Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hey MT.o, show us your tool mishaps ! Pictures please !

Phrea · 42 · 3261

nl Offline Phrea

We've all been there, so, show us your knife mishaps ! 

Here's mine, it happened the day before yesterday. I went to the ER the next day [it happened at night] and only got 3 stitches [which was a bit of a disappointment, if you have to get stitches anyway, more would make it seem cooler].
How: well, I was busy doing a bit of whittling -and as a not very smart man sometimes- I cut towards myself, in stead of away from myself.

Please make them links using the URL tags, and not the IMG tags, so that when one opens this thread one won't immediately be greeted by [I hope] all kinds of gore, stitches, stab wounds and other self inflicted knife related injuries ! 

We can all laugh about our stupidity in hindsight, so let's see 'em ! :) 

EDIT: edited the title from MTO to MT.o [not sure what the preferred usage is]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:51:41 PM by Phrea »

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Re: Hey MT.o, show us your tool mishaps ! Pictures please !
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 02:25:34 PM
No pix of any tool mishaps but I do like your pic.  :tu:
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:41:24 PM
A camera surely is last thing I think about when I'm injured, so I can't be of any help here...

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:31:37 PM
Haven't experience any mishap yet. Perhaps later.

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 08:36:58 PM
I've never stopped to take pictures when I've managed to draw blood, but then I haven't really done much of that since I started carrying a camera in my phone full time...

One memorable instance (sorry, no pic) was one time I was using my Pulse to cut a bunch of old phone wiring to pull new cable. Since there was so much of it in a bunch, I was cutting rather aggressively - and managed to get my knuckle in between the jaws during a cut. I ripped a good amount of skin off the knuckle and it began to bleed immediately.  :ahhh
There were no medical supplies at hand, but there was... duct tape! I taped up my finger, uttered a few choice words of the four-letter variety, and went back to cutting wires.   :multi:

nl Offline Phrea

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:44:48 AM
3 stitches

I can't believe you guys have no pictures of stupidity ! 

Because I'm too lazy to go to my GP to let him take them out, I'll take them out myself.  :multi: 

YAY for the super sharp Victorinox scissors ! 
I'll let you guys know how it went. 
I don't foresee any problems. But if I run into a problem, you'll be the first to know !   

EDIT: don't be shy.
I KNOW you made a few mistakes. Including you [*points to you*, yes you], you [you too, yes, I am talking to you, I did not forget], you [don't look away, I saw it happen], and even you [yes you, as young as you were. You weren't even supposed to play with a knife].
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:25:36 AM by Phrea »

ca Offline Black Rose

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 07:37:05 PM
I can't believe you guys have no pictures of stupidity ! 
After harpooning myself with a SAK blade (and not initially realizing it), taking a photo was the last thing on my mind (where the smurf did all this blood come from was)....

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 12:38:24 AM
I took a lump out of my right thumb a few weeks back. :-\

I'm left handed and was pulling at a part in a dishwasher, the pliers slipped and I swiped the plier's tips across the back of my right thumb making a nice ragged wound.  Taking a pic wasn't the the first thing that came to mind I've got to say, I was more interested in sticking my thumb in my mouth and making muffled curses. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 04:43:32 AM

wave pinched the **** out of me the other night.  Shoulda used a ratchet buy too lazy to come down off the lift. :rant:
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 01:46:39 PM
Yow!! That looks like it might hurt a bit Jason :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 01:55:25 PM
Here's one of me from a few years back. I got bit by a SwissTool while opening up a new desk for my daughter. :-[

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Pacu

Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 03:13:20 PM
Yow!! That looks like it might hurt a bit Jason :P

couple of years ago i let one of my co-workers borrow the same wave. A few minutes later he returned it to me....with a huge blood blister in the same place i got bit.

I also use knipex diagonal cutters every few minutes at work...once when cutting a ziptie i got the end of my finger in their somehow...nothing like a cutting crushing swipe to ruin your night. needed stitches but duct tape works good too :D

nl Offline Phrea

Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 09:52:16 PM
Here's one of me from a few years back. I got bit by a SwissTool while opening up a new desk for my daughter. :-[

Picture

Yay !!
Pictures of fresh wounds are the best !

And Pacu, man, that gasping wound should've killed you, you're so lucky to be alive. ;)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 11:14:54 AM
weird thread bro.   Nice slice you took outta your hand though.  I'm usually so mad at myself for slipping that I don't remember to take a pic.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 03:17:05 PM

Picture

Yay !!

And Pacu, man, that gasping wound should've killed you, you're so lucky to be alive. ;)

yea..evil gangrene set in not long after i took that pic. I had to use my micra to remove that hand. I had a chainsaw handy i attached to where my hand was. Comes in handy when working at S-mart. Shop smart..shop S-mart

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 03:15:27 AM

Picture

Yay !!

yea..evil gangrene set in not long after i took that pic. I had to use my micra to remove that hand. I had a chainsaw handy i attached to where my hand was. Comes in handy when working at S-mart. Shop smart..shop S-mart

Bummer. :( Seems like a chainsaw hand would make going to the restroom a might tricky :-\

:D

us Offline Pacu

Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 04:21:44 PM
My name is Ash and I am a slave. As far as I can figure, the year is thirteen hundred A.D and I'm being dragged to my death. It wasn't always like this, I had a real life, once. A job.

>:D :D

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 07:18:30 PM
I was cleaning my Skeletool this morning when the tip of the knife caught my finger  :o Because it was more of a stab than a cut it did hurt a bit. No pics though  :-\

When I was taking pics of my Leatherman Pulse in preparation for a trade the bloody thing bit me  :rant:

Damn it was sharp  :tu:

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af203/cerbera147/S1052845.jpg

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af203/cerbera147/S1052849.jpg

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 02:14:09 AM
I was a little smurfed last night and closed my sideclip knife on my right thumb.  I took some pics but seeing as I am right handed (and I was drunk) they came out too blurry to see anything but a lot of blood.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 02:29:03 AM
Last year trying to insert a homemade steel carving blade, into the homemade wooden
handle, resulted in a slip, and a very clean, painless, but somewhat time consuming
aftermath with a trip to the E.R and a Tetanus shot etc.
Failed attempt.JPG
* Failed attempt.JPG (Filesize: 49.9 KB)

nl Offline Phrea

Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 02:59:49 AM
I was a little smurfed last night and closed my sideclip knife on my right thumb.  I took some pics but seeing as I am right handed (and I was drunk) they came out too blurry to see anything but a lot of blood.

Yea, we need to see those blurry drunk pictures of the wound/blood. :D 

Last year trying to insert a homemade steel carving blade, into the homemade wooden
handle, resulted in a slip, and a very clean, painless, but somewhat time consuming
aftermath with a trip to the E.R and a Tetanus shot etc.

Very nice story, but I want some pictures to go with the story !! :D 

If you have no pictures, then please describe the mishap in great detail, so we can imagine what happened ! :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:05:48 AM by Phrea »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 03:30:33 AM

Yea, we need to see those blurry drunk pictures of the wound/blood. :D 

Here you go!  Best one I have, the others are just blurry.  You can't tell, but the thumbnail is what stopped the blade, it's that deep.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:32:22 AM by Mercury »
Sean

nl Offline Phrea

Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 07:03:50 AM
Sean, I love the picture you added !! 4 stitches no less !!  :cheers: 

Mercury: wow, that one must have hurt !! I can't imagine cutting to/into a thumbnail.  :ahhh

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 09:10:27 AM
Sean, I love the picture you added !! 4 stitches no less !!  :cheers: 

Mercury: wow, that one must have hurt !! I can't imagine cutting to/into a thumbnail.  :ahhh

Yea, it hurt alright.  But at least I should have a pretty neat scar afterwards!  It is a very clean cut(I keep my stuff SHARP), but the placement will cause it to heal askew, so that the edge of my thumbnail will look pretty weird for a while.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 05:22:06 AM
Yow! :P

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 06:05:20 AM
Bob you'll appreciate this one.  It happened years ago in the machine shop I worked in, and a CNC Mill is technically a multitool since it has many tools and does lots of (smurfing awesome) things.  No pics, sorry.

I was using a big Cincinatti mill, milling a set of explosive-proof conduit boxes for a european client, and the first operation was a set of shell mills.  The first was a roughing mill that came down and chewed a monster amount of metal off the uneven casting (probably .150 at the thickest, the inserts did NOT last long), and the second came and cleaned it up to a pretty smooth finish that I would polish while the machine was finishing another box.  anyhoo, the nature of shell mills caused them to leave a nice wide burr hanging off the edges of the whole box, which was about 7 x 5.  For those that don't know, most if not all CNC operations(especially heavy cutters like flycutters and shellmills) use automated oil based coolant to keep the tool from overheating.  This coolant is slick and covers EVERYTHING, so when I pulled a box out of the fixture it slipped and as I caught it, that sharp ass burr all the way around sliced into each and every finger I have.  It caught meat on every finger and left me with a bloody mess.  This happened about 7:45am, so I had 7 hours to go before I got off so I went all day with a couple of bandaged hands and the whole shop laughing because they had all done the same thing in the past.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 07:51:11 PM
the other day i was machining some studs, taking off about 50 fathoms at a time  >:D the manager of the site came along to see what i was up too, bit of red hot swarf flew in his shirt pocket as he bent over...

heheheh

curses were spoken
I

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team

nl Offline Phrea

Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 01:31:26 AM
Bob you'll appreciate this one.  [...]

Ok, I'll be Bob from now on. :D 
As graphic as your story is, I really want to see some pictures, even years after, of your [faint] scars. :D
In this thread we love anything from hardly visible scars to extreme gore ! :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 05:32:51 AM
alas, there are no scars to be had.  I heal remarkably well and this incident was nearly 5 years ago.  BTW J-Sews is Bob, that's his name.  He's a machinist too, hence the reference.  I am not still machining, but I sure wish I was. 

Here is a pic of my 3 day old thumb wound.  Mind you this cut through a good chunk of my thumb and I am already out of the band aid phase, it just has to close completely now.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%