Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My beautiful Aphid is now a manual opener...

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
My beautiful Aphid is now a manual opener...
on: May 01, 2011, 08:34:34 PM
Well, this is a stupid one.  I've got a lovely Benchmade Aphid, the smallest assisted opener in their lineup.  Very nice knife.  Use it a ton.  Anyways, last night I was watching hockey and the knife was sitting on my desk.

Suddenly, *snap*, and the blade pops halfway out.  Guess what?  The torsion bar assist actually snapped, in the knife, and flew across my desk.

I've now got a very lovely manual opening Benchmade Aphid.  Considering how much it'll cost to send it to Benchmade and get it back I'm not even sure it's worthwhile to get fixed.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: My beautiful Aphid is now a manual opener...
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:52:02 PM
OUCH! That's scary!   :sa:
Good job it wsn't in your pocket at the time  :dwts:

Even if you don't send it off, I'd still be tempted to contact Benchmade. That could have been very nasty

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:01:52 PM
Considering how much it'll cost to send it to Benchmade and get it back I'm not even sure it's worthwhile to get fixed.

The Aphid was part of their red class which is now discontinued. Will Benchmade service discontinued models?
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:02:56 AM
Considering how much it'll cost to send it to Benchmade and get it back I'm not even sure it's worthwhile to get fixed.

The Aphid was part of their red class which is now discontinued. Will Benchmade service discontinued models?

The Aphid was moved to the Blue Class and continues to be manufactured.  Talked to Benchmade and they said they'll replace it, but I'd have to ship it there and back.  Not cheap.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:11:16 AM by jekostas »

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:00:43 AM

The Aphid was moved to the Blue Class and continues to be manufactured.  Talked to Benchmade and they said they'll replace it, but I'd have to ship it there and back.  Not cheap.

Wait, I'm confused. BM makes you pay for return shipping? That's not very nice.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%