half-stop position.  The small blade closes fine.  It's brand new, so I'm not sure how anything could be corroded.  I'm really starting to think I got a lemon.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:50:52 AM
It's meant to be that way. If you look closely at where backspring engages in open position, you will see that it has a "notch" whereas other implements have a straight back (what's called a notch-joint, as oppose to slip-joint on other tools). This is for the backspring to hook onto and provide more resistance to closing, so when you use it as a screwdriver it wouldn't close on your finger.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:53:06 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 06:26:23 AM
It's meant to be that way. If you look closely at where backspring engages in open position, you will see that it has a "notch" whereas other implements have a straight back (what's called a notch-joint, as oppose to slip-joint on other tools). This is for the backspring to hook onto and provide more resistance to closing, so when you use it as a screwdriver it wouldn't close on your finger.

Nice explanation, very well said.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:47:27 AM
ive had some new ones that are a little stiff to close the tools on and they dont snap back by themselves but i dont really mind that much. I would rather have slightly stiffer tools than loose and sloppy ones. A victorinox lemon would be a rarity i would think.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 10:46:30 AM
It happens but yes it would be unusual.  Vics. QC is pretty top notch.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%