Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bomb Scare

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Bomb Scare
on: April 16, 2011, 02:40:29 PM
On Wednesday we had a bomb scare pretty much on my doorstep  :o Sadly these are becoming more and more frequent in my part world. As I had thought this one turned out to be a false alarm. Why would some place a bomb or call a hoax at 9pm on a Wednesday where I live?  :think: I think someone got a bit carried away and called it in  ::)

Anyhoo, they had blocked off part of the road followed quickly by a helicopter circling overhead. I thought there has to be something going on. So I grabbed my camera bag and headed up to the main road. I had literally reached the top when the three vehicles in the first picture raced along and stopped abruptly where I was stood  :o Oh smurf I thought. I didn't do it, it wasn't me  :ahhh

The Police got out of their car and one of the soldiers from the Bomb Squad and started discussing the situation. Totally ignoring me. This is where I learnt my first lesson; always bring your tripod I leaned against a wall and the picture below was the best I got  ::) So I thought I'll nip back down to my house and get my tripod. Just as I got up they drove off  :rant:

They had only gone about 200 yards up the road to where the action was. So I began the walk up. I got up to the Police tape and started snapping. Then a Police Constable [I will hold my tongue  ;)] approached me. I was ready for him knowing that he can't stop me taking pictures, etc. He told me 'I was in the inner security cordon and had to move back to the outer cordon' Fair enough I suppose but my house is in the inner cordon; he had no answer for that  ::)
So I turned and walked back home  :( Every so often I turn to try to get another shot  :D Lesson number two get a longer lens
It was quite exhilerating even if my pics didn't turn out as well as I had hoped  :-\

I'm really annoyed with myself for my crappy pictures. I had a perfect opportunity that no one else had and hoped to send them to the local paper. So much for that  ::)

Apart making sure I bring my tripod what else can I do to ensure decent night photos in future? Especially 'action shots'.

In this photo they were getting the robot out the back; the one like Johnny Five from Short Circuit. What a great shot that could have been  :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Re: Bomb Scare
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:43:54 PM
with a longer lens the photos wont be as bright ;)

all royal mail buildings have bomb boxes :/
I

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:48:23 PM
What's a bomb box Ryan? Is it what it sounds like?

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:03:04 PM
basically an inch thick metal bust bin built into the ground with a net in it placed away from the building the idea is you carefully place the suspect package in it and if it does do off it will direct the blast up and down

the nets missing in most of them and a few have just turned into bins as there haven't been many scares over here lately i guess
I

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:06:54 PM
Got ya now  :tu:

I guess the letter bomb has gone 'out of fashion' now in favour of more 'direct' means  :-\

gb Offline rlocock

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:02:58 PM
There goo shots under the circumstances,but please take care mate.It's starting to look bad again where you are.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:25 PM
Look on the bright side.I lived in Lurgan very briefly in the 80s.3 times in one week the RUC woke us because of suspect milk churns at the supermarket three doors up,every time at about 2am in the middle of frakking December!

On a slightly brighter note I was over home last year from London,and as thing happen we got stopped by a PSNI road block outside Newtownards.The cop was in shirt sleaves,got out of an un armoured car,and wasnt even packing a pistol.On the way to Heathrow,all the bobbys were wearing stab vests and packing H+K MP5s!How times change!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%