Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mauser question

au Offline Cyclone82

Mauser question
on: April 03, 2011, 10:12:22 AM
Does anyone know how the writing on the Mauser clip point blade is done and is it possible to remove it?

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Mauser question
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:19:47 AM
Not sure how it is done mate  :think: :think:

I have removed laser etching from a LM Pulse using cutting compound & a Dremel's polishing attachment.
I also just today removed a 'CHINA' from a crappy folder's blade, I am trying to make a bit flashy with some high grit wet n dry sand paper (1000 grit) polished up ok with the Dremel + Brasso.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:06:45 PM
I need to have a look how deep it is. it might come off off a scotch brite de-burring wheel or just some fine wet and dry. Its just that i need a clip point blade without that writing on it and i dont know where else i can get one other than from a Mauser.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:41:12 PM
SwissBianco had some custom 108's with that blade you want awhile back. Check with him.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 07:35:41 PM
I have a SwissFlame with a laser etched logo on the butane lighter implement, I'll give it a try with my Dremel and cutting compound... thanks MultiMat :salute:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 05:25:16 AM
Yeah already checked him and he said hes not allowed to sell just blades and doesn't have the time to make any of those 108's rigth now. He said he is extremely busy at least till several months time.

ca Offline pthycrpg

• Tourist Season in the Alps
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 06:27:34 AM
I do not want to be seen pushing one product over the other, but aluminum mag polish works on stainless blades and red plastic scales. I bought a small jar of this brand and I am still using it three years late. It is lot easier for me in a small town to find mag polish than some metal polish sold in a specialty store.

* Mag.JPG (Filesize: 9.28 KB)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 10:26:41 AM
Does anyone know how the writing on the Mauser clip point blade is done and is it possible to remove it?

why do you wont to remove it ? i thought these where pretty rare these days with the walther being the harder to find due to lower amounts made  :think:

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:48 AM
Because i want a clip point blade with no writing so i can replicate the 'Young Hunter' (clip point and corkscrew) If anyone has one to sell me by all means speak up and it may save a Mauser.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:16:56 PM
Have you considered reprofiling a spear blade into a clip?  Take a look here.
- Terry

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 04:32:10 PM
I tried to remove an electro-etched logo from a Promo knife once. I could see the lettering on the blade if held at a certain angle. You would have to remove more metal to get it entirely off.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 04:41:01 PM
I tried to remove an electro-etched logo from a Promo knife once. I could see the lettering on the blade if held at a certain angle. You would have to remove more metal to get it entirely off.

i would go down that route and save the mauser  :D

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 05:12:55 PM
The SB clip points do not appear to be true Mauser blades...the nail nick seems to be in the same location as the standard blades.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:16:47 PM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:58:25 AM
Have you considered reprofiling a spear blade into a clip?  Take a look here.

Good idea but thats beyond me. I would want a professional to do that.

The SB clip points do not appear to be true Mauser blades...the nail nick seems to be in the same location as the standard blades.

Thats not what i wanted to here. Can you post a photo for comparison?

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 02:17:03 AM
The position of the clip-point blade nail nick is closer to the hinge than the spear point...they should not be even with each other.

It looks odd to me in the photo above...unless it is the angle of the camera.  :think:
trade04.jpg
* trade04.jpg (Filesize: 28.25 KB)

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 10:05:54 AM
I have now had a closer look at the Mauser. Im confident I can remove the writing no probs. It is no where near as deep as I thought.

Also on the re-profiling, the cutting edges are the same, that’s what I was not confident about although at some point in time im going to have to learn how to sharpen a SAK. The clip point is just a different shape on the the top edge. That I am capable of doing however there is the nail nick issue. It is further forward on the normal spear point blade so that kills that idea.

Upon closer inspection it almost looks like swiss B has used modified standard blades and turned them into clip points???? Its hard to tell, im not convinced either way.

Can I please see a side on photo of a swiss bianco 3 blade 108mm

* late edit - After studing more photos im 95% sure he has not modified standard blades. I tried running a line through the top of the blade and you just cant get the same length of that angle cut without going though the nail nick.

It also appears that the swiss B specials have etched clip point blades unless this is just a web photo. Can anyone with swiss B specials confirm if they do have etched clip points? if they do i wont do this mod because it wont be a true one with out the etching.

I would still like some serated gutting blades though for something else, not sure who will be a donor for those. Maybe i can modify a non serated blade, but again i really wouldnt want a professional to do the serations, not much point doing it if it cant be replicated to 99.9% accuracy. It almost looks like you good do it with a chainsaw file though.

I wouldn't mind building a 108mm with every 108mm tool. That would be pretty cool and chunky. The 108's are great! saks.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:25:40 AM by Cyclone82 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD