Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a laptop

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Looking for a laptop
on: November 20, 2007, 04:49:14 PM
I want to keep it under $500 (the more under $500 the better!) and I'd like to get at least a 1.5g proc, 15" monitor, bare minimum of 512mb RAM (although a gig would be preferable) DVD burner and a (minimum) 40gig hard drive.  Oh, and it has to have built in wireless.  Bluetooth is a benefit, but not necessary.

I am looking at a refurbed Everex NC1502 which seems to have what I want, but it also says it runs Vista, which as far as I am concerned is throwing good system resources out the window, and if I get it, I'll probably install XP on it instead.  Anyone have any experience with this one?  Or any Everex products?  I have never heard of them until now.

If there are any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Looking for a laptop
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 10:34:38 PM
...but it also says it runs Vista, which as far as I am concerned is throwing good system resources out the window...

I know nothing about Everex, but I agree with the statement above 100%.  You need 1GB MINIMUM to run Vista, IMHO.

I just bought my first computer with Vista (for my mom), and I made sure the performance was there for that resource HOG (AMD 64 X2 5000+, 3GB 800Mhz dual-channel RAM).

I have a lightly used Dell that has the exact specs you mention above.  Email me and maybe we can work something out.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 11:01:13 PM
Email sendimified.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:47:32 PM
Well, that didn't work out...  :(

Anyone else?
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:03:59 PM
I like the instant on feature of many of the UMPC's, but that's is just too much money to spend on something I am just going to break.   :-[

I also think that 1gig is the minimum needed to run XP properly, and it'll be a long time before I upgrade to Vista.  I like XP and it does everything I need.  I don't need to lose more system resources to an OS.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 03:50:08 PM
Anyone familiar with the Dell Vostro models?  The 1000 seems to fit what I am looking for and it's brand new as opposed to the nice refurb models I was looking at.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:44:55 PM
I also think that 1gig is the minimum needed to run XP properly, and it'll be a long time before I upgrade to Vista.

I don't have any problems with running XP on 512MB on my laptop.  I tend to be very anal about controlling background processes though, and only run very few that I need like antivirus.

I am familiar with the Vostros, and I don't have and have not read any complaints about them.  There have been some VERY nice deals on the Vostros recently, and I'm sure there will be more of them to come between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 05:49:18 PM
Adobe programs like Photoshop and especially Elements like to use lots of RAM.  I don;t like to run unnecessary programs in the background either, and I ran XP with 512mb for a long time, but since I moved up to 1g (both desktops at 1.5g now) I have decided I'd never drop below that again. 

I don't do much intensive photo or video editing, but I do some for reviews and articles and I feel much more comfortable with at least 1g in the machine at all times.  After all, I already have a laptop that can't do what I want it to, why would I get another?

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 07:36:30 PM
Ah...  Yeah, I don't use my laptop for video editing.  1GB or more for sure.  You'd probably want 2GB or more for Vista.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 09:39:27 PM
I doubt I will do much video editing with it, but I'd like the option.  And, I won't get Vista....

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 03:15:29 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I ordered a laptop.  It's a new Dell Vostro 1000 with pretty well everything I wanted, and not too much fancy schmancy stuff:

AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition or Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
1GB system memory
120GB hard drive
15.4" widescreen XGA display
8X DVD+/-RW

I ordered it with XP Home and it worked out to just under $550 with shipping which wasn't too bad.  This will be my first dual core proc, and I'll probably add some memory in the new year- I think it'll support 2g, so I expect this one will last me a good while... unless I break it which is entirely possible!   :oops:

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 03:28:59 PM
Glad to hear you are getting what you needed.  :)

The wait is the worst part. :mail:
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 03:32:50 PM
Tell me about it- I ordered it from the US rather than from Canada because of the better exchange rate right now, which means it'll take at least two weeks to get here instead of the two or three days it would take in Canada.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 03:35:48 PM
Sounds like a good deal for the specs.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 03:46:06 PM
That's what I thought- some of the other units I was looking at were in the same price range but were refurbished models.  I think I prefer something new, especially since it doesn't cost too much!  15.4" screen seems a little small (I have a 22" widescreen on my main machine and 19" LCD on my second computer) but I'm sure I'll manage.  Also, from the reviews I've read it isn't great for gaming, but then I don't really plan to do much gaming on it, so I don't imagine that will be a big deal.

If I do install any games, it'll likely be something like Starcraft or Galactic Battlegrounds, which are older games and I am certain the laptop can handle that.  Hell, my old laptop can handle that much!  It should be a nice upgrade from my Toshiba Satellite 460 with it's astounding 96mb RAM, 166mhz proc and mind numbing 2g HD! :D

Def

Offline cryptrick

Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 04:58:05 PM
Thats sounds a great little lappy you've ordered there Def  :). $550, thats like £225... bargain if you ask me. 1GB memory will do you fine in XP and those Dual Core Athlons are nippy, I've got one on my PC. Also think you've done the right thing sticking with XP. Vista can be a nightmare to sort out some problems with at the moment because its quite new and buggy. XP still has SP3 to bring out yet so you're definitely doing no harm in going with XP. You might get some crap software preinstalled on your laptop like Norton trials and AOL or whatever. First thing I'd do is uninstall the preinstalled stuff you don't need, knock off a couple of startup items and that thing will be running super quick  :D
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 05:07:19 PM
Yeah- that's pretty well what I'd planned.  I hate all that bundled crap they include with a new PC.  That's one of the reasons I have never bought a "canned" PC before.

I forgot to add, in addition to the memory and HD upgrades this one also has the 53 hour battery, which also beats my old one, which has about 17 minutes of runtime!

I am kind of tempted to start running Linux on my old laptop just to experiment since it really isn't much good for anything else.  I think the CD drive is fubar in it though. :(

Def

Offline cryptrick

Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 05:17:10 PM
Yeah- that's pretty well what I'd planned.  I hate all that bundled crap they include with a new PC.  That's one of the reasons I have never bought a "canned" PC before.

I forgot to add, in addition to the memory and HD upgrades this one also has the 53 hour battery, which also beats my old one, which has about 17 minutes of runtime!

I am kind of tempted to start running Linux on my old laptop just to experiment since it really isn't much good for anything else.  I think the CD drive is fubar in it though. :(

Def

Sounds like that old laptop is on its last legs  ;)  Old laptops are notoriously bad for dodgy/kaput batteries.

Going back to your new laptop... This tool should be handy for you http://pcdecrapifier.com/home
"The PC Decrapifier is a program designed to remove or uninstall a specific list unwanted software in an unattended fashion. It can be used to clean off most of the annoying software that is typically shipped with newer PCs."

I've never used it before, but it is supposed to be very good from the reviews I've read.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 05:19:13 PM
I agree with you on the XP and Vista front.  I use XP and have never had any problems, but the wife has problems nearly daily with hers.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 05:30:41 PM
I am certain Vista is a better operating system, but like XP was when it first came out, it is just too much for current equipment to harness.  In a couple of years I'll probably upgrade and enjoy it, but for now I am content with XP.  I also don't relish having to replace all my older equipment again like I had to do when I upgraded to XP- for the longest time I ran one machine with XP and one with 98SE or ME so I could use my 6 disc CD changer, scanner, racing wheel etc.

Thanks for the link to that utility- I'll definitely check it out.

Def

Offline kreskin13

Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 10:55:46 PM
Guy's trust me, get a Mac! I switched over about a year ago and wanted to kill myself after so many frustrating years with PC's. Mac's are much more compatible with PC's than you think. i still own a very nice Dell I have at home along with a 19" MacBook Pro & a Mac Pro desktop with a 30" monitor! Beautiful machines.

I use both Mac and PC every day and there is no comparison. After I got my first Mac I wanted to (and still do) smash every PC with a hammer! :twak:

Calvin 
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 10:58:42 PM
I'm still at that stage...

I'm also still waiting for the new laptop to show up.   >:(

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 01:23:30 AM
I have steam coming out of my ears now.

I just heard from the dealer I bought the computer from and it turns out that it may be sent out as early as tomorrow!   >:(

I thought it would be here late last week and now I find out the thing hasn't left yet.

We are not amused....

Def

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 04:05:37 AM
ok, i contained myself enought  time, windows vista stinks! really bad, here a comparision video on cool 3d desktop effect that you'll never use anyway but are cool to have at hand

yeah Def! install linux on that notebook!

Esteban

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 04:13:27 AM
I'd install Linux on my old one but the CD drive is dead.

I have another PC that I have to finish rebuilding... maybe I'll try Linux on that one....  probably not, but I may think about it!

Def

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 04:23:25 AM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 04:30:19 AM
Thank you for that!

Same question I asked about the Mac... can I network with a Windows machine to share files?  I will probably always run Windows machine so anything else I have will have to play nicely with it.

I know Vista is bad, which is why I chose this laptop- they gave me the choice of Vista or XP... no one else is doing that at the moment.  Everyone else is only installing Vista.

Def

Offline kreskin13

Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 11:26:02 AM
Thank you for that!

Same question I asked about the Mac... can I network with a Windows machine to share files?  I will probably always run Windows machine so anything else I have will have to play nicely with it.

I know Vista is bad, which is why I chose this laptop- they gave me the choice of Vista or XP... no one else is doing that at the moment.  Everyone else is only installing Vista.

Def

The best description I've heard about Vista is that it is a poor version of a 5 year old Mac operating system! :D

Calvin
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 01:42:46 PM

Def

Dell offers Vista or XP on their laptops.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 02:23:22 PM
Yup- I got a Dell.

I don't think they offer it on all their models, do they?  I thought the Inspirons were all Vista nowadays?

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%