Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cool SOG you may not have seen....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Cool SOG you may not have seen....
on: October 25, 2006, 03:14:38 AM
These pics were sent to me by a friend who lives on the opposite (pretty!) coast of Canada.  He does some work with the local Ranger detachment, which is pretty cool in and of itself, but he is also a fan of SOG tools becaus ethey are the only ones that offer robertson screwdriver bits as an option.

Most of you (unless you are Canadian!) are wondering what the heck a robertson screw is... well, it's a square headed screw that is very popular here.  This site describes it better than I can:
http://www.robertsonscrew.com/
but here's the basic idea of it.

At any rate, long story short, here's some info and pictures of the Canadian Forces Issue SOG PowerLock.  This is an exerpt from the e-mail he sent:

Check out the Canadian Armed forces website.   http://www.army.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/2/28_e.asp

Here we go

Basic E.O.D. S.O.G. in black.

One handle has

Wood Saw

Combo can opener and small screwdriver bit

Phillips screwdriver bit

and a two sided file.

The other handle has

Warncliff serrated blade

Large flat blade screwdriver bit

Combo bottle opener and medium screwdriver bit

and small knife (no serrations)

The main part is a

Needle nose pliers

Electrical crimper

Wire cutters

and the blasting cap crimper
Picture 043.jpg
* Picture 043.jpg (Filesize: 121.25 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Cool SOG you may not have seen....
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 03:14:59 AM
And another pic...

Def
Picture 045.jpg
* Picture 045.jpg (Filesize: 120.57 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 03:15:16 AM
And another...

Def
Picture 046.jpg
* Picture 046.jpg (Filesize: 113.24 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:16:51 AM
Last One.

Def
Picture 047a.JPG
* Picture 047a.JPG (Filesize: 98.6 KB)

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 08:54:26 PM
that is really cool  O0
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline andre0407

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:24:27 PM
Hello everyone... I am from Singapore and every guy that goes through time in the Army is issued with this:

...And somehow, through my tour of duty I've got these:

So I reckon I'm coolness x4?  :D

Hahaha. Only that they are exactly similar less for one feature, which brings me to

I think that the attachment for a lanyard, but why the discrepancy..? I dunno if SOG actually deliberately added/removed the feature.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:26:56 PM by andre0407 »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 07:05:53 PM
That lanyard ring is a bit of an oddity- it seems to make it onto some SOG models, but not to others.  I think it honestly gets forgotten a lot of the time.

Since you were in the Singapore Army, perhaps you could shed some light on a Victorinox model I have?  You can see the whole story here, but here are the important bits:

Singapore marked Black OHT

This next OHT doesn’t really fit in the same category but I am adding it in as well.  This one came from a SOSAK member in Singapore, and instead of having a unit or branch identifier, this one appears to have been a presentation to a soldier for something.  The scale is engraved with the soldier’s name and “Best Soldier” indicating that Au Yong Boon Chong had managed to perform some duty exceptionally well.  On the back side the opposite scale is marked with his unit info, identifying this soldier as being part of the Singapore Armour Regiment.

Any info about this knife, or the inscription would be of interest!

Def

Offline andre0407

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:36:02 AM
Hmm. I would guess that the engraving is something that is added only after the initial purchase- meaning it's not done by Victorinox. Given the nature of the Singapore Army guys, they are probably too lazy to ask Victorinox if they provides the service anyway. >:D

There's this place in Singapore called Beach Road that sells all kinds and sorts of tactical gears and knifes and tools and whatnot, and my wager would be on that someone brought it to one of the many shops there to simply have the engraving done by a standard engraver.

For the folder itself, it was the SAF's (Singapore Armed Forces) standard issue tool before they give new recruits the SOG.

Oh, and the Best Soldier Award is given every monthly/quarterly/yearly (depending on the unit that person belongs to) to soldiers below the rank of 3rd Sergeant, meaning Recruit, Private, Lance Corporal, Corporal First Class, or Corporal. Haha.

And for some pictures:
Closed:

And open, with 5 tools jutting out and the tweezers and toothpick.

Nothing really fancy. And I stop carrying it when the lack of scissors on the tools really got to me. :D

Hope this helps, Grant. :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 08:26:47 AM
Yes, thank you- I knew it was a local job, not something Victorinox did, but I didn't know that the Best Soldier was something done on a regular basis.  Still, it seems odd that Cpl Au Yong Boon Chong would let something like this one go, unless of course he won many of them!

Def

Offline Magnus

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 10:09:46 AM
Yes, thank you- I knew it was a local job, not something Victorinox did, but I didn't know that the Best Soldier was something done on a regular basis.  Still, it seems odd that Cpl Au Yong Boon Chong would let something like this one go, unless of course he won many of them!

Def

or was kicked out...
[

Offline andre0407

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 02:10:28 PM

Def

or was kicked out...

Haha, Magnus, actually the award is something once- off, not like receiving it puts you in a club or anything like that. :)

And Grant, I would presume that the CPL Au sold it fully voluntarily and happily. The award is recognition to a certain degree... but nothing really prestigious. :/

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 02:14:18 PM
I think my Powerlock on the left is exactly like the one Def posted pics of...  :think:

Offline andre0407

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 03:21:22 PM
I think my Powerlock on the left is exactly like the one Def posted pics of...  :think:

AHB, since I'm the only one to post pictures of my Powerlock in this thread, I would assume you are referring to mine..?
If your Powerlock only came with 7 tools.. then you have the SAF version of the Powerlock, which is the one I have..
Wonder why the SAF gave us an incomplete product.. :/

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 03:25:07 PM

AHB, since I'm the only one to post pictures of my Powerlock in this thread, I would assume you are referring to mine..?
If your Powerlock only came with 7 tools.. then you have the SAF version of the Powerlock, which is the one I have..
Grant posted this in the first post, but i'll go check on my SOG..  ;)

Nope.. Mine's got 9 tools..  :think:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:28:00 PM by AHB »

Offline andre0407

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 03:37:56 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Ah. My apologies.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 03:45:13 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Ah. My apologies.
No need..   :)
BO SOG's are great..  :tu:

Offline silentio

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 04:32:59 AM

Def

hey Def, I actually met Corporal Au when he sold me that tool. It didn't occur to me to ask him why he didn't want to keep it. The best soldier thing was most likely after a reservist exercise. All he told me was that he had no use for it, maybe he needed the money.

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 08:16:29 PM
They also haved used Robertson style screws in some mobile home manufacturing.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 02:12:25 AM
LM bit kits come with Robertson bits as well.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 08:47:06 AM
Grant for somw reason I can't see the pics in your first post and the link doesnt work but while I was in a local gov surplus shop lastweek the guy showed me black pouch which he told me was a Canadian Army issue M16 cleaning kit ans in it was a black oxide Gerber . I didn't take too much notice as I was drooling over the Sog ToolClip  :D

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD