Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

any help?

us Offline MTlitton

any help?
on: June 05, 2011, 06:02:25 PM
dose any one have any vic knives with the gray lock on the side of them?? if so howes the daployment and lock up
watch your step

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: any help?
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:27:07 PM
These knives are every where. That was the an earlier lock mechanism, currently called the slide-lock.  It's still available on some knives, including the new Cheese Knife that was just released last year.

Testing I guess showed it was maybe not strong enough for rescue workers, and the new liner-lock models are reported to be much stronger.  However for most practical purposes it is fine, I don't do things that abuse or put undo force on the lock, I use the knives as if they have no lock, and am glad the safety feature is there if I make a mistake.

I don't think I've heard of anyone having any real problem with this lock, but it might be harder to keep clean if you use the knife in certain environments.

Give us more information on why you're asking, and your specific usage, and concerns.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
any help?
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:40:08 AM
I have a trekker like that. It seems to work good for me. Although I don't use it for heavy cutting. I leave that to my fixed blade.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline MTlitton

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 04:20:17 PM
i was just thinking back to when i was in boyscouts and i remeber a kid haveing a vic like that that he could deploy realy fast
watch your step

Offline Eyegor

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:41:14 PM
I've used a slide lock since my 1st one in 91 as my EDC. The lock has never failed me. A slight amount of vertical play is normal for these, but otherwise the lockup is good. Even as a lefty, I prefer them over the Vic liner locks. No worries.
T

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 02:54:34 AM
i was just thinking back to when i was in boyscouts and i remeber a kid haveing a vic like that that he could deploy realy fast

Don't know how he could deploy the blade on these very fast, the one-handed linerlock models would be much better for that.  Maybe he had modified the knife, unless you just mean he could deploy the knife, not the blade.

us Offline MTlitton

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:05:22 AM
he might have moded it idk how he got the blade out so fast
watch your step

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 02:39:44 PM
He may have just grabbed/piched the main-blade and then flicked the handle open, that can be pretty quick if you can get a secure hold on at the spine of the blade.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%