Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Ranger Needs Fixed

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Vic Ranger Needs Fixed
on: May 30, 2011, 04:19:57 PM
Well guys and gals, my poor Ranger needs fixed.  It has no snap and very little tension left in almost all of the tools.  I've taken the scales off, soaked it, scrubbed it, blasted it with canned air and it just isn't recovering.  So what I need to know is where to send it and/or who to contact.  I'm in the US so can I send it somewhere over here or is it headed to overseas?  This SAK was a birthday present from 6 months ago so I'm really bummed that it needs repaired.  Other than my stupid ex brother in law dropping it in the dirt, it has seen regular but relatively light/medium use.  I just really want it working.  So, what do I do?  Thanks.  I'm really kind of upset about this. 
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Vic Ranger Needs Fixed
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:36:34 PM
Just check online. There is a US based repair of sak. Sorry to hear of your issues. 6 months old and broke. Ouch. Maybe we can help you out hear.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Vic Ranger Needs Fixed
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:02:12 PM
That seems very unusual.  Did you lubricate a pivot or two after cleaning and work it in?  The lubricant can also help any grime flow out.  Since it's affecting all tools though it must be something with the liners or the spring has really gone...  how it the tension on the spring when the tools are open?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 05:07:43 PM
Ok, so an update about what the problem is...a few more specifics.  No pins or springs are cracked that I can see.  I'd have to take it apart to look at every individual part and well that's not gonna happen because I don't have the stuff I'd need to put it back together. 
On the backside of the tool there is a corkscrew, chisel, jewelers screwdriver, hook and awl...when those are in the half open position, the tools on the top side have perfect snap and tension.  When the backside tools are closed or fully open the topside tools except for the big blade have no snap and no tension when closing. 
When the top side tools are in half open positions, the back side tools have snap and tension.  When closed or fully open, backside tools have no snap and very little tension. 
So I'm guessing there's some kind of issue with the springs on the backside of the tool.  If there is a way for me to fix it, I'd love to know but I've never even taken one of these apart let alone anything else. 
So, there ya go.  That's the problem.  :)  Thanks, guys.
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:15:11 PM
That seems very unusual.  Did you lubricate a pivot or two after cleaning and work it in?  The lubricant can also help any grime flow out.  Since it's affecting all tools though it must be something with the liners or the spring has really gone...  how it the tension on the spring when the tools are open?
Yep, I've lubed up everything and cleaned it.  Added to what i said before, the corkscrew/main blade are fine.  It's the rest of them that are all dodgy.  :) Tension when the tools are half open are is fine, but opening fully they don't snap into place or closing they don't snap into place.  does that make sense?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 05:22:06 PM
Is it possible for folks in the U.S. to send a Vic to Switzerland for repair?   :think:

I have now sent two SAKs to the US repair center, and both have come back the same as they left (weak/no snap, other issues), it looks like the only thing that was done was to sharpen the main blades.

It would stink if you also send your knife off only to have it come back the same as you sent it in.  :-\
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 05:30:47 PM
Is it possible for folks in the U.S. to send a Vic to Switzerland for repair?   :think:

I have now sent two SAKs to the US repair center, and both have come back the same as they left (weak/no snap, other issues), it looks like the only thing that was done was to sharpen the main blades.

It would stink if you also send your knife off only to have it come back the same as you sent it in.  :-\
That's why I asked you guys.  I want some info about customer service before I send it.  If I just need to get a new one and sell this one to someone who can fix it or wants to use it for modding I can do that, I just want to know if they will fix it.  I have no idea what could have caused the issue.  Like I said before it has seen regular light/medium use.  It was a birthday gift, but aside from that it's got some sentimental value.  I realize it's a pretty available model, but a lot of thought went in to getting this for me for a gift and I hate that I might have to go buy a new one.  Know what I mean? 

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 05:34:37 PM
Yep, I know what you mean.

Hopefully someone in the know will chime in.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 07:10:34 PM
It's hard to say without having it in my hands but it sounds like the middle pin (where the back tools are mounted) is either bent or broken. :-\  It would certainly explain why moving the back tools adds snap to the main tools.  I've never had this happen to any SAK I own, nor can I remember hearing about it either, but it's always possible I suppose.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Vic Ranger Needs Fixed
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:42:02 PM
It's hard to say without having it in my hands but it sounds like the middle pin (where the back tools are mounted) is either bent or broken. :-  It would certainly explain why moving the back tools adds snap to the main tools.  I've never had this happen to any SAK I own, nor can I remember hearing about it either, but it's always possible I suppose.

I agree. The middle pin assists the spring tension. 

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:33:14 AM
Amici,
I did read a few years ago that folks from all over were still sending their SAKs for repair back to Ibach Switzerland, and how the Swiss post would deliver them to the factory. 

I would try with a quick "e" to Victorinox detailing the problem about the middle pin being the possible culporate and see how they respond.

If not you can always pick up another Ranger for about $30.00 despite the sentimental value.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 12:14:11 PM
I'm wondering if the middle pin has become detached from the liner on the opener side.  Shouldn't happen obviously but if there was a peening problem at the factory perhaps when it was dropped it could have dislodged it :think:  I don't think I've ever seen a pin in a SAK actually snapped, liners split yes (which could cause the same symptoms) but only on decades old knives.

All conjecture though as you're going to need to send it to Vic. for repair whatever :(
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Vic Ranger Needs Fixed
Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 02:37:51 PM
One other thought. You could have someone here fix it for you. there are plenty of modders that could Check it out and repair it for you.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%