Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Fact File

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Victorinox Fact File
on: May 19, 2011, 12:33:05 AM
Victorinox currently produces 900 models of SAKs and Cutlery with a capacity of 120,000 pcs. per day and up to 16 million pcs. per year.   :climber:
T

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Victorinox Fact File
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:51:35 AM
...but how many of those are directly shipped to Chako?  ???

;)

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:40:55 AM

;)

:rofl:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:43:07 AM
Unfortunately unless they separate out the SAKs from the other cutlery this fact is just not that interesting.  Now they even have to separate Vic marque from Wenger since technically they are owned by the same entity.

Right after we ask them why isn't the file on almost every hook, we can ask them for some useful production information.  I think though they would rather not say because there are enough competative pressures in the industry right now.  You don't really what to say too much.... except... "WE'RE GOING TO SQUASH YOU LIKE A BUG".

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:14:47 AM
I have several 8cm (3 1/4") paring knives & 10cm (4") utility knives in the kitchen that are made by Victorinox - I think they would be my most used sharp kitchen knives (i.e. not butter spreading knives) that I have and they are definitely my favourite.  When you first try one of those you think it feels a little flimsy, but those thin blades sharpen up well and slice like you won't believe.
I find the 8cm blades a little short for some larger vegetable & fruit, but the 10cm ones work really well for most things.  I use them as steak knives too because I prefer a sharp plain edge blade to a serrated edge blade.  I like the way a very sharp plain edge blade cuts bread (buns, rolls & any other bread product) and tomatoes (if it's sharp it slices tomatoes MUCH better than a serrated edge).
The things that I prefer a serrated edge for: ummm, let me think . . . sorry, nothings coming to me.

So I have bought a few of Victorinox's products now and there are none that I dislike, they are all excellent.  Five SAKs, one SwissTool X and several kitchen knives - I'd recommend any of these to anyone!  With up to 16M pcs per year there are enough Victorinox products for us all.  :2tu:
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:00:34 AM
Victorinox currently produces 900 models of SAKs and Cutlery with a capacity of 120,000 pcs. per day and up to 16 million pcs. per year.   :climber:

How do they only make 16 million a year if they can do 120 thousand a day?

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 06:10:13 AM
Mr. Whippy

LOL, very funny

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:35:23 AM

;)
:D :D

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:45:27 AM
How do they only make 16 million a year if they can do 120 thousand a day?

From my understanding they CAN make up to 120 thousand in a day and they actually end up making as much as 16 million in a year, so they are not pushed to full capacity on every working day of the year.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 04:29:58 PM
I have several 8cm (3 1/4") paring knives & 10cm (4") utility knives in the kitchen that are made by Victorinox - I think they would be my most used sharp kitchen knives (i.e. not butter spreading knives) that I have and they are definitely my favourite.  When you first try one of those you think it feels a little flimsy, but those thin blades sharpen up well and slice like you won't believe.
I find the 8cm blades a little short for some larger vegetable & fruit, but the 10cm ones work really well for most things.  I use them as steak knives too because I prefer a sharp plain edge blade to a serrated edge blade.  I like the way a very sharp plain edge blade cuts bread (buns, rolls & any other bread product) and tomatoes (if it's sharp it slices tomatoes MUCH better than a serrated edge).
The things that I prefer a serrated edge for: ummm, let me think . . . sorry, nothings coming to me.

So I have bought a few of Victorinox's products now and there are none that I dislike, they are all excellent.  Five SAKs, one SwissTool X and several kitchen knives - I'd recommend any of these to anyone!  With up to 16M pcs per year there are enough Victorinox products for us all.  :2tu:
I have a few Victorinox Kitched knives as well, my favorite right now is their 10" Chef's knife. hmmm... maybe their ceramic are my favorites.... I just can't have a favorite...

I have their 3 1/4" paring knives in plastic handle and their wharncliff versions (serrated and plain) that are about 3 1/8", and a small 3" paring with wooden handle.  While I like them I find the plain edge needs stobbing or quick pass on sharpmaker quite often to keep it sharp.  I find even the 3 1/4" one just a little short.  I also find the handle a little small and a little too symetrical, it is easy to pick it up and start using upsidedown... it don't cut too good that way.

Luckily for many things I like to use their Santoku style knife rather than paring knife now.  I also LOVE their ceramic sandwich/utility knife which measures 4 3/4", it's become a real goto kitchen knife.

So while I didn't really need it, because I was growing less happy with their 3 1/4" paring knife I recently got a deal on this set, and they are great Kitchen Essentials From Calphalon Forged Set; a lot of knife for the money.  Sometimes you just need more metal, I think that is why I never gave-up my old paring knife when I got the Vics; they just never seemed like the 'do it all type of knife' that a paring knife usually fills.

Victorinox is fantastic value in the kitchen knife market as well, but they have some pretty stiff competition I think.

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 01:22:36 PM
I have their 3 1/4" paring knives in plastic handle and their wharncliff versions (serrated and plain) that are about 3 1/8", and a small 3" paring with wooden handle.  While I like them I find the plain edge needs stobbing or quick pass on sharpmaker quite often to keep it sharp.  I find even the 3 1/4" one just a little short.  I also find the handle a little small and a little too symetrical, it is easy to pick it up and start using upsidedown... it don't cut too good that way.

I agree about the 3 1/4" being too short - the 4" utility knife is a much better length.  The plain edge blades do require regular stropping to keep them nice & sharp, but like most Victorinox blades they sharpen quickly & easily.
The handles are nothing fantastic, but the knife is nice and cheap so it doesn't break the bank to buy a bunch of them - there are heaps of worse knives for similar money.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%