Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My mind on safest VICs

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
My mind on safest VICs
on: February 24, 2010, 03:50:53 PM
Hi

Thought i should share alittle on my eyes for safest Victorinox knives, i choose the 111mm range with liner-lock since they are
some of the strongest knives Ibach got.
many times it is hard to decide what knife to have in your car or backpack.
The RescueTool represents for me some of the milestones in safety knives of the world and this is so well known that i instead point myself on the
models with beltcutter, mainblade and wood saws.
On an average scale if in a city or on the country in the army or similar the ultimate SAK can be the versions with these functions mentioned.
Not so many to find really, many will say that i have hung myself up in the beltcutter and the wavy edges  ::)
Today when knives is made for the army or services the word "when every seconds count" is a key rule that is why the Oh blades with locks...
So we see knives today with blade shapes that for people look strange and out of a design that can be looked upon as a fashion made knife.
"Look on the knife" beltcutter is curved in a way that it does not have a point that can hurt you or others stuck in belts, also remember when every second count that only the new Dual Pro has a lock so it does not fold on your hand and also with Oh.
A ordinary plain egde can cut almost anything if you got time so it can be a controversy with a wavy/serrated edge at all but there i do not agree. Shapes of blades and the waves has a important deal to say on many materials.
So this is why i will not trust a knife that only has a beltcutter shape and no second blades, so to the mainblade also with waves 2/3 and 1/3 oridnary in a chizel shape. The revers curve or belly does not cut as good as the beltcutter but if you use it in a sawing motion you can also lay some pressure with the other hand on the blade so you can cut ropes or other materials faster.
The 1/3 part is best on wood since the momentum is there. The drawback for people is the sharpening that takes much more time then again it stays sharper longer. For a ordinary civilian a standard edge is enough i am just saying that when every seconds count.
The Oh Fireman would be the best Victorinox ever if it had a Oh beltcutter with Lock, so if i should look on the models without a saw and when you know that there is no need for that then the  new Dual Pro is enourmous. If you are in a cayak or canoe this can be helpful most will say that a fixed blade is the safest this can depend on if you have it in a sheat or just in your pocket, the point is to know where it is at all times ;)and you can do repairs on gear aswell.. with the functions we love so much :tu:

P.S found a picture one of the ulimate safest Victorinox, the Oh Fireman
NM

54868.jpg
* 54868.jpg (Filesize: 63.32 KB)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:02:52 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

us Offline django.cj

Re: My mind on safest VICs
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:01:42 PM
I really don't like carrying blades without locks. I've had so many near misses... I rarely carry a non locking SAK anymore. My OH Trekker and Fireman get the most carry.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:19:29 PM
Thanks for thoughts mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Kmarr

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:38:26 PM
I have had some bad experiences with non-locking blades. I wish Vic made liner locks for their 91mm models(awl and chisel locks would be nice too). I considered a workchamp for the locking blade but to me it's just too bulky for an edc. 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:39:06 PM
I have had some bad experiences with non-locking blades. I wish Vic made liner locks for their 91mm models(awl and chisel locks would be nice too). I considered a workchamp for the locking blade but to me it's just too bulky for an edc. 
Quite a few 85mm Sak's have locks now :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 08:35:11 AM
Hi
Thanks mates,

Here is a http://www.123hjemmeside.no/Victorinox/27369069 to a little test i did with the standard Fireman that is in english,
No OH this one still it is a hall of fame Victorinox.
pictureCA183O6B.jpg
* pictureCA183O6B.jpg (Filesize: 105.94 KB)
picture.jpg
* picture.jpg (Filesize: 41.28 KB)
Get more tools

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:22:48 PM
Hi
Thanks mates,

Here is a http://www.123hjemmeside.no/Victorinox/27369069 to a little test i did with the standard Fireman that is in english,
No OH this one still it is a hall of fame Victorinox.

thats a cool test thanks for sharing  :tu:

paul

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:42:12 AM
Hi again

I have had the Dual Pro for alittle over two weeks,  looking on this i am sure the headline of this topic is made for this (safest that is no saw on this :),
This is the new generation of knives from Victorinox for sure....
Dual Pro 0.8371.MWC.JPG
* Dual Pro 0.8371.MWC.JPG (Filesize: 45.27 KB)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:44:51 AM by North Man »
Get more tools

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 03:08:55 PM
The Dual-Pro is a great knife.

I'm hoping the new Wenger Titanium line starts to produce new locking knives in 85mm size with normal blades.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 04:20:23 PM

hope so too!
Get more tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30