Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thicker tools

au Offline Cyclone82

Thicker tools
on: March 31, 2011, 08:50:16 AM

Ok so I know up to 93/94 the soldiers had 2.70mm thick can and bottle openers without the little wire stripper notch and then after that they went to 2.20mm thick tools with the wire stripper.

What were the pioneers, farmers, harvesters, electricians etc like?

Did they have the thicker 2.70mm tools with no wire stripper cut out or did they have the wire striper on the thicker tools which the soldier did not?

What im after is a 93mm alox with the thicker tools  and with the wire striper cut out on the bottle opener.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Re: Thicker tools
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:47:23 PM

Hi
As far as i know the Pioneer Range never had thicker tools, been the same, however the surface has changed and what perople refer to as edgy functions, the oldes Farmer I have is 1961-1965 and surface is with machined and has the cable notch, also a wire/cable scraper...there can be som minor thickness difference in overall thickness on Farmers, i do not mean if you lay them beside since the rivets can be higher....
NM
Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:15:37 PM

Here you have a Pioneer that has the 1957-1961 awl, f. scr.dr with the cable notch.
http://sakfan.blogspot.com/search/label/pioneer
Get more tools

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:18:37 PM
So only the soldier had the thicker 2.7mm tools?

Can you get the pioneer range bottle opener with wire stripper and wire scraper and 90 deg lock?

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:24:25 PM

Hi
Yes, the Pioneer Range led to the development of the 1961 Soldier, and got the thicker function and new awl/reamer.

Also as far as i know the 90 degree or halfstop is or has been on always on the Pioneer Range, Pioneers, Farmers etc.

NM
Get more tools

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 01:58:56 PM
So if i want thicker tools with wire stipper i need to cut the little notch myself in the soldier bottle opener.

Or i go with older pioneer range with the wire stripper notch and the scraper shaved into the inside of the bottle opener

What years pioneer range can i get the un-polished tools with wire scraper and wire stripper? Just the 1980's?

Has anyone got one they will sell? doesn't matter if its a electrician, farmer, pioneer or whatever, just as long as it has the wire scraper and wire stripper. Also the alox colour does'nt matter to me either.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 02:16:41 PM
So if i want thicker tools with wire stipper i need to cut the little notch myself in the soldier bottle opener.

Or i go with older pioneer range with the wire stripper notch and the scraper shaved into the inside of the bottle opener

What years pioneer range can i get the un-polished tools with wire scraper and wire stripper? Just the 1980's?

Has anyone got one they will sell? doesn't matter if its a electrician, farmer, pioneer or whatever, just as long as it has the wire scraper and wire stripper. Also the alox colour does'nt matter to me either.
I do not know the exact date the surface changed, most of the Elinox from 1957-1974 has the unpolished surface,since 1975 new stamping on tang and some changes i guess, prices on Alox today is to high, maybe Felinevet can help you or others here?
Get more tools

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 01:17:49 AM
I have one of the first Pioneers - a 57-61 model with the large awl - and it has 2.2mm tools. Wire scraper, wire stripper, 90 half stop all there.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 04:10:25 AM
Jazzbazz is it brand new? yes i will get onto Feline vet too.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 04:38:50 AM
Jazzbazz is it brand new?

I wish. It's about normal for a 50 yr old alox knife. It has a bail on it, which is why I got it - I haven't seen too many Pioneers with bails.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 09:58:42 AM
Yes, no doubt that Pioneer Range is good quality all the way during history, however i would prefer the most new Alox, they still produce some, Silver Alox for example, i feel that the quality is alittle better today and the price is low and not from Pluto :)
Get more tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD