Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm SAK love

Aloxfan · 1123 · 114281

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Re: 84mm SAK love
Reply #240 on: March 26, 2015, 01:22:13 AM
The 84 is my favorite so far, the Cadet is just so compact and easy to carry and use. Sure it's not the most substantial thing out there, but the blade easily handles all my daily tasks, and looks damn classy doing so.

I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #241 on: March 26, 2015, 01:28:18 AM
I love carrying my Cadet (2) as well.  It is one smart looking SAK.  The upside is I tell myself since it doesn't have scissors I have to carry my swisschamp too  :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:29:42 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Webber2629

Reply #242 on: July 27, 2015, 10:10:31 PM
I see your and raise you a cadet plus scissors (I know you have one too :P):

Mh, fine then. How about a red shield black Cadet with scissors? >:D

(Image removed from quote.)

And how about a set of replacement tools? :angel:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but did you make the pivots, or did you buy them? If you bought them where did you get them? And how well do they work, are they really a bit big? Thanks for you're help, I'm just about to make this mod, and looking at possibly making 2.2mm pivots myself

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #243 on: July 28, 2015, 01:22:58 AM
Definitely love for the 84mm line here!  I've carried my Cadets and Sportsman for quite a while. Though once I found 84Golfers, the Sportsman has taken a back seat for the time being.

As I have begun modding, a Waiter has become an Apprentice, and I'm working myself up to putting scissors on a Cadet.  Just need to keep working on my peening technique.

In the meantime, I've started carrying 91Golfers and a Pioneer.  Still getting used to the larger sizes.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #244 on: July 30, 2015, 06:18:30 PM
I only do 84mm :) All of my 84mm alox:

My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #245 on: July 30, 2015, 07:41:12 PM

Wooow, that's awesome!
The most beautiful 84mm Alox collection I've ever seen here!   :2tu:

Respect!  :salute:
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #246 on: July 30, 2015, 08:10:58 PM

Wooow, that's awesome!
The most beautiful 84mm Alox collection I've ever seen here!   :2tu:

Respect!  :salute:

Wow!!! +1
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #247 on: October 26, 2015, 11:47:18 PM

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #248 on: November 02, 2015, 06:11:12 PM

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #249 on: November 03, 2015, 12:08:49 AM
I love my 84mm Sportsman...it's the ideal size!
Barry

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #250 on: November 04, 2015, 12:49:46 AM
It turns out all this time that the Tinker in the kitchen drawer was an 84mm versus what I thought was a 91mm.  Not exactly the type of guy to go measure his tool.
 :facepalm:

When I got the Ecoline Waiter, then I had something to compare the one in the drawer and it turned out to be an 84mm  :think: :rofl:

Now I'm off to try to fill a silly gap of not having a 91mm SAK.
IMG_1488.JPG
* IMG_1488.JPG (Filesize: 298.34 KB)

Offline ulli

Reply #251 on: November 14, 2015, 05:25:03 PM
old golfer,  nr. 207. This one is 84 mm, i have the same model in 91 mm. I like the nailfile very much. You can use it from both sides.

k-DSC00713.JPG
* k-DSC00713.JPG (Filesize: 202.31 KB)
k-DSC00714.JPG
* k-DSC00714.JPG (Filesize: 195.26 KB)
k-DSC00715.JPG
* k-DSC00715.JPG (Filesize: 191.38 KB)
k-DSC00716.JPG
* k-DSC00716.JPG (Filesize: 197.66 KB)

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #252 on: November 14, 2015, 10:13:02 PM
Wow - nice. I'm not envious of too many people's collections, but I am of yours.  :cheers:

Offline ulli

Reply #253 on: November 15, 2015, 04:16:23 PM
Thanks. I`m envious of many of your knives, especially the Nr. 290. Do you still have it?

My collection is mainly about vintage swiss knives. They are easy to find in europe, there are many old soldiers, officer knives and farmer knives around. But some knives are really rare here, all the models with the philips screwdriver on the back. Does anybody know why? We have a really good company for screwdrivers, pb, Peter Baumann, maybe thats the reason or we changed from philips to torx a long time ago.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #254 on: November 15, 2015, 07:05:34 PM
An 84mm Hoffritz stamped Model 136kmaU ('69-'70) (thanks JB for the ID and info)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:10:38 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #255 on: November 15, 2015, 08:42:43 PM
Thanks. I`m envious of many of your knives, especially the Nr. 290. Do you still have it?
I do indeed.

But some knives are really rare here, all the models with the philips screwdriver on the back. Does anybody know why?

This is from memory and can't find my sources, so do not take this all as gospel. Here is the reason I remember reading:

After WWII, things changed in a big way for Victorinox. While Switzerland was neutral and their infrastructure was largely intact, they were a small country with a small population so they relied on exports in a big way. Problem is, all of their existing export partners (Germany, France, Austria, Italy, UK) were in pretty bad shape after the war. The US was the only major power at the time to come out of the war and not have to spend the next 10 years rebuilding. This coupled with American GIs getting exposed to SAKs in a big way both during the war and after during the whole Marshall plan era meant that there was a big market to be had in exporting to the US. The Americans had the money and the liked the product. Mostly.

Problem was, at the time Americans really didn't drink wine. Not only did they not drink it, but it was really seen as a thing for the elites. The average American honestly had little to do with it. Sure there were some exceptions - my grandfather's family was from Italy and drank wine at every meal. But by and large wine had yet to become common in the US. So the corkscrew wasn't terribly useful and in some ways had sort of a negative connotation to some - remember, most see wine as a "fancy" drink for the wealthy. The common man at the time - most likely descended from some sort of northern European immigrant - really was a beer drinker.

Whether it was Victorinox themselves that decided to introduce the backside Phillips for the US market, or it was the importers (Forschner, Hoffritz) that asked for it I can't say. I do know at the time that American importers had a HUGE amount of influence on European manufacturers and the products they made. The Europeans were desperate to export to the US to keep their companies in business and the importers obviously wanted the products to succeed as it would make them wealthy. Look at Max Hoffman, the European car importer. He said "jump" and Mercedes, Porsche and VW said "how high". The Mercedes 300SL and the Porsche 356 Speedster (two of the greatest cars ever built) were made for the US based on his suggestions.

So we see the Phillips introduced in the late 1940s/early 1950s, at first only on 84mm knives but then later on the 91mm knives as well. Here in the US they are actually pretty common - you only have to look at sales of LNF Champions to see that. Probably 75% of the LNF Champions auctioned on US eBay from pre-1970 are Phillips models. Likewise, about 75% of the ones auctioned in Europe are corkscrew models.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 08:57:11 PM by jazzbass »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #256 on: November 15, 2015, 08:51:15 PM
This place is an unbelievable source of SAKfacts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Thank you!!!!!!
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline murrydan

Reply #257 on: November 15, 2015, 09:36:30 PM
Love these little guys, got a Golfer on the way.

us Offline murrydan

Reply #258 on: November 17, 2015, 02:46:50 AM
Golfer came in today.

Offline EDCRunr

Reply #259 on: November 17, 2015, 03:44:39 AM
Just in today, my latest cadet!
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 114.84 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #260 on: November 17, 2015, 11:09:43 AM
Carrying the Mega84 today
IMG_20151117_095532_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20151117_095532_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 79.28 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #261 on: November 19, 2015, 02:35:08 AM
My favorite 84 is this Scibeer custom.
scibeer84.jpg
* scibeer84.jpg (Filesize: 42.56 KB)
R

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #262 on: November 19, 2015, 04:06:03 AM

did those come with scissors from the factory?

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #263 on: November 30, 2015, 02:33:56 AM
84mm bicolors

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #264 on: December 10, 2015, 03:24:57 PM

nl Offline shenkie

Reply #265 on: December 10, 2015, 03:54:54 PM
I do indeed.

But some knives are really rare here, all the models with the philips screwdriver on the back. Does anybody know why?

This is from memory and can't find my sources, so do not take this all as gospel. Here is the reason I remember reading:

After WWII, things changed in a big way for Victorinox. While Switzerland was neutral and their infrastructure was largely intact, they were a small country with a small population so they relied on exports in a big way. Problem is, all of their existing export partners (Germany, France, Austria, Italy, UK) were in pretty bad shape after the war. The US was the only major power at the time to come out of the war and not have to spend the next 10 years rebuilding. This coupled with American GIs getting exposed to SAKs in a big way both during the war and after during the whole Marshall plan era meant that there was a big market to be had in exporting to the US. The Americans had the money and the liked the product. Mostly.

Problem was, at the time Americans really didn't drink wine. Not only did they not drink it, but it was really seen as a thing for the elites. The average American honestly had little to do with it. Sure there were some exceptions - my grandfather's family was from Italy and drank wine at every meal. But by and large wine had yet to become common in the US. So the corkscrew wasn't terribly useful and in some ways had sort of a negative connotation to some - remember, most see wine as a "fancy" drink for the wealthy. The common man at the time - most likely descended from some sort of northern European immigrant - really was a beer drinker.

Whether it was Victorinox themselves that decided to introduce the backside Phillips for the US market, or it was the importers (Forschner, Hoffritz) that asked for it I can't say. I do know at the time that American importers had a HUGE amount of influence on European manufacturers and the products they made. The Europeans were desperate to export to the US to keep their companies in business and the importers obviously wanted the products to succeed as it would make them wealthy. Look at Max Hoffman, the European car importer. He said "jump" and Mercedes, Porsche and VW said "how high". The Mercedes 300SL and the Porsche 356 Speedster (two of the greatest cars ever built) were made for the US based on his suggestions.

So we see the Phillips introduced in the late 1940s/early 1950s, at first only on 84mm knives but then later on the 91mm knives as well. Here in the US they are actually pretty common - you only have to look at sales of LNF Champions to see that. Probably 75% of the LNF Champions auctioned on US eBay from pre-1970 are Phillips models. Likewise, about 75% of the ones auctioned in Europe are corkscrew models.

Love your stories JB!

us Offline murrydan

Reply #266 on: February 18, 2016, 05:15:18 AM

us Offline murrydan

Reply #267 on: July 17, 2016, 08:07:45 AM
Perfect.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #268 on: July 17, 2016, 01:04:16 PM
I always did love the idea of them but never saw one for sale, let along in good condition and at an affordable price.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #269 on: July 17, 2016, 05:55:10 PM
Perfect.

Nice pick up murraydan...I really like this one!   :gimme:
I also agree with Gareth that these are hard to find in good condition at anything close to a reasonable cost! 
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%