Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How good is the Spirit file?

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
How good is the Spirit file?
on: June 15, 2011, 09:03:02 AM
Superb is the answer, and so good I thought it deserved a thread of it's own. I recently fitted a set of rear door handles to my ancient VW Golf. Being pattern parts the job required slight enlargement of the handle cutouts in the outer door skins. Although I had a set of "better" files in the shed I thought I'd use the Spirit's file. It ate the job and removed metal as if it was butter  :D The Spirit is an amazing tool and that file is something else  :cheers:
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How good is the Spirit file?
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:11:30 PM
nice story! :tu:

it is an aggressive file and I use it for harder jobs rather then my other MT files.

watch them fingernails :ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:54:12 PM
It is indeed a cracker.  I was using mine today to help fit a lock spindle in a door. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:19:56 AM
There are many tasks that require a good file and of all the tools found on SAKs & MTs the file is really the only one to use on the job - therefore it amazes me that so many SAKs lack a file.  I bought a Ranger to get a file on a SAK, but most of the time I carry a Cybertool 34 (no file) but also a SwissTool so that I have a file on hand (as well as some other useful tools).  I'm a computer tech and I've had a sticking power button - dismantle switch, grind a little plastic off the button, button now slides in & out as smooth as silk.  When you want to grind a little wood/plastic/metal off to make something fit, that's when you are glad to have a file on your MT or SAK.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 10:16:41 AM
everything on the spirit is good.
I even like the name!
Quality Control
Materials
Design

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:24:36 PM
There are many tasks that require a good file and of all the tools found on SAKs & MTs the file is really the only one to use on the job - therefore it amazes me that so many SAKs lack a file.  I bought a Ranger to get a file on a SAK, but most of the time I carry a Cybertool 34 (no file) but also a SwissTool so that I have a file on hand (as well as some other useful tools).  I'm a computer tech and I've had a sticking power button - dismantle switch, grind a little plastic off the button, button now slides in & out as smooth as silk.  When you want to grind a little wood/plastic/metal off to make something fit, that's when you are glad to have a file on your MT or SAK.
it's a very good point.  The only smaller (current model) SAK I can think of with a file is the Mountaineer.  In fact I made up a Clipper just to act as a companion to carry alongside any MT that lacks a file of it own.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:44:33 PM
Yes there has been a lot of praise for the latest Victorinox files that are stainless steel.  This really improved the SAK file and made it best-of-class like many of the other SAK tools.

I wish some of my nice Swiss Champs had the new file, but only a very few do.  The old file is nice for some jobs as well.  I think it's time for a SAK that has the last revision of the old file, and the new SS file. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%