Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

how to mod a wenger swiss army knife?

Offline Cleanser

how to mod a wenger swiss army knife?
on: April 02, 2011, 03:20:53 AM
I've searched on these forums along with online in general for wenger mods.  I have found a few examples but not a lot of info.  Basically my concern is replacing the pins.  I'm very certain I can get them off, but what do I replace them with? and how?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: how to mod a wenger swiss army knife?
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 04:52:43 AM
My understanding is that the 85mm Wengers use a 2.5mm pivot. You can get 2.5mm brass rod stock through Rotokid's shop (among other places).

Might be interesting to see what you come up with. The "other brand" doesn't get a lot of time among the modders here.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 04:53:22 AM
(don't know how I double posted, but I did)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:02:00 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline Cleanser

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:02:25 AM
I'm just wondering if the reason is that wenger is more difficult to mod.  The brass rod would need to be rounded off on both ends (although the wenger scales seem to allow for a margin of error when forming the ends).

My wenger idea is to basically make a Vic Huntsman configuration.  I have between 2 identical sized wenger knives: a large serrated blade, small straight blade, scissors, saw, bottle opener, can opener, awl, and cork screw.  I think this would be ideal because the Huntsman comes with 2 straight blades instead of a serrated and straight blade. Also, my opinion is that wenger scissors are better. Finally, all wenger's current configurations that are similar come with a nail file instead of a small blade.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:04:35 AM by Cleanser »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 10:33:07 AM
Wenger's pretty much go together just as a Vic does, the only real difference is how the scales attach.  With a Vic you get the little bushes that go over the pin ends, with Wenger the scales are attached to the outside liners themselves.  Have a look at this page, it's the best I can find that points out the lugs that the scales clip to:

http://www.e-webtechnologies.com/sak/Wenger_History_Hidden_Rivet_Scale_Attachment_Methods.pdf

These lugs do kinda get in the way when peening, they sit proud of the liner so you have to rest the back of the pin on something without crushing the lugs at the same time.  Hope that makes sense.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Cleanser

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:46:39 AM
Didn't even consider those protruding lugs. 

I guess the best idea I have is:

buy brass nails that are the appropriate size (which effectively means one side is already complete).

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 04:09:50 PM
If you can find brass nails the right diameter then that would be perfect. :tu:  If however you can't, then I'd look at the way I make up my pins in the "how-too" sticky, at least that way you are still only trying to peen one side once the pins are in place. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 04:53:53 PM
Is there a reliable source for replacement Wenger scales?  That's been the biggest hassle for me (I'd like to try a few Wenger mods, but I want to make sure I can "finish" them afterwards)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%