Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New OH Soldier, GAK or OH Trekker?

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
New OH Soldier, GAK or OH Trekker?
on: April 09, 2011, 09:53:55 PM
Ok, here is the deal, I want to buy one of mentioned... But... Wich one??

I know they are basically the same SAK with different scales, but   :think: :think:

Is there anything else that divides OH Soldier from GAK from OHT, details, something... Anything?? :think: :think:

And what do you think about serrations?? It should do general EDC tasks, general cutting, food prep etc... I know that serrated ones are harder to resharp, holds edge longer, and aren't as good with precise cutting, but anything else than that?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: New OH Soldier, GAK or OH Trekker?
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:21:37 PM
OHT has Toothpick and Tweezers.

Serrated blade on Soldier is great, even some precision cuts are great as there is a small straight edge bevel grind towards the tang, perfect for precision cuts if they are short, which they often are.

You could always go for the OHT-BO that has been showing up more in threads.

Personally the DD scales feel much better than the nylon to me.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:25:21 AM
I wouldn't worry about the serrations, they are easier to sharpen than most.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:50:36 AM
Thnx guys. Yes toothpick/tweezers are only on OHT, but is there any build quality or QC difference between them... Do they come out of same production line (I think so) and only scales differs them from another, or there are some QC and build difference due to fact that Soldier is Swiss Army issue, GAK German Army and OHT civillian....

I see prices vary for them, that's what botthers me...

Eventually I'll have them all  :D, but for now....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:05:23 PM
Oh i know what you mean, like are they built to the swiss and german military specifications. I think the military just said what tools they want to Victorinox and they pretty much let victorinox do the rest. I think these days everyone knows what they will get with victorinox and they just know the quality would be good. Its a bit different from the old alox soldiers where up till the late 80's they had that special stamp of approval from the military to mark it passed their approval. There became a point that they thought that was a waste of time as victorinox knives were that damn good that they didn't need the approval stamp.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 01:45:14 PM
Oh i know what you mean, like are they built to the swiss and german military specifications. I think the military just said what tools they want to Victorinox and they pretty much let victorinox do the rest. I think these days everyone knows what they will get with victorinox and they just know the quality would be good. Its a bit different from the old alox soldiers where up till the late 80's they had that special stamp of approval from the military to mark it passed their approval. There became a point that they thought that was a waste of time as victorinox knives were that damn good that they didn't need the approval stamp.

:salute: :tu:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20