Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your favourite SAK tool?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: What's your favourite SAK tool?
Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 04:17:04 AM
It isn't a tool per say, but my favorite part of the SAK is the packaging- it's how they get to me. :)

Honestly... the scissors are what I use the most often, but I think the can opener is probably the most versatile.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 06:53:23 AM
It isn't a tool per say, but my favorite part of the SAK is the packaging- it's how they get to me. :)

Honestly... the scissors are what I use the most often, but I think the can opener is probably the most versatile.

Both are fantastic tools that are really unparalleled.

nz Offline HawkeyX

Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 07:23:19 AM
Rethinking my initial choice (so many of the tools are good), Im not sure if it is my fave, but the tool I use most is the file/flat screwdriver on the classic. I use it all the time to prod and poke at bits and pieces of small things I work on. Its my unsung tool of choice.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 10:02:16 AM
While I like many SAK tools and have found a use for most of them at some point or another, my favourite has to be Vic's Scissors. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 05:05:01 PM
The scissors are the best found on any multitool.  Very precise, and they blow away the competitors.

The phillips that folds out 180 degrees like God intended is also great.  Gives good reach and ergos.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 06:18:00 PM
I am going to exclude the Can Opener,Bottle Opener,Large and Small Blades.To me these are standard and most SAK's...My Favorite addidtion is the In Line Phillips...I know that on many models there is a Phillips on board if one chooses it over a Corkscrew,and that in a Pinch the Can Opener works quite well..but niether as well as an in line Phillips
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline SAKplumber

Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 10:49:31 PM
Recently I found that the crate opener/large flat screwdriver on my '98 model SwissTool saved me a lot of work.  Just so happened to have a 1/2" drive socket next to me & discovered that it fit diagonally. Love my little work saver ;)

gb Offline sousterre1

Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 03:05:06 AM
Recently I found that the crate opener/large flat screwdriver on my '98 model SwissTool saved me a lot of work.  Just so happened to have a 1/2" drive socket next to me & discovered that it fit diagonally. Love my little work saver ;)
:cheers: Welcome to the forum.  :cheers:
All mushrooms are edible, some only once.

cz Offline Rahmed

Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 07:03:45 PM
It depends... sometime it's awl/reamer, sometime something completly different ;)

gr Offline harryf3

Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 09:51:14 PM
My favorite tool is the awl. Close second is the incredible saw.

sk Offline Doctor.Skipper

• Learning is funny!
Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 05:02:39 PM
What surprising: the blade  :D.
My very often tool is the PEN! (I wrote many meetings with itself. I often forget pen in my office on the table, but the SAK knife is must-have item I have to carry on everywhere.  ;)). Secondly the scissors.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:05:16 PM by Doctor.Skipper »
Working Hard - Expecting More
Dr.Skipper (ibu)

Offline Eyegor

Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 03:54:16 AM
I'm also going to cheat a little. The gutting blade/combo tool layer on my 111mm Hunter is the best. The reason I chose the Hunter to replace my Rucksack. If I had to choose only one though, it would be the wood saw. 
T

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 04:02:42 PM
I'm a big fan of the Vic can opener. I've used it as a Phillips screwdriver, chisel, prybar, scraper and probably other things that I can't recall. My memory ain't what it used to be.  :think:

Edited to add: interestingly enough, I've also used it for opening cans.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Randyc1974

Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 12:58:09 AM
After carrying CASE slip joints forever, I recently I started to EDC a Super Tinker. I use the small blade for everyday cutting or opening box type duties.
I also frequently use the large flat blade for daily light duty prying activities.
I'm discovering new uses on an almost daily basis. Now I know what I've been missing being SAK-less for years. :sak:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: June 04, 2011, 03:21:32 AM
After carrying CASE slip joints forever, I recently I started to EDC a Super Tinker. I use the small blade for everyday cutting or opening box type duties.
I also frequently use the large flat blade for daily light duty prying activities.
I'm discovering new uses on an almost daily basis. Now I know what I've been missing being SAK-less for years. :sak:

No man should ever be SAK-less.   :D

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 04:33:10 AM

I'd put that into law if I could - way too many people walking around with no preparedness for the challenges that normal day to day life throws at them.  Far too much of:
"does anyone have a knife"
"does anyone have a pair of scissors"
"does anyone have a screwdriver"
"does anyone have a pair of pliers"
"does anyone have a can opener"

Of course I have all of those things, but that doesn't mean I want some idiot that isn't even smart enough to carry a basic multi-tool to borrow mine & break it!  Everyone should have a SAK in their pocket and a 1 x AAA flashlight on their key ring - at a minimum!  A nice SAK isn't very big, heavy or expensive - why not have one with you at all times? (a Climber 2 is available from Amazon for $15.84)
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #46 on: June 04, 2011, 04:37:41 AM
I agree.  I usually have a redundant system consisting of at least a Leatherman, SAK, and folder.  Sometimes just the LM and SAK, sometimes just the LM, but I always have one of them on me.  I find that when I really need my LM, I often need the SAK too because of a two part problem.  Nothing better than being prepared when a problem drops in your lap.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #47 on: June 04, 2011, 09:28:27 AM

I'd put that into law if I could - way too many people walking around with no preparedness for the challenges that normal day to day life throws at them.  Far too much of:
"does anyone have a knife"
"does anyone have a pair of scissors"
"does anyone have a screwdriver"
"does anyone have a pair of pliers"
"does anyone have a can opener"

Of course I have all of those things, but that doesn't mean I want some idiot that isn't even smart enough to carry a basic multi-tool to borrow mine & break it!  Everyone should have a SAK in their pocket and a 1 x AAA flashlight on their key ring - at a minimum!  A nice SAK isn't very big, heavy or expensive - why not have one with you at all times? (a Climber 2 is available from Amazon for $15.84)

I got a Swisschamp for a mate of mine a few weeks back, and while he was drooling over the shiny gadgetiness of it all he was very sceptical about using/carrying it. I went down to his for a cuppa a few days ago and he spent over half an hour raving about how useful it had been and listing all the jobs he'd done with it without having to go off in search of dedicated tools, and also how well the tools had done the jobs (he's a craftsman and a bit of a perfectionist).

One down, several million to go  :D
(well actually he's my fourth convert - everyone else just looks at me as if my head buttons up the back)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 10:23:42 AM
he's my fourth convert

I haven't converted anyone, but last Xmas I found out that my cousin carries a Victorinox SAK (sapphire scales, not too sure on exact models) that he uses daily (probably the bottle opener mostly) and my sister carries a Victorinox Swisscard in her purse.

If the next couple of days go well then maybe I can afford to give away a few SAKs to try and convert some people myself.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 11:37:20 AM
Wenger serrated main blade, but it is almost impossible to find one here. Still, I LOVR the look of that blade.

My favourite fun tool is the Executive style orange peeler. Needless, but cool.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #50 on: June 04, 2011, 05:54:30 PM

I'd put that into law if I could - way too many people walking around with no preparedness for the challenges that normal day to day life throws at them. 
Yeah but if everybody carried a SAK how would we be heroes to the pretty girls with big chesticles?  :pok:
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #51 on: June 04, 2011, 06:26:48 PM

I'd put that into law if I could - way too many people walking around with no preparedness for the challenges that normal day to day life throws at them. 
Yeah but if everybody carried a SAK how would we be heroes to the pretty girls with big chesticles?  :pok:

I like chesticles.  Tell me more.

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 07:23:21 PM
all of the above??

as it has been said, it is the whole concept of the SAK that sells most ppl, me included.

however, there are 2 things that got me personally:

when my dad came home with a classic. it was the first time I saw a scissor on a pocket knife.

when I was in school, some of the more afortunate kids came with some SAKs, and the wood saw sold me too.

I must agree though, that having screwdrivers handy is a big plus. maybe I should look into a cybertool myself.

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #53 on: June 04, 2011, 11:06:21 PM
maybe I should look into a cybertool myself.

Definitely!  The Cybertool is a great SAK and the bit driver is one of the best things that Victorinox ever came up with.  After 10 & 1/2 years of EDCing mine I've bought a few other SAKs to play with, but I just can't swap my EDC out because no other SAK is as useful to me on a day to day basis.

Mine looks a lot like the picture under my name
<= over there

us Offline hugh_h

Reply #54 on: June 09, 2011, 05:22:01 AM
What surprising: the blade  :D.
My very often tool is the PEN! (I wrote many meetings with itself. I often forget pen in my office on the table, but the SAK knife is must-have item I have to carry on everywhere.  ;)). Secondly the scissors.

My pen never seems to be operational when I need to write something.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 05:41:33 AM
Tough question, so many amazing options, the champ is my favorite though

us Offline SAKplumber

Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 04:16:22 AM

That was supposed to be a 1/4" drive for sockets! 

Since this post I've slipped a 3' Micro Widgey in the side of my belt pouch as I don't want to mess my SwissTool up using it so hard.  Besides, now I can get a prybar with one hand:)

http://www.countycomm.com/titaniumwidgy.html

us Offline SAKplumber

Reply #57 on: November 14, 2011, 04:20:07 AM
I would also add that the wood saw wil cut a piece of PVC pipe quite nicely when a regular saw was left in the truck 8)

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #58 on: November 14, 2011, 09:38:46 AM
1. Knife on Pioneer
2. Combination tool on Wenger
3. 111 mm Wood saw on dual density Forester. (not OHO)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #59 on: November 14, 2011, 06:13:06 PM
At the moment it's the awl on Alox knives, closely followed by scissors on a 58mm.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69