Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Learning about knives/knives for a beginner

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Re: Learning about knives/knives for a beginner
Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 03:44:48 AM

What are your thoughts on the Leatherman C series of knives? 

I have several of them, and to put it simply, they are the best inexpensive knives I ever used.

Great starter knife, great everyday beater, great warranty, reliable. Not a Kershaw, but so much more than most of the imported stuff.
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 08:18:56 AM
  On the edge of the blade where the liner lock rests when the blade is open, it is angled very slightly so the liner lock rests exactly on the center of the blade when it's open, rather than going all the way over to the other side of the liner scale and sitting there.  It seems like this makes the liner lock more effective. 

My understanding ??? is that usually liner locks start from resting on the left side of the blade’s back end and as the lock gets worn from use they slowly shift to the right.  This keeps the lock tight, irrespective of how worn it gets; it is a method of self adjustment.

Usually the lock’s end or/and the blade’s end has a slight angle built in, to help with that process.

When they are touching the opposite liner fully then they can not adjust any more and you usually start having up and down blade play.

I have only seen one liner lock knife, a Wenger Ranger, where the liner was touching the opposite liner, from new.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 09:16:05 AM
  On the edge of the blade where the liner lock rests when the blade is open, it is angled very slightly so the liner lock rests exactly on the center of the blade when it's open, rather than going all the way over to the other side of the liner scale and sitting there.  It seems like this makes the liner lock more effective. 

My understanding ??? is that usually liner locks start from resting on the left side of the blade’s back end and as the lock gets worn from use they slowly shift to the right.  This keeps the lock tight, irrespective of how worn it gets; it is a method of self adjustment.

Usually the lock’s end or/and the blade’s end has a slight angle built in, to help with that process.

When they are touching the opposite liner fully then they can not adjust any more and you usually start having up and down blade play.

I have only seen one liner lock knife, a Wenger Ranger, where the liner was touching the opposite liner, from new.

Thanks for the info... I've only had one liner-locking knife before, a Gerber Paraframe, and it was complete trash... almost always failed to keep the blade in place even under light pressure.  I've been very impressed with the liner lock on the Tenacious; I don't think I've ever seen one that works so well.  Regardless, the fact the Tenacious has this in its design just shows how much effort they've put into the design and QC on this knife, making it that much more of a good value.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 10:32:30 AM
Spydercos are generally loved by most!
(I do not care for them much but that is my problem...  :D )

Do not assume that what I said previously is correct; it is just what I understand  ??? happens.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 07:47:40 PM
I have another question.  What are the advantages/disadvantges of plain vs a combo blade?  I realize they are for different use and that some prefer one over the other. 
When In doubt, C4

Offline Cleanser

Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 08:01:07 PM
Combo edge is mostly used to cut through fabric and similarly related materials. That is why combo edges are used on rescue tools.  Plain edge blades are good for slicing, like through wood, the serrations on a combo edge get caught when slicing.  Serrations stay sharp for a longer time because materials do not hit the edges directly and evenly.  Serrations are very difficult and time consuming to sharpen once they get dull.  Plain edge won't stay sharp as long but is much simpler to sharpen. I prefer plain edge.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 08:28:12 PM
Thank you for the reply.  I am thinking that the plain edge knife is best suited for me as well.  :) 
When In doubt, C4

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 01:21:58 AM
...Serrations are very difficult and time consuming to sharpen once they get dull...

Actually with a Leatherman, or Kershaw all it takes is an envelope and some postage.  :D

Seriously though, it is true. Especially for Kershaw, they have always have had a policy of "If you need it sharpened, send it in..."

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 03:51:32 PM
lovenhim, Thank You for starting this thread.  I am also looking for my first dedicated EDC knife and have a lot of questions and have spent time in forums reading about knives.  This thread has been a big help.

Several knives have looked like good choices, but I keep coming back to the Kershaw Blur 1670BLK.   Might have to save my pennies for a little longer and get the 1670S30V.
Tick Magnet

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 04:42:18 PM
You are welcome for this thread.  I have a Kershaw Skyline, Kershaw Leek, and a Spyderco Tenacious on the way.  I think that I have some quality knives on the way.  I am not a collector but rather a user so it is all I think I really need.
When In doubt, C4

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 06:47:18 PM
I'll be interested to see how you feel about the Skyline.  That knife has a lot of fans in the EDC crowd.   I considered the Leek, but the tip of the blade looks a little delicate to me. I am hard on my tools and I wouldn't want to break the tip off of the  knife. 

Does Kershaw cover blade breakage in their warranty?
Tick Magnet

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 07:05:07 PM
There is a fella here named GadgetGuy who sent me the Kershaw Skyline as a gift, and for that I am thankful.  The Kershaw Leek was a gift from my cousin and is used.  My wife bought me the Spyderco Tenacious for my birthday, so that is how I got these knives on my limited income.  I am unsure about Kershaw's knife warranty, I think it is lifetime but I am not sure.  I only have the Leek in my possession right now so it is all I can comment on.  The blade on my Leek is not centered, so it rubs the frame a bit.  Other than that it deploys very fast with the launcher on the back of the knife. 
When In doubt, C4

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 08:32:23 PM

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 08:42:55 PM
Alright knowing that people on here have been helpful to me, well it is my turn.  I know you want your first knife, so here are some pics on my Kershaw Leek with my favorite Multi....the Leatherman Wave.  Here you can see the size difference, thickness, and blade differences.  I hope this helps you as well.

When In doubt, C4

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: May 15, 2011, 11:28:47 PM
I have another question.  What are the advantages/disadvantges of plain vs a combo blade?  I realize they are for different use and that some prefer one over the other.

I despise combo edges... typically their isn't enough of either the plain or serrated part of the blade to really be useful for real cutting tasks that either type of edge is usually best for.  They really are nothing more than a marketing gimmick to sell knives to the uninformed.

That said, I prefer plain edges in pretty much all knives.  Serrated edges are best for tough material like rope, hose, etc.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 09:09:52 AM
As spyderco likes to say
"Steel is the heart of the blade, heat treating is the spirit."

I think the blade steel issue has been discussed at length already so I want to talk about ergonomics.
I mean the way the knife feels when you hold it. I have said before that Spyderco has phenomenal ergonomics and I love it.
Many of the classic knife styles have adequate grips, but nothing special. I would really really suggest that you look at some of Sal's designs on the spyderco line. eg: Manix2, Paramilitary, Military, UKPK, etc.
If you think they are ugly or awakward looking, you NEED to hold one.

You mentioned wanting to rotate your EDC. Just wait till you find the right knife for your hand and purpose, you will not want to rotate anything else :cheers:
I have to force myself not to carry my favorite and even then I miss it when its not with me.

Anyways just remember that its a journey to be enjoyed and not a destination to get to. Have fun with your blades, use them and remember that no matter what anyone else tells you its all about what you like.
(insert witty quote)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD