Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any satellite radio nuts out there?

Offline kreskin13

Any satellite radio nuts out there?
on: December 10, 2007, 09:28:22 PM
I am a certified satellite radio nut, both XM & Sirius.

I have 5 XM activated radios and 2 Sirius, with antennae set-ups at home, in the car and at work (5 at work alone).

My favorite stations are on XM, 072 modern jazz, 202 Ron & Fez show, 165 Gary Sullivan (home fix-it show) and the blues channel. XM 051 Music Lab (progressive rock) was my favorite, but now it is internet only. >:( :cry: :(

For Sirius it's 017 Jam Bands, 032 the new Grateful Dead channel (RIP Jerry) and 128 Nascar and of course more jazz & blues. :D :drool:

I record stuff on my 2 MyFI's (mainly Ron & Fez) to listen to during my commute.

Calvin

[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Any satellite radio nuts out there?
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 09:31:37 PM
I keep meaning to look into the services and maybe get one, but I just don't listen to the radio enough to make it worthwhile.  I also don't much care for the monthly (or yearly) fee thing either, although I imagine no commercials is nice.

Maybe if it included satellite 'net access I'd get into it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:42:59 PM
i held off for almost 2 years because of the fees but i love so many diverse types of music that I could no longer hold out.

Another great thing about satellite radio is you can travel great distances and listen to the same station the whole way with no fade out.

Funny thing is I held out for 2 years because I didn't want to pay, at the time, $10 a month. I am so hooked that I now pay about $60 per month for 7 radios between XM & Sirius! :o :o :o

Calvin
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:28:37 PM
I like the idea, but I don't travel as much as I used to so that's not as big a selling point for me nowadays.  Plus, my car stereo has a USB port and SD card slot in addition to the CD drive so I can carry several hours of music with me in a flash drive, my mp3 player or on a memory card.  I have extremely varied tastes as well- my personal mp3 list includes everything from Jack Dimello to Cannibal Corpse. Paul Anka to Pantera.  I also like a lot of obscure stuff that you almost never hear on the radio.

My folks have XM (I think it's XM) but then they are about 250kms away from the closest radio station so they don't have many options.

And, I have about 75 digital music stations through my TV service, and I never pay much attention to that either....   :-[

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:34:42 PM
I have Sirius in my truck, I am very fond of it!
B

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 04:32:33 AM
My wife has had an XM radio in her car for about a year now and we really like it.   There is a shockingly huge variety of stations you can receive and it seems like new channels appear each month.

Once you subscribe, you can listen to some of the XM channels via the web after logging in, but they were only the music channels when last I checked.    XM music channel audio is also broadcast on DirecTV.  Wish I could listen to all the XM channels via the Internet because I like the talk channels, too.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 04:44:41 AM
Cannibal Corpse

:ahhh

I love music, but I'd never pay to hear it on the RADIO...that's what my CD player, MP3s, and my PC are for.  I can fit about 15 albums on a CD.

I would however like to listen to some of the talk stations...I've been listening to shortwave shows that podcast over the net, and the commercialless, freeform, sometimes vulgar, always insightful shows are great.  Guys like Johnny Lightning will play 10 minutes of obscure 50's music, then 30 minutes of political talk, then a story about a guy he knew, then some more music, then some comedy bits...

That said, I don't see myself getting into sat radio and getting another bill to pay.  The whole thing looks too complicated for me anyways :twak:
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD