Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

111mm blade lock up

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
111mm blade lock up
on: May 21, 2011, 05:20:13 PM
Hi gang, looking for some reassurance....all, bar one, of my 111mm liner lock SAKs (and I currently, sadly, have 11, which include Centurions, GAK, DAKS, Tekkers, Soldatenmessers, age range from the 1990's to 2010) have some up/down movement when the blade, large screwdriver or belt cutting blade (on the dual pro) are opened. None, apart from this one Trekker, are rock solid like my ALMAR SERE 2000's. I also have a couple of Wenger new Rangers and their blades also give a lot....in fact more than the Victorinox's. This must be a deliberate thing then? :think:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: 111mm blade lock up
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:35:38 PM
Actually, the exception is the one that locks up tight. The vertical play is built in and entirely intentional. These are working knives and not tacticals so they don't need the same tight lockup. The locks are very safe.
T

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:14:48 AM
Nothing to worry about.

As I understand it, the Backspring still holds the blade in place in the 111mm models, not the liner lock, so there is no need for the liner to be pressed against the blade, but from what I've read on here, and my own experiences, the liner lock is still as safe as any.

For what it's worth, the play on mine is pretty much unmeasurable. It'd be less than a thou.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:41:38 PM
I would not say it is built-in, or intentional.  I'd say it's within the specs/tolerances of the design, as the design did not consider absolute tight lockup as a goal.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:12:23 PM
Thanks guys  :). Thinking about it, it's as you say. The backspring holds the blade/driver in place and the linerlock is purely a safety feature and not a 'lock' pur se. Also, having the linerlock slighty loose, means its easier to push out of the way to close the blade/screwdriver.......
Now feel much happier :D
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD