Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Playing with Esteban's Toys

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Playing with Esteban's Toys
on: November 19, 2007, 08:13:18 PM
Being an avid rock climber, our in house technician Esteban was looking for a nice headlamp to keep his hands free.  It seems when climbing a mountain one wants to be able to see, and have their hands free- go figure!

Here's a couple of headlamps that will be headed off to him shortly, the Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp and the Gerber Triode.

Princeton Tec EOS
3xAAA
Single LED (don't know what type)
103.3g (including batteries)

Gerber Triode
1xAAA
three LED's (don't know the type)
59.2g (including batteries)

So far it's obvious that the EOS is much brighter.  I don't have any beamshots as it's daytime, but the three LED's on the Triode don't compare to the light output of the EOS.  The EOS also has four modes, high, medium, low and flashing as opposed to the Triode's 2 modes- high and low.  High on the Triode is not as bright as low on the EOS.

The Triode isn't a write off however- at a little more than half the weight of the EOS the Triode is much easier to forget you have.  Also, the Triode has a spring clip that allows it to be quickly and easily removed from the headband and clipped to a hat brim or any handy stationary object.  And, at about half the cost at www.EDCDepot.com the Triode is certainly well worth investigating.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these, but I'll know for certain after dark.  One thing I can say for sure is that Esteban will be the brightest guy in Argentina very soon! :D

Def

* Headlamps.JPG (Filesize: 52.29 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Playing with Esteban's Toys
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:32:01 PM
I love the EOS.  I have three of them, and they get a lot of use.  The EOS uses a proprietary optic with an R or Q-bin Luxeon III emitter.

I like the brightness of the stock EOS, but I'm not fond of the narrow beam that the optic projects.  Mine have recently been modified with Seoul P4 emitters and Khatod reflectors, easily doubling the efficiency of the unit (brightness and runtime are improved) and widening the beam.  I prefer a wide spill beam in a headlamp, and the Khatod reflectors are a perfect retrofit for the optic.  Two are set up with smooth reflectors, providing a spot & spill beam like on a typical reflectored LED flashlight; and one is set up with a stippled reflector, providing a smooth flood beam.  I  use the flood beam around the house and for reading.  The spot & spill beam is for the woods.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:40:12 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 12:43:43 AM
I was with you until you started speaking Klingon! :D

It sounds like a great project for Esteban when he gets these! 

Have you noticed the weight of the EOS?  It seems to me (at least in comparison to the Triode) that the weight would really be noticeable with extended use.

For those who don't know what 100g works out to, it's approximately three and a half ounces.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:42:02 AM
wow! really nice! thank you! i will put them in use as soon as i get em with some night climbing , or should i say stumbling?

also let me notice that is not fair, everyone is playing wit my toys, francisco just got the package that Def sent me some time ago , and he must be playing with my toys by now :)

Esteban

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 05:24:56 AM
Have you noticed the weight of the EOS?  It seems to me (at least in comparison to the Triode) that the weight would really be noticeable with extended use.

I notice it for about 30 seconds, and then I forget it's on my head.  I've used much heavier headlamps though, some with 4AA battery packs on the back of the head, with a top strap.  The EOS is probably not the best choice weight-wise for backpacking, but I think it's a great all-arounder for just about anything else.  The three widely-spaced power levels seem to always provide the right amount of light for every job.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:27:26 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 03:23:36 AM
well i plan to use it in my next climbing trip, so even if i will be backpacking to the place i think i won't notice the weight since i am carrying a sh!tload of gear too. last one was a 70liter backpack full for a 3 day trekking + climbing.

btw i don't remember if i ever showed the pics here so i take the chance and drop the link to my blog here

http://mcniac.com.ar/

check the second gallery

Cheers
Esteban

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:25:46 AM
so i take the chance and drop the link to my blog here

SPAMMER!  :twak:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:27:13 AM
With a bag that big I'm surprised you can climb at all!

Def

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 03:30:08 AM
i just leaved the pack at the camp site and took some gear , water and some snacks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 03:32:42 AM
That's good- otherwise you'd have pulled the mountain down on top of you!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%