Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman plier head & adaptor question

au Offline Cyclone82

Leatherman plier head & adaptor question
on: April 13, 2011, 09:12:01 AM
Are the plier heads dimensionally the same on the Mini Tool as the PST, PST2, Wave and Super Tool?

The reason I ask is that I want to know if either of these tool/bit adaptors will work with a LM Mini Tool?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Leatherman plier head & adaptor question
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:46:15 AM
here is the older adapter on my old MINI

pst

wave no as handles dont go together but still kind of usable at a pinch
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:54:56 AM by Zed »

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:47:47 AM

Which one in my photos is the older one?
The one on blue background was called 'universal' on Multi tool site.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:50:10 AM by Cyclone82 »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:52:41 AM
I think the UTA is the newer version , as far as i can remember the older one has that little bit sticking out  :think:

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:55:38 AM
If you look at my photos the bottom one has 2 holes in the adapator. Is yours like that or the one on the blue background? Would either one work with the Mini Tool? Most sites only say they are for the PST and Wave and not Mini Tool?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 11:00:42 AM
If you look at my photos the bottom one has 2 holes in the adapator. Is yours like that or the one on the blue background? Would either one work with the Mini Tool? Most sites only say they are for the PST and Wave and not Mini Tool?

mine had the holes as was the older adapter the top pic is the UTA that as far as i know fits most LM and other MT's both these adapter work on pst mini ST , but the older one doesnt work on the wave or surge ,

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:27:20 PM
The top one on the blue background is the second generation.
The other one will work on all if you grind away the pin standing up.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline Randyc1974

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 02:39:37 AM
I have the Kick and Supertool 300. I have the adapter that slips over the Phillips screw bit. It works, but is a little sloppy. Has anyone used the Universal tool/bit Adapter above with either/or The Supertool 300 and or the Kick? Before I spend the money, I'd like an opinion. Thanks

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 05:05:17 PM
I have the Kick and Supertool 300. I have the adapter that slips over the Phillips screw bit. It works, but is a little sloppy. Has anyone used the Universal tool/bit Adapter above with either/or The Supertool 300 and or the Kick? Before I spend the money, I'd like an opinion. Thanks

Randy the UTA first pictured in the original post does fit the Kick & Supertool 300. The second adapter pictured has a lug designed to slot into the Sideclip's handle cut out ,does not work on the Kick or the Supertool 300.The lug could be cut off to solve the problem. :think:

When checking the ST300 with the adapter I did see a potential problem. The ST300 stranded wire cutters found at the base of the pliers could be damaged by the UTA. With the handles closed & the adapter in place the stranded wirer cutters can grip the adapter & MIGHT damage the cutters  :think: :think:.
I could take pictures of the 'problem' fit on the weekend if you want mate  :think: :think:

Picture of the stranded wire cutters in action

I reckon the adapter that goes over  the Phillips head is a better option myself , it is more compact & takes both 1/4 inch bits & LM's flat bits  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 12:51:31 PM
Randy,
Has anyone used the Universal tool/bit Adapter above with either/or The Supertool 300 and or the Kick?
Check out my review on the ST300 at:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26804.0.html
The UTA can be used on the ST300 without damaging the wire clippers at the back.
Just do not force the UTA into the clippers jaws.
Stop just before it enters the jaws.

A better way:
push the UTA in just 5mm and close the ST300 completely, but do not tighten so much that you can not slide the UTA in further.
Slide the UTA further until it can go in no further.
Tighten as much as you want, even with a hydraulic jack. Something will break but that will not be the back wire clippers jaws.
I have tested it myself just now prior to this reply. There is enough clearance.

When checking the ST300 with the adapter I did see a potential problem. The ST300 stranded wire cutters found at the base of the pliers could be damaged by the UTA. With the handles closed & the adapter in place the stranded wirer cutters can grip the adapter & MIGHT damage the cutters
MultiMat is correct that it can happen,
BUT, only if you force the UTA into the wire clippers jaws. But you will immediately see your error as the handles will not close completely as it should. If it happens, pull the UTA about 3mm out and then the handles will close completely and you can use the tool.

What really happens:
If the handles of the ST300 is parallel to each other (with a 2mm gap), the UTA can slide in, but the wire clippers jaws are open only 1 mm. To open the jaws of the wire clippers so that the UTA can enter in there, then the handles will be open about 5mm on the jaws side and and about 12mm on the other side.

So you wont ever damage the wire clippers jaws if you are using the UTA and observe before you use brute force (torque) to clip it between the handles.

Bye the way:
The ST300 and the UTA are a formidable combination of power to use 1/4 inch bits with! If you use enough force in the 135º or 90º positions you may strip the bit or the screw head or it will slip out of the screw, bit the Leatherman and the UTA are both stronger. I have used it often enough to say this confidently.

I will post pics if you want.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:07:08 PM by Jors »
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

us Offline Randyc1974

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 01:24:25 PM
This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info on using the adapter with the LM300 Supertool. I was able to locate a Universal Adapter. Since Leatherman has discontinued making the adapter, I feel lucky finding one.
If it doesn't work for me, I'm sure I will be able to sell it easily.

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 08:31:46 PM
Randyc1974,
I think you made a good choice. This tool is anyway much stronger than the type that just slides over the Phillips screw driver.

I see you have made you choice before I could upload the photographs. Here it is anyway. I prepare my post in Word completely and then just copy and paste the whole thing. It was anyway prepared before I read your reply where you said that you have ordered it.

Here you can see the ST300 left, with the handles slightly opened with on the right at A, the tips of the back wire cutters and at B the deepest part of the opening. The difference between A and B is about 4 mm.

Here is the Universal Tool Adapter, wi8th the red arrow indicating the shoulder I will referring to. The Gap width on the right hand side of the arrow in this picture is the exact thickness of all Leatherman multitools’ pliers at the axis point (all tools that can accommodate this tool). The right hand side part of the tool as is in this pic is made out of Stainless  2mm flat or plate.

Here the legs of the ST300 are in the open position, ready to accept the UTA. At A the opening is exactly 2mm, the thickness of the base plate of the UTA. It can now be slided in until it can go in no further and be used by gripping it tightly. At point B you can see the tips of the wire cutter jaws. They are narrower then the 2mm here and the shoulder (as I mentioned in the previous picture) can not go pass there unless you open the jaws or the handles quite a bit more.

In this picture the handles / jaws are opened sufficiently to allow the shoulder to go into the jaws. If you use the UTA in this position you may damage the jaw tips as mentioned. The arrow on the right hand side indicates where the shoulder is in this position. But you can also see that the handles are not gripping the UTA at all, only the two tips are gripping it.

Here you can see that there are some play between the two positions. You will immediately feel that something is wrong because the UTA swivels from left to right and the other way around. You don’t have a proper grip on it.

Here is a proper grip. There is now opening space between the handles and the UTA. The inside corner of the UTA at A is opposite the edge of the multitool at B, about 1mm higher (ST300 – it may differ on other models).

Here you can see the inside corner of the UTA at A is lower than the edge of the ST300, about 3 mm lower.
The handles could not close tight around the UTA because the shoulder went pass the wire cutters jaw tips. And the handles had to opened more to allow the jaws of the cutters to open enough, to allow the UTA to go in there.

Please do not think I am sarcastic, but I like to play with and use my Leatherman tools and this is pure joy for me. I am fortunate her in South Africa, Brackenfell (30 km from Cape Town) in the fact that there are several Leatherman outlets within 3 – 5 km driving distance. I can therefore personally go and inspect a tool before I make my choice. I don’t know if I am wrong but it sounds that some guys can only order by mail.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 04:53:16 AM
Thankyou for the photos. VERY HELPFUL!

us Offline Randyc1974

Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 04:44:32 PM
Thankyou for the photos. VERY HELPFUL!

Plus 1!!!
My Universal Tool Adapter is on the way. I should have it early next week.
Randy

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 05:48:23 PM
Great photos and description Jors!! :tu: :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 06:50:58 PM
I used mine a few times with my st300

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99