Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Goodbye pocketknives!!

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Goodbye pocketknives!!
on: September 07, 2006, 04:24:07 AM
Hey guys.  I have decided that I am no longer going to carry a pocket knife, be it a Case or Sak, or whatever.  The reason for this is that with my Wave on my belt, and my Micra on my keychain, I have EVERYTHING I need on a daily basis.  One handed opening, locking blades, plain edge knife, serrated knife, saw, file, tweezers, pliers, scissors, screw drivers, both phillips head and flat head, in a variaty of sizes, can opener, bottle cap opener.... all the things I need at work or just while I'm out and about I have covered.  Like Defender, who is always looking for the perfect Multitool, I'm always looking for the perfect pocketknife, and to be honest with ya, it's friggin driving me CRAZY!!!  lol.  Well, for my needs, I have already found it in the combo of my Wave and Micra.  My Wave is with me everyday on my belt, no matter what pants I'm wearing, and when not wearing a belt, my Micra is always on my keychain, and my keys are ALWAYS with me.  So GOODBYE Saks.  GOODBYE Case.  Your time is up.  Time to be an exclusive Multiholic!!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 04:26:02 AM by Navajero316 »

Offline colubrid

Re: Goodbye pocketknives!!
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 04:33:54 AM
I don't know if I would take it that far. I am new to mutitools and have been into knifes for as long as I can remember. I do not carry my spydercos and Bucks for now. They are pleasantly sitting on a shelve above my bed.  I still carry some SAKs, especially the soldier.

I guess time has a way of increasing ones interests back to the old. Time will tell. I think I will get the Buck or spyderco back into action again. But for now i am going to have to get every cool multitool ever made and carry them for a long time before i go back. woooooHoooohaaaa~ :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 11:41:27 AM
Originally Tim Leatherman created the PST to compliment the SAK.  The story goes that he was touring Europe and had repeated car trouble due to a faulty hose clamp.  He carried a SAK, but the problem was that he needed both pliers and a screwdriver to tighten it properly.  Personally, I like to keep that combo alive, although it isn't always a Leatherman on my belt, but I almost always have a SAK and multitool for just that reason.
However, if you feel that the Wave and Micra are what fits your needs, then congratulations!  I'll let you know when I find my "perfect" multi...
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Perfectionist

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 07:26:39 PM
Totally with ya - I used to edc a Spyderco but since not getting a LM Charge ! :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 11:38:38 PM
I still have a few pocket knives, and a decent sized collection of SAKs, but many of the SAKs are collector's pieces or don't exactly fit the bill of what I like in an EDC.  The few tactical knives I have left sit in a drawer and don't do much.  None of these will replace a good fixed blade in the woods, so I will never let my Puma White Hunter go.

I need to get myself another Grohmann though... great knives and very inexpensive.  They also offer them in kit form, and I've been thinking of getting a kit knife soon... hmmm....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 05:26:55 PM
I don't think I can get rid of all my pocket knives yet.To me a multitool is a great set of tools but the knives are usually not so great so I carry a SAK or endura
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline Kapt Kopter

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 02:30:12 AM
They would have to pry my Case/Queen Schrade,Camillus,Buck or SAK out of my dead hands before I ever give up on carrying knives!!

Kap
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 02:39:26 AM
Wow, you gots lotsa handses...

Def

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 03:43:52 AM
Ok, so I couldn't stay away from pocketknives, and am back to carrying one.  It's the Buck Cadet.  Man, what a neat little knife!!  I LOVE the fact that it has threee springs, so all the knives open and close individually.  No bent blade so they fit, no rubbing or grinding of blades.  It walks, it talks, and it seems pretty well made.  Might not be worth a damn as far as collecting, but as a user, it friggin kicks some major butt. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 03:49:14 AM
Ok, so I couldn't stay away from pocketknives, and am back to carrying one.......

Well by my calculations Navajero316, you kicked the pocketknife habit for a grand total of 33 days. Congratulations, you held out longer than we thought you would!!  :D

(So Def, who won the pool?)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 05:09:21 AM
LOL.  The POOL?  You're kidding, right?!  LOL.  No, with this bunch, you're probably not.   ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 12:03:22 PM
According to my records, I think Fred wins with the highest guess of 8 days... :P

Def

Offline colubrid

Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 06:55:46 AM
I should win this by my first reply to this post...

I guess time has a way of increasing ones interests back to the old. Time will tell.

tick tick tick tick..

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 01:45:54 AM
what did I win?
Yabba dabba doo!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 01:57:01 AM
1 year free membership in Bob's new organization, Schnauzer's Annonomous.

Def

Offline PWork

Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 03:43:11 AM
I'll never give up my SAKs. ;D

Offline Luke_C

• New User
Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 04:36:57 AM
I'll never give up my SAKs. ;D

Ditto.  IMHO, they're the perfect pair!

Luke

Offline jmm1974

Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 02:50:03 AM
even though i edc 2 multi tools most days (lm charge and surge) i still carry a folding blade knife for general cutting duty.
i would rather tear up the blade on a 19 dollar folder (kershaw vapor 2) than an 80-90 dollar multi tool any day.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 12:08:44 PM
Usually it's the other way around!  Many folks on the other knife forums think the multi is there to be beaten to save the knives!

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 02:07:04 AM
I started a new thread related to this - Carrying Multiple Multitools http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=276.msg2990#msg2990.  There are so many variables to cover with an EDC kit that it's hard to cover all the bases.

Most weeks I need the following tools:

One-handed knife
Pliers & screwdriver combo
Two pliers combo for a bolt & nut (or two wrenches)
Flashlight
Pen
Reading glasses (you'll need them someday too)
Fine screwdrivers
Hex & Star drivers
Prybar
Can & bottle opener
Scissors
File
Nailfile
Tweezers
Toothpick
Emergency cutter (saw or serrated)
Awl
Wire stripper
Large-jaw wrench or plier
Locking pliers
Ruler
Knife sharpener
Hammer
Magnet
Mirror

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 02:12:15 AM
I think you are better equipped than many military forces!

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 02:16:19 AM
I think you are better equipped than many military forces!

Def

I don't carry all those.  I'm just saying that's what I need for tools in the average week.  That list is the starting point for choosing what to carry in a multitool & an EDC kit for me.  Most of my work is in my home where I have all my regular tools right in the garage outside my office.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 02:20:03 AM
That's ok... years ago when I started working some heavy duty security contracts I carried that much and more!  I could lose 30 pounds just by taking my duty belt off!
Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%