Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Atwood Roid Rench(thick Prybaby), E115 and PocketToolx Piranha: A comparison

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Today, the Atwood Roid Rench arrived. :mail:

This is a beefy tool with the smoothest finish I've ever seen on an Atwood. Maybe someone can explain this further (hint, hint), but this tool is made from CPM 3V tool steel instead of a cutlery steel. Additionally, this tool has been cryogenically treated after hardening for, uh, uhm... even more awesomeness, I guess :think:  (Again, maybe someone can explain the significance of this).  Perhaps these two factors add to the almost glass-like feel to the tool.

For comparison purposes, I'm including an Atwood E115 (Rawbar finish) and a PocketToolX Piranha (and before anyone sez anything, yes I know this is the older version--I wanted to show it without the bit, and this one was quick to grab.  It is also marginally thicker than the new version).

Everyone who saw the PocketTool X for the first time has said the same thing: "Wow, it's much bigger than I thought it would be"  Yes, it is the largest tool in this set.  The big surprise is, the Roid Rench is essentially the same size as the E115 (which is considered a fairly minimal Atwood design).

The wrench sizes on the Atwood and the PocketTool X are very similar and match fairly closely

The Atwood opener doubles as a wrench and is slightly larger than the PocketToolX opener.  Seeing as the PocketTool X opener functions flawlessly, I'll be curious how the Atwood compares long term.  For tonight's brewski, it worked fine.  :D

This next series of photos compares the thicknesses of the tools.  Two things stand out:
1. The PocketTool X is much thinner than the Atwoods
2. The Roid Rench is subjectively thicker than the E115, but not by as much as I would have thought

Top to bottom: Roid Rench, E115, Piranha

Top to bottom: E115, Roid Rench, Piranha

Left to right: Piranha, Roid Rench, E115

Front to back: Piranha, E115, Roid Rench

Due basically to the fact that:
A.  It's smaller
B.  It's newer

The Roid Rench has replaced the PocketTool X Piranha on my farm keychain for the time being.  I love its fiddle factor, but it needs to function as well as the PocketTool X to retain it's spot.  (The new version PocketTool X has been an excellent tool for me, doing everything I've asked of it).

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
3V is a LOT tougher than 154cm or s30v, with that thickness you should have no problem with it. In case you don't know 3v isn't stainless, so you may get some discoloration with use.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
I am not a Atwood fan ,  BUT  those wrench tools have me  :think: :think: :think: :think: :ahhh :ahhh :D :D.

Keen to hear how it performs as a wrench Whip  :pok: :pok: :D :D , the Piranha's extra length would give you a bit more leverage  :think: :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
3V is a LOT tougher than 154cm or s30v, with that thickness you should have no problem with it. In case you don't know 3v isn't stainless, so you may get some discoloration with use.

Great info, as always Jie.   :tu:

I'm off to google cpm 3v...

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Just an update:

I had to replace a starter solenoid on my Rover (No comments from you Bob >:( or you Jie  >:().

After getting the old one out, it turned out I needed the bracket off of it for the new one.  I had to use the Roid Rench to pry it off of the old solenoid.  Definitely a tough piece of steel!

ca Offline jzmtl

Just an update:

I had to replace a starter solenoid on my Rover (No comments from you Bob >:( or you Jie  >:().

Okay okay, I won't say anything.  :rofl:

ca Offline jzmtl

You know I'm surprised by how hard you use these atwoods, I'd venture to say 90% of them go directly into someone's safe and never to see daylight again, and 9% of them may see a staple or two once in a while. Kudos on using them to their potential.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
You know I'm surprised by how hard you use these atwoods, I'd venture to say 90% of them go directly into someone's safe and never to see daylight again, and 9% of them may see a staple or two once in a while. Kudos on using them to their potential.

You know, I've pretty much stopped buying Titanium one-piece tools (except whistles and really fancy anodizing), because it just doesn't hold up to work. It is pleasantly surprising how stout these little guys really are.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Okay sure, it works good on pansy jobs like prying off the rusty old bracket on your Rover ::) but now how about a real test?

Lets see how it performs on the dreaded rotary tiller fill plug!! :ahhh :ahhh :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline umberto00

Look what came in the mail today:

The Atwood Roid Wrench is for me  :drool:, the Pockettool Piranha is for my dad (father's day). I have this really bad habit of selling my Atwoods after a while (used to buy them from Peter way before his stuff got crazy-poplular and impossible to get), hopefully I'll keep on to this one.  Once had the original prybaby, several minis, 2 funnybones, atwrench w/ tiki grinds and a g3 prybaby, but I never owned more than 1 Atwood at a time. Go figure - i like variety
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:40:02 PM by umberto00 »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Look what came in the mail today: (Image removed from quote.)

The Atwood Roid Wrench is for me  :drool:, the Pockettool Piranha is for my dad (father's day). I have this really bad habit of selling my Atwoods after a while (used to buy them from Peter way before his stuff got crazy-poplular and impossible to get), hopefully I'll keep on to this one.

Fantastic!  :cheers:

I like both of these tools.  :)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
I have this really bad habit of selling my Atwoods after a while
Pm me when you get tired of the Roid.. ;) :D

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
Mr Whippy, if I recall correctly, cryogenical treatment, re-aranges the molecules and just make things better. I remember an old "beyond 2000" show, that explained things and a guy that provided the service. Aparenlty, musical instruments performed better, knifes held a better edge for longer time, panty hose did not break that easliy and things like that. The rationale behind it was that when hyper freezing stuff, the atoms stop moving and "fall" into place, rearange themselves in a better, denser position. so, from wikipedia:

A cryogenic treatment is the process of treating workpieces to cryogenic temperatures (i.e. below −190 °C (−310 °F)) to remove residual stresses and improve wear resistance on steels.

The process has a wide range of applications from industrial tooling to improvement of musical signal transmission. Some of the benefits of cryogenic treatment include longer part life, less failure due to cracking, improved thermal properties, better electrical properties including less electrical resistance, reduced coefficient of friction, less creep and walk, improved flatness, and easier machining.

Principle

Liquid nitrogen (LN2) is a commonly used to cool the workpiece, because it boils at −195 °C (−319 °F), therefore the workpiece is cooled to near this temperature. The process is controlled by microprocessors so that thermal shock is not generated at the same time resulting in damage to components. Before these microprocessors were created, people would dip parts in liquid nitrogen and turn them brittle instantaneously.

As the material cools its molecular structure contracts, which relieves residual stresses. This occurs because the low temperatures cause the material to have a low amount of kinetic energy. After heat treatment, steels still have a certain percentage of retained austenite which can be transformed into martensite via cryogenic treatment. Other effects are the production of martensite and the precipitation of eta carbides. All metals including copper and aluminum, not just steel benefit from the residual stress relief that cryogenic treatment promotes

basically, the molecules put themselves in the way they are supposed to be, and thus perform better at keeping the properties of the materials involved, besides, it just sounds cool :)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Mr Whippy, if I recall correctly, cryogenical treatment, re-aranges the molecules and just make things better.

...this definitely is true about beer mugs and gin... :D

I remember an old "beyond 2000" show, that explained things and a guy that provided the service. Aparenlty, musical instruments performed better, knifes held a better edge for longer time, panty hose did not break that easliy and things like that. The rationale behind it was that when hyper freezing stuff, the atoms stop moving and "fall" into place, rearange themselves in a better, denser position. so, from wikipedia:

A cryogenic treatment is the process of treating workpieces to cryogenic temperatures (i.e. below −190 °C (−310 °F)) to remove residual stresses and improve wear resistance on steels.

The process has a wide range of applications from industrial tooling to improvement of musical signal transmission. Some of the benefits of cryogenic treatment include longer part life, less failure due to cracking, improved thermal properties, better electrical properties including less electrical resistance, reduced coefficient of friction, less creep and walk, improved flatness, and easier machining.

Principle

Liquid nitrogen (LN2) is a commonly used to cool the workpiece, because it boils at −195 °C (−319 °F), therefore the workpiece is cooled to near this temperature. The process is controlled by microprocessors so that thermal shock is not generated at the same time resulting in damage to components. Before these microprocessors were created, people would dip parts in liquid nitrogen and turn them brittle instantaneously.

As the material cools its molecular structure contracts, which relieves residual stresses. This occurs because the low temperatures cause the material to have a low amount of kinetic energy. After heat treatment, steels still have a certain percentage of retained austenite which can be transformed into martensite via cryogenic treatment. Other effects are the production of martensite and the precipitation of eta carbides. All metals including copper and aluminum, not just steel benefit from the residual stress relief that cryogenic treatment promotes

basically, the molecules put themselves in the way they are supposed to be, and thus perform better at keeping the properties of the materials involved, besides, it just sounds cool :)

Very interesting!  Makes sense too.  Thanks for the info.

:cheers:

Offline umberto00

I have this really bad habit of selling my Atwoods after a while
Pm me when you get tired of the Roid.. ;) :D

Ha! I'll keep that in mind... Might be willing to trade for a Funnybone if you have one

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%