Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Carrying Multiple Multitools 3595

No Life Club Posts: 1,384
Carrying Multiple Multitools
« on: October 25, 2006, 01:47:17 AM »
Excuse the cross-post from edcforums, but I really want to know what you folks think of carrying multiple multitools.

So I'm experimenting with the most efficient use of the screwdriver/plier Leatherman model of EDC.  I'm trying both a Charge/305 combo & a Charge/Spirit combo.  The first giving me a multitool plus a knife/screwdriver combo & the second giving me a multi/multi combo with everything that entails (including adjusting a bolt & nut at the same time).  Both give one-handed access to a blade.  I'm also carrying a Wenger SAK (not sure of model) with blade/nailfile/toothpick/tweezers to give me the nailfile & tweezers that the other multi lacks ( & the toothpick).  I also have a PryBaby Mini in a bag or pocket to save the others from damage.  Any thoughts on this model?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:56:41 AM by Tom Munch »
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 62,503 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Carrying Multiple Multitools
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 01:55:32 AM »
Is this your Wenger?

If so, it's the Esquire, which is Wenger's answer to Victorinox's Classic model, which is the best selling knife of all time.  A little off topic, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

The only multiple tool carry I do is a full sized multi on my belt and a Micra or similar scissor based multi on my keys.  Unless you also consider a SAK to be a multi, in which case I usually have a 3-4 layer SAK like the Victorinox Huntsman, Climber or Explorer or ALOX Soldier variant (like a DAK, Wenger SI etc) in my pocket. 

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 02:11:46 AM »
My Wenger only has the nailfile & blade.  I think it's the Crusader.  It pretty well disappears in a watch pocket.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 02:13:40 AM by Tom Munch »
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 62,503 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 02:14:01 AM »
Cool.  That's a handy little model too.

I find that just a single multi isn't as useful as having both a multi and a SAK.  They compliment eachother perfectly, especially when you have to hold a bolt and unscrew it at the same time.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Formerly known as 665ae No Life Club Posts: 3,380 blah blah blah
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 03:40:30 AM »
Ok... maybe this is a silly question, but, I keep hearing about needing pliers and a screwdriver at the same time.  Why doesn't anyone ever carry a screwdriver?  There's got to be like 9 million different screwdriver designs out there, and I would think there's at least a few that would be good for EDC...

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:50:55 PM »
There are some great little EDC screwdrivers - even with multiple bits.  You think we might be obsessed with carrying only multitools?  Nah!!
Formerly known as 665ae No Life Club Posts: 3,380 blah blah blah
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 07:00:27 PM »
Haha... I keep seeing posts about people carrying SAK's and Multi's, or two multi's.  Heck, I'm guilty of it myself.  I'm just wondering if it would be more useful for some of you to look into a little EDC screwdriver?

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.
Sr. Member Posts: 323
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:33:17 PM »
That seems a little risky depending where you carry it, if you know what I mean ;)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 09:34:30 PM »
Why edc a regular screwdriver when I can carry a SAK or multi that has numerous screwdrivers, pliers, blade, can opener, cuticle pusher, tweezers, bottle opener, woodsaw, toothpick......................................................................?

Def

Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 02:06:22 AM »
.............hasp.............

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »
I added these to my EDC bag.

Photo_102706_005.jpg
* Photo_102706_005.jpg (Filesize: 54.72 KB)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 04:31:29 PM »
Same thing with bit.

Photo_102706_006.jpg
* Photo_102706_006.jpg (Filesize: 56.36 KB)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 04:33:25 PM »
Others
Photo_102706_004.jpg
* Photo_102706_004.jpg (Filesize: 64.53 KB)
Jr. Member Posts: 52 I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 08:48:07 PM »
Im like def and I stick to a multi and sak

Yabba dabba doo!
Hero Member Posts: 789 The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 01:10:46 AM »
I was just rummaging through my old tool bag and I found my SAK OHT, and am going to give it a try.  It fits in my nylon Wave sheath, and it's comfortable as hell, so I am going to give that Sideclip/OHT/Micra a shot and see how it works out.  I'm all excited now, because I've been WANTING to carry my OHT for a while, but never really had a need for it.  Let's see how this works out.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 01:14:16 AM »
The OHT is a really sweet knife.  I am certain it won't be long before you start to wonder how you did without it!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $62.47
PayPal Fees: $4.40
Net Balance: $58.07
Below Goal: $241.93
Site Currency: USD
19%