Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alox fever on eBay?

us Offline Aloxfan

Alox fever on eBay?
on: March 30, 2011, 07:18:28 AM
I ran across an auction for a red alox cadet still going at $41.  What gives, I grabbed mine at Target a while back for $19.  Makes me think I should sell the one I still have in the package.  Also, all the colored Farmers seem to fetch serious money.  I did pay decent coin to score a new red Alox Farmer several months ago, but the price has gone up dramatically.  I wonder if Victorinox realizes that if they started selling the alox stuff in more than just silver, they could move a lot more product.

au Offline Cyclone82

Re: Alox fever on eBay?
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:10 AM
Yeah I don’t know, the ebay prices seem crazy for cadets and farmers. $100 for a farmer is way too much for me but what do you do when no one else has them ???. Every where I try red ones are sold out. Im just wondering what i should be stocking up on now while i can still get them. Its gonna be even harder for someone new to SAK's in 3 years time wants to try and get Alox knives. I don't know why Victorinox doesn't sell coloured alox knives, they would sell by the truckload if they are realistic prices.                                                                         
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:36:18 AM by Cyclone82 »

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:18:42 AM
A couple of years back you could get red and blue Farmers for $20.  Supply and demand :)

As for stocking up, who knows what will be sought after and when.  Maybe we need a SAK with a crystal ball fitted :P

Would Victorinox sell a truckload of coloured alox?  I doubt it.   The reason these fetch the prices they do is an increasing collector base and scarcity.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:28:49 AM
A couple of years back you could get red and blue Farmers for $20.  Supply and demand :)

As for stocking up, who knows what will be sought after and when.  Maybe we need a SAK with a crystal ball fitted :P

Would Victorinox sell a truckload of coloured alox?  I doubt it.   The reason these fetch the prices they do is an increasing collector base and scarcity.
The reason I can EDC a blue farmer is,  a couple years ago, I bought one NIB on ebay for$ 15.  2 days later, another seller had the red,blue,silver farmers nib as a set for $50 BIN.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 11:50:21 AM
Well im sure they would sell plenty of red ones if they made them. I would for sure. Yeah kinda sucks, you can just about forget EDCing a coloured one. I would only if i can find 2 of them. A $100 sak seems too precious to get scuffed up in your pocket.

gb Offline nsa-x-file

• No Life Club
  • In a world of compromise, some don't.
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:57:17 AM

I Agree.
I've only been collecting Alox a few months now.
In that time i've seen some go on eBay for crazy sums when a few people want it.

My opinion is that most are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.
If someone just needs one to complete a set it will inflate the price much more than it's actually worth.
But saying that i've also bought some very cheap on eBay recently.

To start collecting them all now could be expensive for sure but it can be done.
I've just hit the 150 Alox mark in a short space of time.

It's supply and demand with limited runs going to collectors first before anyone else.
The new special runs are all normally around 50pcs.
As the numbers are low the price will be higher than standard runs.
This will only increase over time as they become a rarity.
A good example would be the +B Silver alox First Mate.
When these turn up they can fetch a lot more than the older Red alox model as less were made.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 04:37:02 PM
My boxed ones will be paying emergency bills at some point I suspect!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88