Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Redemption for the swisstool.

SoDak · 19 · 2616

Offline SoDak

Redemption for the swisstool.
on: November 21, 2007, 02:16:27 AM
         To start things off, I'm in the very small camp of people who don't care much for swisstools, however that might change. Go back to last weekend when I was helping clean up my family's yard for winter. I had to put away the garden hoses and one of them was split. Well since one of the ends was a replacement piece I fugred to take it off and attach it to the other piece to make one good(though short) hose. Out comes my core's philips screwdriver. It got out the first screw all right, but the other one was rusted in and wouldn't budge, instead the philips kept hopping out. Well the screw could also fit a flathead, so otu comes the medium flathead. Have you ever noticed how the screws for most outdoor stuff are very soft? Not in this case. The flathead slipped out and got chipped some in the process(not bad, but doesn't look good). Needless to say I was dissapointed with what happened.
          Fastfoward to tonight. After thinking about what happened I figured that maybe it was time to look at another tool after what happened to my core. Well I decided to give my swisstool another chance. So out to the garage I went to see if the swisstool could do any better. I tried the philips first, and failed miserably. Next the large flathead, failure again. Finally I used the other accesory the came with my swisstool, the bit wrench. Pop in a philips head, and whaddaya know, the screw came out.
         Because of this outcome I decided to give my swisstool a second shot. As you may have noticed, mine is the plus model, which makes the sheath a bit wider. But I feel the the bit wrench is worth it for difficult screws(which is why I had got the plus in the first place). So I'm going to try the swisstool for a week and decide if I miss anything on my core. Well, wish me luck. ;)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Redemption for the swisstool.
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 02:20:13 AM
I doubt you will find too many around here that won't support giving the SwissTool a shot!  It's a very good quality, well equipped tool that is really a joy to own and use.  And, with the bit set added it's certainly the most full featured tool on the planet!

Best of luck and make sure you keep us informed!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:21:58 AM
SoDak I am sure you will love the swisstool,  I have a CS Plus and it's utility is unmatched by anything else I own. It's there when I need it, and would never give it up for anything else.

David

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:24:34 AM
I think the statement you just posted is false! The core has like the best screwdrivers out of any multi I have come across. And two the swisstool drivrs would slip more because of the highly polished nature.
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:29:17 AM
He mentioned the screwdrivers in the bit kit, not the ones on the SwissTool.  They are not polished.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline SoDak

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 02:30:39 AM
I've had this swisstool for over a year. Heck I got it not long after my core. I used it for a while and for some reason I quit carry it. I have a vague recollection of the wider swisstool plus pouch catching on chairs but that might of been when I used a gerber pouch to carry a visegrip(really I'd get out of a folding chair and the gerber pouch would catch of the chair's back).
Leatherman123, I wasn't caying the swisstool's screwdrivers gripped better than the core's(quite the opposite) what I did say was that the bit wrench that came with it can except 1/4" screwdriver bit which honestly do a better job than most multitools.

Edited to add: Def, you and me tried to post this right at the same time. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 02:32:14 AM
Great minds think alike... I wonder what our excuse is? :P

Def

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 02:32:37 AM
Oh, im sorry. There was a misunderstanding! SoDak- Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
B

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 04:09:10 AM
I just ordered the Plus kit & Plus with ratchet for my Spirits for that very reason you just stated - the bits do a better job than the screwdrivers on most multi's.  I wish there was a built-in bit driver on the Spirit & SwissTool.

Tom

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 04:51:55 AM

Def
I've heard the expresion that "Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ." Not that I'm sugesting anything. :D ;) :)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 09:08:45 AM

Def
I've heard the expresion that "Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ." Not that I'm sugesting anything. :D ;) :)
:D :DGood one mate :)

Yeah give the Swiss tool a second go, I'm sure it'll work out for you this time around :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 01:37:11 PM
I just ordered the Plus kit & Plus with ratchet for my Spirits for that very reason you just stated - the bits do a better job than the screwdrivers on most multi's.  I wish there was a built-in bit driver on the Spirit & SwissTool.

Tom

The small ratchet that comes with some of the Plus sets is fantastic.  I'd recommend it for pretty well any job- it's tougher than it looks and the design is ingenious.  I agree, it would be nice to have something like that built into the tool as was originally designed on the SwissTool, but since you need to have a bigger sheath for the extra bits anyway, having a separate gizmo allows you to use it in conjunction with the pliers or other screwdrivers.  I like the idea of a build in, but when I think about it, it makes much more sense as a standalone piece.

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 12:22:30 AM
Got in the ratchet & also the wrench with a black Spirit.  The ratchet IS very nice.  The only downside I can see so far is that Phillips bits slide through when pushed on hard as J-sews pointed out in an earlier thread.  I also find it hard to get the bits out of the carrier if you don't have matte-finished bits.  I put a couple polished ones in & had to pull them out with the Spirit.

Looks like I'll be reconfiguring my EDC for the first time in several months to incorporate the bits & either the wrench or the ratchet.  Of course I also got the bit kit for my LM Charge & Kick, so I'm a little overwhelmed with choices right now - a good thing.  ;)

Offline SoDak

Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 02:19:40 PM
Got in the ratchet & also the wrench with a black Spirit.  The ratchet IS very nice.  The only downside I can see so far is that Phillips bits slide through when pushed on hard as J-sews pointed out in an earlier thread.  I also find it hard to get the bits out of the carrier if you don't have matte-finished bits.  I put a couple polished ones in & had to pull them out with the Spirit.

At least your extra screwdriver bits stay in. The two phillips I added to mine sometimes will fall out of the bit holder on gravity alone.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 03:53:00 PM
I feel I'm hijacking this thread, but I wanted to report that my black Spirit I talked about just receiving has the first real defect I've ever seen in a SwissTool.  It turns out that the tools don't match up to the backsprings in one handle, so when I open the Phillips it moves the backspring next to it as well & I get the screwdriver "clumping" open with the Phillips driver.  The screwdriver/can opener also binds against the backspring next to its own backspring & has much more resistance than normal.  I've emailed Tim Meeker about it, & I imagine he will make it right.

Tom

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 03:57:32 PM
I'd be tempted to keep that one as one of the very rare Victorinox messups!

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 04:17:12 PM
Def,

If it was a run-of-the-mill Spirit I would, but this is something special.  If you want it I'll save it for you & get another.

Tom

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 04:48:07 PM
PM me with your terms and I'll see what I can arrange.  Don't worry either way- if you return it to Tim I can just get it from him later on! :P

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 04:56:36 PM
such wonderful camaraderie (wipes eye)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86