Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sog Crazy

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Sog Crazy
on: November 12, 2007, 02:00:30 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone else is going SOG crazy? I notice that I have more SOG's than any other tools in my collections, and since getting a couple of thier knives I think I am in over my head. Right now I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread :P I know some things will never compare to what LM has, but SOG is pretty darn good in it's own right. Got some new sheaths too, SOG switched to a new design which I absolutly dislike (pictures to come) and I prefer the love handle model more. The Powerlock with horizontal carry kicks butt. Anyways, how many others in here are SOG crazy?

David

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Sog Crazy
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:06:20 PM
Hopefully I'll have one to play with soon to see what all the fuss is about :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline cryptrick

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 05:51:16 PM
Hopefully I'll have one to play with soon to see what all the fuss is about :)

What a Global Moderator Mystic Ninja and you haven't got an SOG  :pok:  ;)

Which one you getting, the Powerlock?

Back to the original question, I think SOG tools are very good and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more in the future (actually I will be with the PowerAssist). They do make excellent tools and they are certainly catching up with LM. I don't class myself as SOG crazy but I can see why some people are, they are quality  :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 05:56:35 PM by cryptrick »
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:57:39 PM
He's getting a PowerPlier and eventually a PowerLock to play with.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:22:56 PM
I have to say I was very pleased with my powerlock.  I would definitely buy another SOG (swisstool first  :D)
I'm back!!

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:21:20 AM
I'm SOG crazy! I don't have a lot of stuff by them (because I don't have any money), but my multi-tool and knife buying list, the first five (at least) spots are occupied by SOG.

My SOGs:
Blink
Trident
SEAL Pup
Powerlock (black)
Micro Toolclip (yellow)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:14:55 PM
SOG definitely makes some top shelf stuff.  I've never made any secret of the fact that a SOG knife (the Mini Pentagon) was the absolute sharpest knife I have ever gotten straight out of the box, and it was a dagger too!  For those not familiar with that, daggers as a general rule aren't noted for their sharp edges, mostly for the point as daggers are used primarily for thrusting.  As such, to re-enforce the point, they usually have large cross sections, making an edge less effective for cutting.

So with that working against it, and given that it was the smaller (cheaper) version of the real Pentagon knife, I was very impressed.

As for the tools, well I have 3 PowerLocks, a PowerPlier, a PocketPowerPlier, a ToolClip, a Micro ToolClip, ParaTool, SwitchPlier, CrossGrip, CrossCut... Nuff Said!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 07:52:55 PM

As for the tools, well I have 3 PowerLocks, a PowerPlier, a PocketPowerPlier, a ToolClip, a Micro ToolClip, ParaTool, SwitchPlier, CrossGrip, CrossCut... Nuff Said!

Def

Is that all?  ::) :)
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 09:50:00 PM
So far... unless you count the Kilowatt!

Def

Offline Mike D

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 11:05:29 PM
There is something about these guys tools and knives that I really like. To me they just look and feel different then the rest of the other maufactures in your hand.

SOG's I own now,

Powerlock (v cutter)
Pocket power plier
Paratool
Trident (black TiNi)
Flash 2 (partially serrated)

I absolutely love the assisted opening knives, fast, solid, and light.
I also have some kind of weird obseesion with the Paratool, its really kinda outdated, and the clumsy, funky opening is weird, but I keep carrying it around and get more questions about it then most of my other multi's.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 05:28:41 AM
I don't feel the need to carry any multi other than my Powerlock.  I own a bunch of Leatherman models, a Spirit, Gerbers...something about the "open" construction that's rock solid makes me like the SOG...you can see everything and how it works, which makes it easier to clean, lubricate, dissassemble, etc..

The only "major" tool I don't own is the Swisstool...I'd like to compare that one in the future.
[

Offline Mike D

Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 07:33:48 AM
I agree Corrugated, but I will always be a Leatherman fan first, probably cause the PST was my first Multi, and because they are made here in the state I reside and love. The SOG's also remind me of the early Leatherman tools in their simplicity and design so thats why I choose to carry one about a thrid of the time.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 08:07:02 AM
I just got a Twitch II last week!
[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 02:08:19 AM
Sog crazy...close, I really do like my S60 (took out scissors replaced with V-cutter) and I commend them for letting you switch out tools and having accessories. "Cheers" to SOG!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 02:14:18 AM
Technically speaking, I think the change from scissors to V Cutter makes it an S-62.  I don;t see much point in labeling the various implement configurations in a tool that has user interchangeable implements, but I suppose it makes inventory control a little easier at SOG.

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 02:22:29 AM
Technically speaking, I think the change from scissors to V Cutter makes it an S-62.  I don;t see much point in labeling the various implement configurations in a tool that has user interchangeable implements, but I suppose it makes inventory control a little easier at SOG.

Def

Very true Defender, but the S62 hadn't come out yet or was way expensive because it had just come out! I'm frugal :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 02:25:59 AM
I know that feeling- what are your observations on the V-Cutter?  Any particular reason you switched?

I like the V Cutter myself, but I'd never substitute the scissors for one (on purpose- I do have a factory S62) because I think that it should be illegal to produce a multitool without scissors...

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 02:33:48 AM
I was very disappointed with the scissors, otherwise I would have never replaced them. I couldn't even cut paper properly. Then I heard of the V-Cutter and ordered it as soon as possible. One of the main reasons I got a SOG was the ability to switch out tools easily.
We cut more cord (550 para) mostly and it cuts it beautifully. It's a great tool to have.

<----hopes frugal doesn't mean something else across the pond!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 02:38:21 AM
Pretty certain frugal means the same over here.  At least if it means having a fascination with full figured prostitutes anyway...  :ahhh

Seriously, I don;t find too many problems with the scissors.  I just find them a little awkward to get at with my thumb since the opposite handle is in the way.  Other than that it seems ok.  I can see where the V Cutter would be more useful though.

Def

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 03:41:57 AM
Yeah, I'm SOG crazy.

I have:

Seal Pup
Field Pup
Flash II
Kilowatt

Looking at getting the new PowerAssist multi, and the Vulcan knife next.

Offline Mike D

Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 04:05:51 AM
I know that feeling- what are your observations on the V-Cutter?  Any particular reason you switched?

I like the V Cutter myself, but I'd never substitute the scissors for one (on purpose- I do have a factory S62) because I think that it should be illegal to produce a multitool without scissors...

Def

Its always to amazing to see how different people use and view these tools, any of em for that matter. I personally could care less if any of my multi's have scissors, its way down on the must have list when I buy. I just dont use em, but then someone like my wife uses hers almost everyday, its totally dependent on what you do day to day I suppose.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 04:07:26 AM by Mike D »

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 04:36:22 AM
I have a trade pending for a Switchplier right now, and I have a Topo Meridian in the mail.  :ahhh

I think I'm going 100% SOG crazy, which isn't much more than whatever I was at before.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 08:10:54 PM

Def

Its always to amazing to see how different people use and view these tools, any of em for that matter. I personally could care less if any of my multi's have scissors, its way down on the must have list when I buy. I just dont use em, but then someone like my wife uses hers almost everyday, its totally dependent on what you do day to day I suppose.

I agree.  Infact when I used to look for a good edc multitool, I would always look at ones that didn't have scissors or a saw.  But that's because I have carried a PST for nearly 5 years and never found it lacked them.

I'm not going SOG crazy, I'm going Leatherman crazy.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 09:32:03 PM
The only time that I go SOG crazy is after I use it.  It is my goto tool when I need somthing done.  It works great for anything that i have used it for.  Last night I used it to fix my sink when it suddenly quit when I was washing dishes after dinner last night.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%